PDA

View Full Version : A Few Recent Pieces

Dave Diaman
05-23-2010, 8:43 AM
Hey guys, I have been pretty busy lately and haven’t been posting much but I figured I would post a few of my recent pieces. As you can probably tell from the photos I love figured woods. I still need to have the photo work done to a few so forgive the wonderful background. If you want construction or finish details on any of these feel free to ask. I actually did a 225 page tutorial on the highboy with about 300 photos. I would have posted it here but the last time I posted a tutorial there just didn’t seem to be any interest so I just figured it wasn’t worth taking up the server space.

Here is a William and Mary lowboy

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/eoddave/Furniture/WMresize001.jpg

Chippendale Secretary
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/eoddave/Furniture/DSCN0033.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/eoddave/Furniture/DSCN0031.jpg

Chippendale bonnet top highboy

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/eoddave/Highboy%20build/highboybuild013-6.jpg

Curly oak and walnut table

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/eoddave/Furniture/curlyoaktableresize003.jpg
A few Hoyt chest on frames

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/eoddave/Furniture/QueenAnneChest011crop.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/eoddave/Furniture/QueenAnneChest015crop.jpg

A Newport kneehole desk

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/eoddave/Furniture/kneehole_desk.jpg

A Mass. Block front chest

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/eoddave/Furniture/block_front_chest_01.jpg

A William and Mary highboy

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/eoddave/Furniture/WM01-1-1.jpg

I have close-ups and detail views along with construction photos of most of the pieces too if anyone wants to see those

Gene Howe
05-23-2010, 8:57 AM
Masterful!
Absolutely without peer.
Thanks for the pics.

Dave Verstraete
05-23-2010, 9:26 AM
Beautiful Work!! Thanks for the pics. I'm gonna need to set my sights a little higher now:D

Mikail Khan
05-23-2010, 9:44 AM
Fantastic work Dave.

MK.

Vinny Miseo
05-23-2010, 9:52 AM
Wow!

I really like the oak and walnut table. How did you cut the legs?

Jim Becker
05-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Wow...exquisite work! Thanks for sharing this!

Andrew Gibson
05-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Everything Looks amazing!

I for one would love to see the tutorial!

John Thompson
05-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Outstanding.. I assume you are professional with the quality and the volume you posted?

Bruce Page
05-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Hey Dave, you're starting to show some promise. :rolleyes:

I really love the William and Mary highboy.

Baxter Smith
05-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Impressive work. I won't bother to spend the next hour trying to pick out a favorite!

Joe Shinall
05-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Dave, that makes me feel a little warm inside to know that pieces like that can be made by hand. Absolutely gorgeous. The chippendale secretary is my favorite out of them all. But I would have every one of those in my house!

Stephen Ash
05-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Magnificent work! I would also love to see the build photos...

-Steve

Mark Valsi
05-23-2010, 12:22 PM
HOLY COW !!

I can't comprehend the skill level !!

AMAZING !

gary Zimmel
05-23-2010, 1:00 PM
Beautiful pieces Dave.
Craftsmanship that most of us only dream of...
Thanks for the look see.

Mike Zilis
05-23-2010, 1:41 PM
Thanks for posting those photos. I for one would very much appreciate any level of detail you can share regarding the construction of your pieces (past or present).

Mike

Carl Miller
05-23-2010, 1:59 PM
Dave
I'm agog! Your choice and use of the wood takes this far beyond mere woodworking. It is beautiful artwork and craftmanship.

Jay Jolliffe
05-23-2010, 3:55 PM
Very nice work...Great detail....Beautiful

Eiji Fuller
05-23-2010, 4:53 PM
What the! HOLY SKILLS Woodman!

Just love the william and mary lowboy. The figure in you wood is just incredible and the skill you worked them even more. Makes my work look adolescent.

Randy Gazda
05-23-2010, 6:19 PM
Nice work. My local hardwood store just got a shipment of figured maple in, your photos make me want to go buy the whole pallet! LOL.

Thanks for sharing.

