PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Recommendations

Dan Mages
05-22-2010, 9:58 PM
Is it too early to buy a shotgun? What models are the best? Do they make special models for lefties?

My 3 month old daughter, Abby, is a bundle of cuteness. I cannot go anywhere without people oogling over her. I think the highest single day oogler count is 46 during my wife's business trip to Schenectady, NY last week. As far as I know, this is level of oogling is beyond normal. If she stays this cute, I will need a good shotgun to keep the boyfriends in line.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/Abigail/102_0017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/Abigail/102_0071.jpg

Dan

Rod Sheridan
05-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Dan, she's a cutie for sure, congratulations.

Being the father of two daughters, I briefly considered a shotgun, then found a safer and more productive tool............A lawnmower.

Yep, a lawnmower, I always told my kids that I only wanted to see boys around the house who knew how to push a lawnmower, run a paint brush, and laugh at my jokes, no matter how lame they are.:D

Seems to have worked, they've both had some very nice boyfriends.

Regards, Rod

Myk Rian
05-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Forget the shotgun. Get an Uzi.:eek:

John Daugherty
05-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Dan, I'd definitely get a pump (for the sound effects) and take the plug out!:D

She is a cutie.

Dan Mages
05-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Dan, she's a cutie for sure, congratulations.

Being the father of two daughters, I briefly considered a shotgun, then found a safer and more productive tool............A lawnmower.

Yep, a lawnmower, I always told my kids that I only wanted to see boys around the house who knew how to push a lawnmower, run a paint brush, and laugh at my jokes, no matter how lame they are.:D

Seems to have worked, they've both had some very nice boyfriends.

Regards, Rod

If I have my way, she will learn to push a lawnmower, run a paint brush, bake a mean loaf of bread, and laugh at my mean jokes. While a boyfriend is nice, I want her to be able to take care of herself.

Forget the shotgun. Get an Uzi.:eek:

My mother served in the Israeli Air Force and could field strip an Uzi blindfolded... no kidding.

Matt Meiser
05-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Funny--my first thought when I read the title, before I knew you were joking (or were you?) was that you've got a few years to worry about this one. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Get the shotgun!

Dan she's a cutie now......she'll grow up to be bright and beautiful.

Zach England
05-22-2010, 11:17 PM
When I started reading it I thought you were buying a shotgun for your three-year-old.

Pat Germain
05-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Eight-gauge ought to do it.

Paul Atkins
05-23-2010, 1:19 AM
Maybe a shotgun with "flesh sensing technology" - If you know what I mean---

Joe Chritz
05-23-2010, 4:44 AM
Double barrel. No shell ejection and no rifling marks since it is smoothbore. Much less forensics that way.

Joe

Chris Kennedy
05-23-2010, 7:14 AM
I had a colleague with teenage daughters. Whenever a boyfriend came to pick one up, he would be certain to be cleaning his shotgun just so the boy could see.

Chris

Mike Cutler
05-23-2010, 8:33 AM
She's way cute Dan.. I think you're going to need a SPAS 12.;)

david m carter
05-23-2010, 1:16 PM
Any 12 gauge double barrel makes a great first impression and they're ambidextrous. :D

I did make a point of being in the middle of cleaning a shotgun when a couple of the oldest daughter's unknown dates arrived. Trap and skeet shooting was one of our family activities so shotgun cleaning was not an uncommon activity in our household. Upon arrival one boy asked about the gun that I had disassembled on the coffee table, we got to talking trap and skeet shooting until sweetypie started pushing him toward the front door, dad nearly stole the poor girl's date. :o

Al Wasser
05-23-2010, 2:38 PM
I worked 2-3 springs at a local garden center. One day a lady came in looking for some plants and I tried to help. Turned out she wanted some cactus or thorny bushes to plant outside her daughters window so she would quit sneaking out to see the boyfriend. Don't know if it worked or not.

Art Mulder
05-23-2010, 4:30 PM
Dan,
Make sure you've got the squeaky rocking chair on the front porch, along with the bib overalls, to go with that shotgun.
(12" stalk of grass between your teeth is optional.)

