PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #5 with the flat rib on heel and toe?

Walter McGuire
05-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Hello esteemed galoots,

I dropped my #5 type 11 on the floor and broke it clean in half...must have been some internal or looked over flaws there...ugh! I've been combing through Ebay for a replacement and it seems that every one I come across is out of my current price range...Except for the later types with the ribs on the heel and toe. Are these any good for users? For some reason or another...probably something i've read...I turn the other way when I see one of these. I'm pretty well versed on Stanley planes and know for the most part what to look for as a sign of quality...except when it comes to these ribs. Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tom Vanzant
05-22-2010, 11:35 PM
All Stanley bench planes manufactured since 1933 (Type 16) have the raised flat rib at the toe and heel.

Jim Koepke
05-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Just looked at this one, no bids. Not sure about the shipping to you, but it should fit in a $10.70 flat rate box.

Item 130392161629 ends in about 24 hours.

I have not looked real close at this, but it looks like the base is good and from the SW era.

It does look like the wrong knob and the handle has a chunk missing.

I would send a note to the seller and ask a few questions and more pictures if you are interested. Either that or look for something a little further out. If the base on this is not damaged and is useable, this could be one of those ugly ducks that can be a real swan. Then you would also be on your way to a few spare parts for your next fixer upper or you could maybe sell them.

Also, just remembered, if you have all type 11 parts, you do not want a body with a ring around where the front knob seats.

As stated before, I have no interest in this plane, do not know the seller and have not evaluated it fully.

jim

Jim Koepke
05-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Hello esteemed galoots,

I dropped my #5 type 11 on the floor and broke it clean in half...must have been some internal or looked over flaws there...ugh!

Actually, if it hits the floor just right, that is the weakest part of the casting on either side of the mouth.

Save the parts. They can be filed down and then used to hold a knob and tote when you want to repair one or finish one.

Also, check this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1315827#poststop

Good luck,

jim

Walter McGuire
05-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Hey Jim, thanks for the handy tip for the handle holder. I loved the newly discovered bullnose plane...with a corrugated sole even (WOW). Did it come with a single knobbed sanding block with dust channeling ribs...that's actually a pretty good idea. *Laughs*. Maybe i should make the best of my broken type 11 and see what it can be useful for...kinda like a neander version of a Shopsmith.

I'm glad to know the type 16 and up are still good planes if carefully eyed...as long as they're not blue (been there and done that...this is why we do research).