PDA

View Full Version : HF 2hp Dust Collector problems

Mark Kimerling
05-22-2010, 9:31 PM
I just purchased the 2hp HF dust collector. Got it all together and working with out any issues. I fired it up about 4-5 times with out any problems. Then when I tried showing it off to my father it didn't want to start. It sounded like the capacitor was at fault because the motor just buzzed. I tried to spin the impeller over with a stick and while it was still rotating flick the switch but that didn't help. Has anyone else had a problem like that?

Brian Effinger
05-22-2010, 10:49 PM
While I haven't had any problems myself, I believe I remember reading about bad switches in these DC's. I'd go back the the store and tell them of the problem. They should be able to give you a new switch for it.

David Hostetler
05-23-2010, 12:51 AM
As new as that one is, take it back... No sense in trying to fix a brand new DC....

Mark Kimerling
05-23-2010, 8:44 AM
Ya I am going to give them a call this morning. I am hoping that I can just take the motor/impeller unit in and switch it with another one so I don't have to take the whole thing apart and reassemble another one. Its not that it was too difficult to put together, just so many little bolts and screws.

Mark Kimerling
05-23-2010, 9:51 PM
Well they exchanged the motor/impeller with another one they had in stock. No questions asked and took about a minute all together. Now I just have to run some piping and start to enjoy not having as much saw dust floating around.:D

Darren Almeida
05-24-2010, 8:04 AM
Now I just have to run some piping and start to enjoy not having as much saw dust floating around.:D

I'm not an expert, but if you ran it with no/minimal ducts attached, that could be why the motor blew. From what I have read, with no ducts there is no load on the motor and it can burn out. Just a guess.

- d

David Hostetler
05-24-2010, 11:55 AM
While the HF 2HP DC isn't the best of its class, unless of course you consider its price class... a bum motor should not be a problem with these... Chances are excellent you just got a production glitch. Heck even Powermatic has those...

Good luck with the rest of your DC project... I am getting MUCH closer to being able to move forward with mine... I am psyched!

Louie Ballis
05-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Have the same DC.

One HF product that worked as expected. I highly reccomend the Wynn Filter for it.

Makes teh DC much more efficent, and your shop and lungs will breath ezer because of it.