PDA

View Full Version : How long do I let wax dry?

Brendan Plavis
05-22-2010, 8:08 PM
Well, I took a angle grinder wire brush to the BS, which cleaned the surface rust off decently(there is still some mild rust/stains) with only a few dings(little pock marks) but few in number. Now my question is how long do I let Johnson's PW dry before buffing? I wonder If I buffed too early last time... Not to mention I think I found the oxidizer.... rodant bombs(not bug; things like skunks and weasles) which contained something oxide... aka an oxidizer....

-Thanks,
Brendan-

Dave MacArthur
05-22-2010, 8:13 PM
I'll bet there are some directions on the can.
That's known as "dry wit".

glenn bradley
05-22-2010, 8:19 PM
You can let the wax dry until it shows a dull cloudy surface but this is harder to buff off. f you do not wait long enough you will just wipe the wax back off and get little protection. Somewhere in the middle works for me. Your weather and environment will alter your times but in So Cal; I wipe it on like I am waxing the car starting at one end and working through till I have covered everything. About a minute after it first starts to fog I buff it starting at the same end I started applying it from and working through to the end. This has been working well for me for years.

Rich Engelhardt
05-23-2010, 6:47 AM
I let it dry until it just starts to get cloudy, then I buff it off.

(I'm 58)

40 years ago, I'd have let it get all the way dry - to the point that pushing your finger across the surface would produce a fine wax "dust" - then used a ton of elbow grease and gone to town.

These days - after 40 years of a two pack a day habit, a river of hopps flavored suds, a few semi loads of fatty foods & a two decade long job of being a desk jocky......... :D

Myk Rian
05-23-2010, 8:54 AM
Have you tried melting the wax onto the table with a heat gun or hair dryer?
That's what I do, then I buff it.

John Thompson
05-23-2010, 9:09 AM
With JPW I let it start to haze.. then wipe. With Renaissance which I now use on machines.. get it on and get it off immediately if not sooner! ;)