PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NBA playoffs, no thread?

Neal Clayton
05-23-2010, 12:01 AM
a thread then ;).

my observations thus far...

1) whoever let hedo turkgolu get away from the magic needs to be fired. if a different person thought vince carter was a suitable replacement they also need to be fired. not to mention the fact that those mistakes are costing them in the neighborhood of 200 million in wasted time on rashard lewis and dwight howard, who are much lesser players without turkgolu. speaking from experience in all of the time i watched bad owners and bad management waste time with the saints in the NFL, bad management does matter, orlando.

2) nice to see the suns get over the hump and beat the spurs. but it's obviously gonna end there. speaking of bad things that matter, mike d'antoni. getting rid of him and bringing in a coach to implement and demand defensive performance is the reason they're past the spurs. for all of the bad teams that grant hill has played well for over the years, it's nice to see him get a chance at a playoff run too. on a side note, really amare, twittering during the game for a 7500 dollar fine?

3) speaking of fines, wnba commissioner stern is passing them out like candy for people trying to get a leg up on the lebron courting extravaganza. mark cuban got 100k for talking about the lebron scenario in a CNN interview. steve kerr got 10k for joking about it on the radio. maybe they should take up bets on who gets the next lebron fine in vegas (but only if there's an NBA ref involved who can rig the outcome for the local mafia bookie, you keep those priorities clear, david stern).

4) as for the game, which is admittedly slightly less exciting than all of the drama, i think it'll be an honestly good finals between boston and LA, probably one of the better ones in recent memory. the lakers don't have a good option to deal with rondo and the celtics don't have a good option to deal with kobe. will ray allen show up defensively? will lamar odom? equally big 'ifs', not sure how it will pan out. on paper, i think it still favors the celtics, ever so slightly. they have the bodies to throw at gasol and bynum, the lakers don't have alot to throw at paul pierce and they will need lamar odom to contribute, he can't just foul out on pierce every game.

5) and, since no sports post is complete without a bold prediction, i'll go ahead and make one. the winner in the big free agent extravaganza of 2010 won't be the team that gets lebron. it will cost them an outrageous amount of money that they'll have to pay for later, and won't likely get a championship from it. lost in the lebron soap opera will be the team that gets dirk nowitzki. dirk is a matchup nightmare. he can lead your team in scoring and rebounds at the same time. he's a 90% free throw shooter so you can't throw fouls at him, and if you don't have a center who can guard him past 15 feet, dirk can even shoot threes over him. and if dirk's interest/price wanes in the big competition to woo lebron, some smart team will build a championship roster with dirk, instead of lebron.

Al Wasser
05-23-2010, 2:42 PM
How about having a fine young point guard and then get both Dirk and Lebron. Don't know who could afford that off hand.

Neal Clayton
05-23-2010, 3:44 PM
How about having a fine young point guard and then get both Dirk and Lebron. Don't know who could afford that off hand.

i'm hoping against hope that the hornets might make a run at dirk, but logic says he'll want to go to a contender and is thus probably out of their league.

as for young teams that seem to be doing everything right, OKC and Portland are just on the verge of becoming contenders, i think. those two would be the most likely to be in the running to land a star player in free agency, imo.

Horton Brasses
05-24-2010, 2:02 PM
Pierce is a fine option to counter Kobe. He handled LeBron. No one can coutner Rondo at this point (no pun intended). KG and Gasol are a wash. the Celtics other big men can certainly handle whomever else the Lakers have in the middle (Bynum appears to be it). It seems to me the series will be hinge on who does better Ray Allen or the Lakers bench.

Cuban would gladly pay the 100K fine many times over if he got LeBron to sign. I think that this was a calculated thing to do on his part as no one was talking about Dallas being in the LeBron sweepstakes up to that point. He is a smart man and a good owner. Even if he has no shot at James, he knows the value of publicity and talk.

Jason Roehl
05-24-2010, 4:56 PM
NBA = Not Basketball Anymore. ;)

I can't recall the last time I watched a game. Probably sometime shortly after Reggie Miller retired, and Ron Artest proved he was just another gang-baller. Pretty much the only basketball I watch these days is the NCAA tourney, and even during that I have a hard time with the sloppy fundamentals that are allowed, along with refs that I have a hard time believing are impartial.

Mike Wilkins
05-25-2010, 10:30 AM
These are only my opinions:
1. Looks like LA and Boston will meet-again in the finals. Nice rivalry back in
the day with Magic and Bird.
2. Orlando needs a seasoned veteran who can slap some playing sense into
Howard's head. Does not look like Vince can get it done. I really don't think
Howard is playing to his potential.
3. LA and their coach figured out how to counter the Suns and their run and
gun playing style, by slowing things down and playing physical defense.
I still feel LA will get to the finals, but I hope they start their summer
vacation as crying losers. I don't care for Kobe, as I don't care for arrogant
people. Yes, he is a great player, but his smug attitude is too much for me.
Boston in 6.

Neal Clayton
05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
on a much funnier note, i saw this on another forum...

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zcjmed.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/besqz5.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/atjjp.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2d18pd.jpg
http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx12/cosby86/KOB-ET.jpg
http://cdn.tss.uproxx.com/TSS/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Kobe-Vs-Utah-2-540x385.jpg
http://cdn.tss.uproxx.com/TSS/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Kobe-Vs.-Utah-540x359.jpg

Greg Peterson
05-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Magic vs. Bird was an instant classic. A 2010 Boston vs. LA finals would have no similarity to the 80's matches. It will likely be the best matchup and ABC and the NBA will likely try to compare it to the classic series from the 80's.

Boston is a veteran savvy team. But they are a bunch of cheap shot thugs. Don't like seeing them win. Period. But the Celtics franchise is one of the most storied franchises in the league (Havlicek, Russell, Cousy, McHale, Parrish, Bird, Dennis Johnson, KC Jones)

My DNA does not allow me to root for the Lakers. Sorry, just can not do it. I like some of the retired players (Wilkes, Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Scott, West, Nixon, Rambis).

Lebron will only play in one of four cities (listed in descending order of likelihood); Cleveland, Chicago, New York or LA.

Portland and OKC are to small. OKC has a really nice team. But like Portland, they have too much youth. LA and Boston have the right blend of youthful energy and veteran wisdom.

This past season was basically a lost season for Portland. With the number of injuries, the team was never able to get a steady rotation and establish a style of play. The core players have only managed to play a handful of games together. Should they ever get healthy and play together for more than a thirty or forty games, who knows, they may be pretty good.