PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Melamine Edge Trimming

Porter Bassett
05-22-2010, 6:54 PM
I've been calling and googling around, and I can't find any place to buy the T-shaped rubber trim you'd put on, say, a round melamine table.

My sister-in-law wants me to help her make a custom-shaped table for her children, and I don't want to use the sharp-edged melamine edging.

Also, what would the best type of jigsaw blade for cutting melamine? With my wood blade, I'm getting really bad chipout on the top side (the bottom is beautiful, though.

Jamie Buxton
05-22-2010, 6:57 PM
Here's a source for the edging: http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Edge%20Tape%2C%20Cabinet/CatID/Plastic%20T%20Edging/showprod/1

For cutting the melamine, I'd give up on the jigsaw, or hide the chip-out on the bottom side. You can get a completely clean edge with a router and a circle-cutting jig. You can buy commercial one, or make one. The jig is essentially a stick. One end is fastened to the router. The other end has a pin -- a nail, a dowel, or the like -- that goes into a matching hole in the bottom face of the table.

Gerry Grzadzinski
05-22-2010, 6:59 PM
Rough cut it about 1/8" oversize, and trim to size with a router and template. I don't know any way to get good cuts on both sides with a jigsaw.

Greg Wease
05-22-2010, 8:18 PM
Rockler has T-molding. You'll also need a slot cutting bit to make the narrow kerf cut for the stem of the T.

Van Huskey
05-22-2010, 9:29 PM
Router is the best way to go, rough cut then trim. If you have to use the jig saw get the Bosch blades.

Also besides the T-molding and iron on veneer then "breaking the edge" should be fine I would think, but depends on the age and clumsiness of the kids.

Thomas Hotchkin
05-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Try Outwater Plastics. Tom

Thomas Hotchkin
05-22-2010, 11:35 PM
:)Try Outwater Plastics. Tom