John Pratt
05-23-2010, 7:20 PM
Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this stuff and really turning the corner into quality workmanship, you brought me down quite a few pegs on the ladder. I will now sulk for a few minutes, and then use you as an example to work even harder. That is truly incredible work.

Dave Diaman
05-23-2010, 7:56 PM
Vinny,

For the table I cut the rough shape on a band saw and finished them off with a spoke shave and card scraper.

Andrew, Steven & Mike

I posted the full tutorial on another forum for the bonnet top highboy and a slant front desk where I had a lot of feedback. I don’t think I can reference that forum here due to rules. I started posting a tutorial here before and just didn’t get much interest. I may just be because this is one of the less visited sections of the site. I know a lot of people just go to the general forum and that is about it. The tutorial is a tremendous amount of work. Not just the initial time it took to put it together but the time it takes to post. It is just a little discouraging when you put all that time into something and there is basically no participation. I could try to email it to you but it is a 25 meg file so I would have to break it up. I will try to get some additional photos up tomorrow of a few of the pieces

John,
Yeah, I make sawdust for a living. The majority of the pieces pictured are pieces I have finished in the last 6-8 months. They are probably less than ¼ of my work over that time period but these are some of the stand out pieces. I will try to post some of my other work later.

John Keeton
05-23-2010, 9:26 PM
Dave, this is just incredible work, and I certainly hope you are getting paid fairly for these pieces. Are these commissions, or do you sell through a gallery? Just curious.

Some of the finest work that I have seen!

Carl L Goff
05-23-2010, 9:42 PM
Dave, I can only say what the rest have already said. Your work is fantastic. I really like the william and mary lowboy and highboy.

Bud Millis
05-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Awesome job. You do great work.

Keith Christopher
05-24-2010, 12:55 AM
Being local to you, I might have to come up for some instruction !

wonderful pieces.

Jim Tobias
05-24-2010, 7:10 AM
Wow!! I don't know which is more amazing. The quality of the work or the quantity of the work. To complete one piece like yours seems monumental in terms of craftsmanship and detail work...... but to do so many is truly amazing. Those are very beautiful Dave.
I would be excited to see a tutorial on any of these as it would be a tremendous learning experience.

Jim

John Shuk
05-24-2010, 9:05 AM
Now this is an instance of being able to build for less than purchase price. I see these as priceless bedrooms. This is the combination of craftsmanship and design that illustrates Georges point.

Rick Markham
05-24-2010, 9:33 AM
Dave, Amazing work, I too for one would love to see the tutorials. That is some phenominal work, and very inspiring. Show us!

Michael MacDonald
05-24-2010, 9:44 AM
Wow... now that is real fine furniture. Impressive. And four times that production in 8 months? Tell me you have a team of masters working for you...

Dave Diaman
05-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Wow... now that is real fine furniture. Impressive. And four times that production in 8 months? Tell me you have a team of masters working for you...

I wish but it's just me. Long days and no days off help me keep up.

John,
These are all customer pieces. The only thing I own that I built is my workbench. maybe some day I will get caught up on my backlog and will actually be able to build something for my wife and I.

John Keeton
05-24-2010, 12:06 PM
These are all customer pieces. The only thing I own that I built is my workbench. maybe some day I will get caught up on my backlog and will actually be able to build something for my wife and I.Just like every other trade - the plumber's sink is the last one to get unclogged, and the mechanic works on his clunker IF he finds time! Wish for you, it was different because your wife deserves some of those masterpieces in your home!

Jeff Monson
05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Dave, you must have started the trade very young, and had a very good teacher. At your age and the quality of the work you are doing? WOW, your pieces are truly works of art. I would not even know where to start on some of them. Its very humbling to see your work. You are truly talented.

Dave Diaman
05-24-2010, 2:24 PM
Jeff,
I dabbled a little bit with cabinetry and arts and crafts furniture but built my first period piece in 2008. From the time I cut my first dovetail by hand I was hooked on period furniture. I am basically self taught but give a lot of credit to Glen Huey as he has been a great mentor to me.

