PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo "open grain" question

Michael Ginsberg
05-22-2010, 4:15 PM
I recently purchased a plank of cocobolo two inches thick. I intend to resaw it on the bandsaw to use it for a project. Here is my question...
The wood is filled completely with tiny cracks. The seller told me this is normal and is "open grain". I am used to seeing open grain on oak. This looks very different. Should I just fill it with grain filler and proceed, or is this a defect in the wood. I have several turning blanks of cocobolo and none have these tiny cracks. Any help would be appreciated. I am new to using this wood. Thanks

Jason Roehl
05-22-2010, 5:44 PM
Pics would help.

Brian Effinger
05-22-2010, 7:38 PM
Without a photo, I couldn't be completely certain, although, all of the cocobolo I have seen (including the turning square in my shop) are nice and solid, and do not have an open grain.

Frank Drew
05-22-2010, 8:05 PM
Michael, I suspect your instincts are correct -- open grain doesn't look like checking or cracking -- and you're getting retailer spin.

This might just be surface checking, though, and would plane out, or you can turn the checked side inside or down, depending, once you've resawn the board.

Aaron Wingert
05-22-2010, 8:57 PM
I've worked with cocobolo extensively. I can say that I've never seen open grain on cocobolo, but I have seen a heck of a lot of stock that was cracked or checked due to improper drying and/or storage.

Van Huskey
05-22-2010, 9:08 PM
I've worked with cocobolo extensively. I can say that I've never seen open grain on cocobolo, but I have seen a heck of a lot of stock that was cracked or checked due to improper drying and/or storage.

I agree, coco is a notoriously difficult wood to dry properly with the resulting problems, but never seen coco like I see in my mind when I read the OP's post. Would like to see pic too.

Michael Ginsberg
05-27-2010, 6:06 PM
Thank you all for the input. I will try to get some closeup pictures of these "checks". Please keep in mind, these are TINY. Not noticable unless you look several inches from the wood. They are throughout the entire five foot long plank, not on one side or the other. Michael