PDA

View Full Version : GRR-Ripper question

scott vroom
05-22-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm looking at buying the GRR-Ripper and was wondering if there is an advantage in owning more than one. From the pictures it looks like only one is used at a time, yet several folks on SMC have mentioned they own 2 and I'm wondering why.

thx

Charlie Gummer
05-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi Scott,

I've recently purchased a GRR-Ripper as well as the MJ splitter. I haven't used the GRR-Ripper extensively but I've already found myself wishing I had a second on some longer rips. I believe I'll be adding a second to my setup soon.

Regards,
Charlie

scott vroom
05-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks, Charlie. I've got a riving knife on my TS so guess I don't need the splitter, if I understand it's function correctly.

Sounds like having 2 GRR-Rippers is a plus on longer stock.

Did you purchase the instructional DVD? I was checking out YouTube and there are a number of vids from MicroJig about how to use their product, not sure if their DVD is worth 10 bucks.

Don Morris
05-23-2010, 1:08 AM
You need 2 for long stock. I have 2 and retrieve the first while the second is still holding the piece against the fence. Saw it demo'd at a wwing show originally and bought 2. Glad I did.

scott vroom
05-23-2010, 1:14 AM
Thanks Don. I'm gonna buy 2. Hey, did you happen to purchase the instructional DVD? Is it worth 10 bucks? Do they include adequate written instructions with the Grr-ripper?

Andy Sowers
05-23-2010, 1:32 AM
Yeah, you'll definitely want two unless you only ever do short rips.

I think the DVD came free with mine when I got them as a set a few years back. Worth $10... I don't know. Its been awhile since I watched it. i think there were a few custom applications they showed use for. But seems like almost everything you need to know is either in the instructions or on their webpage.

Victor Robinson
05-23-2010, 3:21 AM
Scott,

I bought the DVD recently for $9. I'm not sure it's worth it - if you just watch all the vids on their website as well as any GRR-ripper videos you can find on YouTube, I don't think you'll find much to be new material on the DVD.

By the way, we're pretty close. If you want to borrow it, you're more than welcome.

Michael Heffernan
05-23-2010, 8:24 AM
I have two of the GR-200 model. Definitely worth getting the deluxe model. I use both, mainly on my router table to hold the stock flat and tight to the fence. For longer rips on the TS, you definitely need two to keep one always in contact with the stock. I sometimes use it on my bandsaw for resaws.
Get the 1/8" legs if you intend to rip a lot of thin stock.
I got the DVD included when I bought the first one. It's dull, but good information. Not worth $10, IMO. But I think you can get most of this info online at microjig.com (http://www.microjig.com)

Myk Rian
05-23-2010, 8:40 AM
Not sure why you asked the question here, and also sent me a PM, but I'll answer here also.

I have 2 because I use them for the jointer also.

Joe Mioux
05-23-2010, 9:10 AM
two is the way to go. or at least the way i go.

glenn bradley
05-23-2010, 9:22 AM
I run two. One has the 1/8" side plate installed for really narrow rips. This allows greater versatility and I can still use them as a pair on longer rips. I took them apart and sanded the channel to allow easier adjustment. I would advise this to any owner and wish they came this way.

The large foot and some of the other pieces went unused for the first several months I owned them until I started to learn how versatile these safety blocks can be. Don't be afraid to think outside the box with them. I have never used the handle bridge option and so cannot speak to that. All in all, if one disappeared, I would order a replacement without hesitation.