Dennis Lopeman
05-24-2010, 10:40 PM
GEEEEEZ. I have a lot to learn!!!!

Don Jarvie
05-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Dave, is it easier to post some of these tutorials on your website or a link off you website it you want to keep the site professional?

I love this type of furniture and would love to try making some of the easier pieces.

Great stuff

Dennis Lopeman
05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
... If you want construction or finish details on any of these feel free to ask. I actually did a 225 page tutorial on the highboy with about 300 photos. I would have posted it here but the last time I posted a tutorial there just didn’t seem to be any interest so I just figured it wasn’t worth taking up the server space.
I have close-ups and detail views along with construction photos of most of the pieces too if anyone wants to see those

I would - You should set up a BLOG of something!! Do you own any Festools? I don't - But Bill Wyko has a album on the festoolownersgroup where you can add pictures and put descriptions on them... if you don't do it here. I found these descriptions very useful.

Although I never told Bill I was learning from his stuff... you might not THINK there is interest if you don't hear back from anyone... maybe they are busy studying!!! And trying to replicate your tutorials...

I love all your pictures here - but REALLY love that desk that you have with the snow in the background (the lowboy) - those LEGS are cool! Your design??

So - being incredibly rude here - but do you mind divulging how much a customer might have to pay you to make some of these? Rough estimates is fine. I'm just starting out woodworking and it would be great insight for me... especially if this will ever replace my current career (I.T. computer admin)! And if you don't answer, I totally understand, too!

Dennis Lopeman
05-25-2010, 12:45 PM
and I see that you DO own some Festools - after checking out your previous posts!

But that tutorial you give is great. I'm not quite a neanderthal (yet) so won't venture into hand cut dove tails... but someday.

Dave Diaman
05-25-2010, 2:51 PM
I’m going to give posting a tutorial here one more shot. It just seems that not a whole lot of people are interested in period furniture these days. I will try to get it started tonight when I get a little free time between dovetails and giving the baby a bath :)

Dennis Lopeman
05-25-2010, 4:05 PM
Maybe you are a little out of some of our leagues...!?!?

I'll be watching and adapting to powertool application. I'm too lazy!! Joking. As I get better and more confident is when I will migrate backwards... but forwards in skills!

Rod Upfold
05-25-2010, 5:54 PM
I sure would be interested seeing the tutorial. I love been shown tricks of the trade - my wife is always showing me new tricks. Just today I learned how to weed the front gardens.

Rod

Brent Ring
05-25-2010, 6:04 PM
Dave,

Please post the tutorials. Sorry you got a colder reception last time - I will read them.

Your work is truly stunning!

Stephen Ash
05-25-2010, 6:24 PM
Hey Dave, I’m also looking forward to your tutorial. I think there are quite a few period furniture builders on this site, and many others who would appreciate more information or pictures related to your build process for any of those fine pieces. On a side note, a 250 page tutorial with 300 pictures sounds very substantial – have you considered trying to have it published?

Regards,
Steve

Dennis Lopeman
05-25-2010, 7:13 PM
Too bad you live so far away. Your wife could teach my wife that.

Bill Bolen
05-25-2010, 7:22 PM
Stunning pieces all. I just ache to touch them.

Joe A Faulkner
05-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Dave, that makes me feel a little warm inside to know that pieces like that can be made by hand. Absolutely gorgeous. The chippendale secretary is my favorite out of them all. But I would have every one of those in my house!

I'd have to go with the William and Mary lowboy. The figured wood on that piece is mesmerizing. How did you finish this piece?

Tom Welch
05-26-2010, 2:03 AM
Dave, All I can say is wow! Those are truly beautiful pieces. As they say, One picture is worth a thousand words. But one of those pictures deserves a thousand "atta boys". I also would like to see your tuturals again. Your work says it all about your talents and skills. Your truly are an artist. Thanks for sharing with us.

Dennis Lopeman
05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
That LOWBOY is my absolute fav, too!