PDA

View Full Version : Maple Pottery Form

Mike Minto
05-22-2010, 9:26 PM
Looks like a thrown piece of pottery, to me, anyway. Maple, same log as two earlier forms I posted. Had a pretty good day - finished this, started and finished another SW form I'll probably post tomorrow, and ruined a piece of cedar that held sentimental value :mad:. Oh, well. About 9"x6", walls about 1/4". Finished with Deft, not yet buffed.

Baxter Smith
05-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Pretty piece of wood and form.

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Mike - real nice work! The form actually reminds me more of blown glass - as in inflated. Nice shape! Is the bottom rounded or slightly recessed?

David E Keller
05-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Very nice. I like the way the heartwood colors the top of the piece like a glaze.

John Keeton
05-23-2010, 6:24 AM
Mike, very uniform curve on this piece - very nice!! I love the color and figure in the maple, and you did a great job on this one.

Mike Minto
05-23-2010, 7:28 AM
Mike - real nice work! The form actually reminds me more of blown glass - as in inflated. Nice shape! Is the bottom rounded or slightly recessed?

Steve, the bottom is just kinda rounds down from the sides to a 2" or so flat spot. Does look 'fat', doesn't it? lol.

Jeff Nicol
05-23-2010, 8:25 AM
Mike, I think it has the right shape with the "Fat" just where it needs to be. The way the wood was oriented shows the bits of figure and the darkness of the heartwood. I have said this many times before, that some of the simplest forms are still the most pleasing to the eye.

You did good!

Jeff

charlie knighton
05-23-2010, 8:55 AM
very nice....

Allen Neighbors
05-23-2010, 2:16 PM
Looks like an Indian Water Pot! Very nice! The shape is perfect for it. They'd tie a leather strap around the top, and throw it into the river to fill it. Had several pots on one strap, if there were a group of them. (pic, below, Different woods... about 4.5" dia.)
Beautiful wood, Well done, Mike! Several of those would sell!!

Harvey Ghesser
05-23-2010, 5:54 PM
Nice work Mike! Think about making a couple more identical smaller ones and calling it a set.

Roland Martin
05-23-2010, 7:47 PM
Very nice form and the maple is great. Good job!