PDA

View Full Version : Familiar masking material ?

Hannu Rinne
05-22-2010, 6:55 PM
Maybe this case is discussed here many, many times but I just put it here.

I've been searching some suitable masking material for my needs and I think I've found a good solution. I've tested 3M-product ( SCPS-100 ) with several different materials and so far the results with granite, acrylic, wood and glass have been pretty good. This masking paper ( or tape ) seems to stick very nicely to every of those materials without leaving any marks on those when pulling off. Also, you can engrave very small and sharp text with good result. Cutting goes nicely and color filling is simple. I attached here some test pictures from where you can see the results. That material is baltic birch and the size of that plaque is about 150x90mm ( about 5,9"x3,5" I think ? ). After engraving it's filled with acrylic paint and I let it dry about 3 hour's before removing the tape ( the paint was still little wet, but because I'm not very patient, I just took the mask off :) ). The reason why I painted the plaque overall was that I wanted to see if the paint goes through the mask - it didn't ! Mask paper removed easily and the small areas I scraped with piece of sharp edge acrylic without any mess. One thing I was worried about was that how the paint would mess the edges but there wasn't any sign of it ( even after quite wet paint ). As far as I know, this material doesn't include PVC. It rupture's quite easily and when I burned it, there wasn't any green flame... But I can't be sure about the content, so maybe here is someone who can say if it's PVC free...? There is also the same masking paper with aggressive glue, type is SCPS-2 ( I haven't tested it yet, but I will as soon as I get it ). These papers are also quite cheap, 300mm X 90meters is about $60,- ( 3 wides, from 60,- to 140,- $ / 90metres ) and I think that this material is easy to find from all over the world... If anyone have any experience about this stuff, it would be great to hear... ( sorry my Fingrish :) )

Regards,
- Hannu

Mike Null
05-23-2010, 8:53 AM
That's a great result. I'd be concerned about the extensive amount of weeding on a job like that but if you were able to remove it without effect then even that speaks well for the mask.

Martin Boekers
05-23-2010, 3:25 PM
Weeding is a big concern for me. Lately more an more plaques come in that need a fill.

I haven't been able to come up with a process that would help eleviate the weeding time are eliminate it.

Any tricks out there?

I have thought about using water slide decal material but haven't had a chance to play with it.

Marty

Rodne Gold
05-23-2010, 3:50 PM
Paper based sign application tape just rolls off when moistened - weeding is a snap.

Doug Griffith
05-23-2010, 4:05 PM
Weeding is a big concern for me. Lately more an more plaques come in that need a fill.

I haven't been able to come up with a process that would help eleviate the weeding time are eliminate it.

Any tricks out there?

I have thought about using water slide decal material but haven't had a chance to play with it.

Marty

Here is something that might be worth a try if using oil based color fills / paints and water won't affect the substrate. Spray it on. Let dry. Laser. Fill. wash away with water. In theory, it seems like it would work well as long as it lasers safely.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTtNxf_oxftEVuQE cuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

Jeremy Brown
05-23-2010, 4:25 PM
I use masking tape alot, we engrave alot of 2-way radio equipment and the plastic is grainy or textured plastic. After trying a bunch of different tapes, I use a 3m tape thats green(sorry not at work, dont know the model#) The packaging said it was made to stick to things normal tape doesn't. I dont get the paint "wicking out" under the tape on my edges.

Way better results then using the normal blue or tan painters tape.

By the way, what is the term Weeding mean?

Larry Bratton
05-23-2010, 4:50 PM
I use masking tape alot, we engrave alot of 2-way radio equipment and the plastic is grainy or textured plastic. After trying a bunch of different tapes, I use a 3m tape thats green(sorry not at work, dont know the model#) The packaging said it was made to stick to things normal tape doesn't. I dont get the paint "wicking out" under the tape on my edges.

Way better results then using the normal blue or tan painters tape.

By the way, what is the term Weeding mean?
Weeding is the process of removing the applied mask or exposing the areas to be paint filled. It is usually processed by vector cutting an outline around those areas in the mask and then picking (weeding) it out to expose the areas to accept fill, leaving the other on the piece to protect it.

Martin Boekers
05-23-2010, 5:03 PM
Thanks for the help! I knew there had to be a better way.

Marty

Hannu Rinne
05-23-2010, 6:01 PM
Here is few more pictures about that plaque before engraving, cutting and painting it.

Dan Hintz
05-23-2010, 6:41 PM
Jeremy,

The green tape sounds a log like Frog Tape... it's like painter's tape with the same stuff they use in baby's diapers. When moisture hits it, it expands, so no more seeping.

Albert Nix
05-23-2010, 9:36 PM
Frog tape does not stick that well for me. 3m also makes a green tape for the automotive paint folks. I use it all the time for appling vinyl. It stick great, but I have not tried it as a laser mask yet. I thing the 3m part number is 46334 for the 3/4 " but comes in other widths also.

Jeremy Brown
05-24-2010, 2:22 PM
Jeremy,

The green tape sounds a log like Frog Tape... it's like painter's tape with the same stuff they use in baby's diapers. When moisture hits it, it expands, so no more seeping.

Its not Frog Tape

that part number is #2060 It has Scotch/3m written all over the inside.
it's a lime green looking stuff. I can't find it at Home depot but they have tons of it at Porter Paints.

Don Necaise
05-25-2010, 5:50 PM
Where can I find this 3m tape i am in need of some myself
Thanks

Jeremy Brown
05-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Where can I find this 3m tape i am in need of some myself
Thanks

if you talking about the tape I use, l get it at Porter Paints. Google Porter Paints for a locations near you.

You can also get this tape off Amazon, just Google "Scotch 3m 2060"

You might check around at your local paint or hardware store. Like I said above, My home depot didn't carry it.