Tom Winship
05-23-2010, 6:14 PM
A friend of mine used to give the boys that dated his daughter a 12 gauge shell the first time they came over. He would tell the boys that the 12 meant the time she had to be home or they would get the other barrel. He said she always was home.

John Pratt
05-23-2010, 7:06 PM
You just had to bring it up, didn't you...

Now you got my mind in overdrive, again. I have a 14 year old girl who is just starting to go through the "phases" of teenage stupidity. I can't even imagine what it will be like when my twin 8 year old girls get there. I am not sure the gun cleaning technique will work here. Every 10 year old boy in Oklahoma has his own extensive gun collection. I think the best response may be, "Son, I have no problem with going back to prison." He doesn't need to know that I have never been there.

Dan Mages
05-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone. She is a real cutie.

I think an AA-12 will make a good impression, but who knows what might be designed in the next 14 years.

Dan

Pat Germain
05-24-2010, 9:18 AM
When my daughter was 14, I told her to never forget that all boys are stupid-heads. "Oh, and you were a stupid head?" she quipped.

"I was definately a stupid-head," I assured her.

A year later, I picked her up from school and she was really steamed. "Dad," she said calmly. "Boys are stupid-heads". She is now 22 and still doesn't have time for guys.

Charlie Reals
05-24-2010, 9:58 AM
When my daughter was 14, I told her to never forget that all boys are stupid-heads. "Oh, and you were a stupid head?" she quipped.

"I was definately a stupid-head," I assured her.

A year later, I picked her up from school and she was really steamed. "Dad," she said calmly. "Boys are stupid-heads". She is now 22 and still doesn't have time for guys.

Very similar to the conversations I had with 5 daughters over the years. and 4 granddaughters. I just recently had the same conversation with a 14 yr old great granddaughter. So far it has worked with all but 3 of them :D:D
Mine was " you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas".
I just let the young men know that no meant no and once she said no he'd better stop. Up till then all was cool.
Charlie

David Epperson
05-24-2010, 10:15 AM
I worked 2-3 springs at a local garden center. One day a lady came in looking for some plants and I tried to help. Turned out she wanted some cactus or thorny bushes to plant outside her daughters window so she would quit sneaking out to see the boyfriend. Don't know if it worked or not.
Sawgrass. Stuff is NASTY to get into. Was going to say Yucca, but it breaks too easily. Sawgrass is indestructible.

Phyllis Meyer
05-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Dan,

What a beautiful little girl! Congratulations! Our two Daughters know how to shoot all their Dad's guns! They look like Barbie Dolls so he thought it was important to teach them gun safety (or was it boyfriend safety:rolleyes:)!

Phyllis:)

Joel Goodman
05-24-2010, 7:59 PM
There's a line in "Clueless" from the father when a boy is taking out his teenage daughter which is something like -- " I have a .45 and a shovel and no one will miss you; have her home at 10."

Charlie Reals
05-24-2010, 8:13 PM
There's a line in "Clueless" from the father when a boy is taking out his teenage daughter which is something like -- " I have a .45 and a shovel and no one will miss you; have her home at 10."

Yeah and we are all clueless if we think any of the drill makes a hoot in the short run. We all know what the boys intentions are :D:D By the way, what is your attitude towards any teenage sons or grandsons? is it the same or is it "go gettem boy"? just a thought.
Charlie

Joe Mioux
05-24-2010, 8:36 PM
Congratulations Dan and family.

remington 1100 is a good basic shotgun:rolleyes:

John Keeton
05-24-2010, 9:13 PM
Folks, Dan has a beautiful daughter, and let's don't let this thread drift into a discussion of teenage proclivities. Thanks!

Russ Filtz
05-27-2010, 1:55 PM
The answer to ANY shotgun question is the SAIGA-12! Does it all, while looking cool (after conversion), AND has as good or better racking noise than a pump.

Belinda Barfield
05-27-2010, 2:31 PM
My mother served in the Israeli Air Force and could field strip an Uzi blindfolded... no kidding.

She is really a cutie, Dan.

My suggestions?
1. Send her to visit her grandmother.
2. When her date arrives she should make him watch and wait while she finishes cleaning her own gun. That leaves a lasting impression. All ladies need to be self sufficient. :D