PDA

View Full Version : Best place to scavange metal

Brendan Plavis
05-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I was wondering if any of you fine gents perhaps knew the best place to scavenge metal... I am looking to make a work bench, and was thinking that I might do it either wood framed with a sheet metal top, or perhaps a completely metal one.. I am looking to do it as cheap as possible.

The reason I dont want to do all wood, is becuase I am usually sloppy with paint jobs and with grease... so, I want something that cleans easy.

Considering that sheet metal goes for about five bucks per 1ft², its not exactly cheap... I was wondering whether the dump/compost facility(ours takes appliances) would be the best place... And lastly, do facilities need to have a sign that says that you can scavange? I know my grandfather scavanged some headboards for our beds from his dump... but, I dont exacly want to partake in any illegal matters.... it wouldnt look good on the college application... "Arrested for robbery of dump trash...."

Thanks

-Brendan

(sorry if it seems rushed... my stupid finger hit the back button on the mouse... I lost all that I typed out.... grr...)

george wilson
05-22-2010, 11:35 PM
It would help to know your location. I go to 2 different scrap metal yards in Hampton.

One time I found a whole pallet of new bars of 01 tool steel. The stack was 4" high!! I bought just about all of it. Unfortunately,most of it is fairly big stuff,like 1" X 3",but at the scrap steel price I wasn't going to let it get away.

It's always pot luck. I wish I were closer to those yards. Any near you?

Brendan Plavis
05-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Nope.... we got none out here in the stix.(RI)

I did find an old refrigerator.. but I mistakenly chucked it, after I got frustrated that I couldnt find piping inside it(for a science project).... should have saved that(it was a mini fridge, so it wasnt too much of a space taker upper...)

Paul Atkins
05-23-2010, 1:04 AM
Considering the problem you have with rust---I'd look for a recycled countertop of formica or plastic. Do you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore near by? Maybe ask the countertop shop for a used one when they rip one out.

Bill LaPointe
05-23-2010, 3:52 AM
The Salvation Army store will have all kinds of things they will give you to haul them off.

george wilson
05-23-2010, 9:00 AM
There should be a lot of old industrial surplus in RI. It was a big jewelry making state,among other things. I like the formica idea. Less harsh on your projects than sheet metal,unless you can find some restaurant kitchen counter top.

Myk Rian
05-23-2010, 9:06 AM
Look for an old solid core door. I use one because those doors are heavy. A nailer on the wall and 2x4 frame holds it up.

Lee Koepke
05-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Another easy solution to your stated problem is using a masonite cover on top of the bench. Tack it down with small brads and remove it when it gets too soiled.

Use a light coat of paste wax on top on a regular basis and that helps with glue / paint clean-up.

A sheet of masonite is usually less than $8 ... heck of alot less effort than metal working.

John McClanahan
05-23-2010, 10:43 AM
We have a couple of steel benches at work. The tops are springy, not solid like a lumber top. A metal frame with wood top would be a good choice.

I used solid core doors to build a computer center / desk. I quickly learned doors are made to hang vertically. When lying flat, they need to be well supported or they will sag.

John

Brendan Plavis
05-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks. Unfortunately none of those places are in my area.... grrrr....(maybe there are some in providence... but thats about an hour away...)

I guess I will just have to try the compost facility.... Or maybe the dump down the cape, if I go down there this year...

William Duffer
05-23-2010, 12:53 PM
If you lived near me you could just go to the neighbors house, most around here will sell you their scrap for a sixer. :D:D:D:D:D

Brendan Plavis
05-23-2010, 1:18 PM
If you lived near me you could just go to the neighbors house, most around here will sell you their scrap for a sixer. :D:D:D:D:D
Better be coke.... I doubt it would look good, a minor giving someone a six pack....... :rolleyes:

Alan Schwabacher
05-23-2010, 2:50 PM
For most woodworking, a wooden benchtop is nice. Have you considered a cheap plastic tablecloth to cover your bench when you paint? A second cover would do for grease, but if your bench is often used for metal work where sharp scraps are likely to contaminate it, a cloth won't do, but you would need to protect woodworking projects from this stuff. A removable masonite (hardboard) bench cover could be used for one or the other type of project. If you want it to stay in place without needing to tack it down, you can put an edging around either the cover or the bench.

Brendan Plavis
05-23-2010, 3:42 PM
hmmm... well, ill seee what I can scavange... maybe if I can find some decent wood, make a dual top...

Grrr... not a very happy camper... I just got a spark in my shoe... so that bench is starting to sound more and more like a better idea(was taking the angle grinder w/ Wire brush to an old vise I am restoring.... while it was on the floor..... grr...)

John Pratt
05-23-2010, 7:15 PM
If all you want the table for is finishing (paints, varnishes, etc) and not woodworking. try a restaurant or food service auction. I picked up two metal tables really cheap that sit in my finish room. They are remarkably easy to clean. If you don't mind spending money, Sams club has a similar table in three different sizes fairly cheap.

Brendan Plavis
05-24-2010, 4:09 PM
It will kind of be a one size fits all thing... I currently have to put my work together on the concrete floor... which makes me not so happy.... even worse, as I mentioned, is things that make sparks..... they usually end up in my shoes some how....

Unfortunately I do not have the room for tables just for this, and tables just for that. Although that would be pleasant.... :)

Josiah Bartlett
05-24-2010, 7:30 PM
A metal security door might work pretty well if you aren't putting heavy point loads on it. A solid wood surface covered with metal is more solid, or a scrap piece of granite, concrete, or other countertop would be good.

If you wanted to teach yourself how to pour your own concrete countertop, you could get a pretty good surface.

Brendan Plavis
05-24-2010, 7:49 PM
A metal security door might work pretty well if you aren't putting heavy point loads on it. A solid wood surface covered with metal is more solid, or a scrap piece of granite, concrete, or other countertop would be good.

If you wanted to teach yourself how to pour your own concrete countertop, you could get a pretty good surface.

Concrete counter! Okay batman... let me eat me spinich first....

Concrete... that might be a tad heavy.... I seem to have pictures in my head of that somehow falling on my foot(the unimaginable always seems to happen to me....)