PDA

View Full Version : Walnut/Corian Hollowform

Allen Neighbors
05-22-2010, 1:40 PM
Just finished oiling this hollowform of Walnut. First time I made a dome that I like, but I'm not sure I like the shape of the form, and I've only made a few finials, so fire away.:o
The lid is Corian with a Walnut finial. I tried to incorporate the shape of the form into the finial.
Didn't get a shot of the bottom of the Corian, but it has 3 rings in it, and the hole where the finial is glued will be filled with turquoise.
It has some dust specks on it (windy day), and the thing isn't buffed yet -- still have to put on a couple more coats of DO.
Thanks for looking.
Comments and critiques welcome. My skin is thick.:)

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2010, 1:57 PM
Allen - very different form - almost a sphere! The corian works well with this wood - they both seem to enhance each others colors. I like the idea of adding the turquoise to the bottom of the lid - adds a surprise to anyone opening the piece!

Nice work! Really like the wood!

Dan Cannon
05-22-2010, 4:08 PM
VERY cool form and I really like the combination with the corian, very unique all the way around. This is from someone who hasn't turned more than a couple spindles decades ago, but from a novice - I think it looks great!
How was corian for turning? How big is the form?

John Keeton
05-22-2010, 5:27 PM
Allen, really a neat combination! Are there three sections - form, top and finial with cap? It appears that way as the grain matches across. In any event, you did well.

Allen Neighbors
05-22-2010, 6:49 PM
Thanks for the comments, Gentlemen!!
Dan, turning Corian is like turning Acrylic Pens... Only it doesn't mar as quickly when you buff it.

John, The lid is the piece of Corian and Finial. The dome was turned in place. First time I've done a piece like that.

I neglected to add the fact that this was the second finial... just alike... the first one was made out of what I thought was walnut, but turned out to be some hard mahogony... Doh!!

A while ago, when I was buffing out the turquoise in the center of the lid, I got careless, and it was snatched out of my hand -- broke the finial. :mad: Now I have to make a third one.... Gettin' tired of this. :(

Paul Douglass
05-22-2010, 7:20 PM
I really like that. Looks like a very fancy spittoon, hope that doesn't sound bad to you because it is not meant to . I like corian or tru-stone or anything like that with wood. They really compliment each other. Nice work.

John Keeton
05-22-2010, 8:42 PM
A while ago, when I was buffing out the turquoise in the center of the lid, I got careless, and it was snatched out of my hand -- broke the finial. :mad: Now I have to make a third one.... Gettin' tired of this. :(Allen, look at the bright side - just another chance to practice on those finials!!;)

Wally Dickerman
05-22-2010, 9:43 PM
Thanks for the comments, Gentlemen!!
Dan, turning Corian is like turning Acrylic Pens... Only it doesn't mar as quickly when you buff it.

John, The lid is the piece of Corian and Finial. The dome was turned in place. First time I've done a piece like that.

I neglected to add the fact that this was the second finial... just alike... the first one was made out of what I thought was walnut, but turned out to be some hard mahogony... Doh!!

A while ago, when I was buffing out the turquoise in the center of the lid, I got careless, and it was snatched out of my hand -- broke the finial. :mad: Now I have to make a third one.... Gettin' tired of this. :(

Okay Allen...A nice little pot. I'll give you an A on that. The finial gets a C-. Since you are going to do another finial I thought that I would give you some of my thoughts on that. Most of us, when starting out making finials tend to make them too large and not slim enough. Finials are tough to get right. My early ones look bad to me when I look at pics of them now. I still remake one once in a while. This one has a nice middle. The rest of it needs to be slimmed down a lot. The middle feature should be in the bottom half of the finial for good balance A finial should look almost fragile.

I often make several finials and pick the one that I like the best. The spares can usually be used on another piece.

These are just my opinions. Others will probably disagree.

Wally

Baxter Smith
05-22-2010, 10:00 PM
The corian and walnut is very eyecatching! Like the shape of the HF. The finial looks a bit heavy.

Allen Neighbors
05-23-2010, 2:33 PM
Okay Allen...A nice little pot. I'll give you an A on that. The finial gets a C-. Since you are going to do another finial I thought that I would give you some of my thoughts on that. Most of us, when starting out making finials tend to make them too large and not slim enough. Finials are tough to get right. My early ones look bad to me when I look at pics of them now. I still remake one once in a while. This one has a nice middle. The rest of it needs to be slimmed down a lot. The middle feature should be in the bottom half of the finial for good balance A finial should look almost fragile.

I often make several finials and pick the one that I like the best. The spares can usually be used on another piece.

These are just my opinions. Others will probably disagree.

Wally

I can't think of anyone I'd rather get a critique from, Wally. Thank you for taking the time to check it out. If anyone has the experience to expound on, it's you, and we all appreciate your thoughts.
Now that I'm checking it closer, I agree with you about the upper portion being to thick. I made another one early this morning. It's in the DO right now, so I've got to go out to the shop and check it out. I made it different than this one, but it may still be too thick.
Bottom half for balance... didn't even think about it when I was putting in the features... I'll try to get a pic of the new one this afternoon sometime. Thanks again, Wally.

John, making finials is to tedious for these shaking hands... I have to tense my entire body, bracing against the toolrest and lathe bed... practically laying on the lathe, to make some finer cuts.

Thanks for all the comments, folks. They're appreciated. :)

James Combs
05-23-2010, 2:50 PM
Love the wood and color combination but to me it gives the impression of a sphere with a handle. Perhaps if the finial was sharper/slenderer.

Richard Madison
05-23-2010, 6:13 PM
Very pretty piece Allen, and/but agree with Wally's comments. Just for grins consider making a small rounded knob instead of a finial, just to see what it looks like. Can always save it for another piece. I have a small collection of knobs, finials, and at least one lid waiting for the right piece to show up.

Allen Neighbors
05-23-2010, 6:38 PM
Very pretty piece Allen, and/but agree with Wally's comments. Just for grins consider making a small rounded knob instead of a finial, just to see what it looks like. Can always save it for another piece. I have a small collection of knobs, finials, and at least one lid waiting for the right piece to show up.

I originally thought I might do that, Richard. And the thought that it would be lifting the lid, may be why it's so fat. At any rate, I've made another one (early this morning), and after reading Wally's comments, checked it out. Results: I don't like it, either. I have another ready to turn in the morning. Hopefully it'll be better than these others.

I spent the afternoon cleaning the shop, and lowering my OW 1640. I've been getting problems in my 70 yr old legs, and decided to lower it so I could turn sitting down when I get tired. I use a floor jack and 4x4 to raise it, so I could get rid of the 3" risers I had under each end. Took me all afternoon, and I'm bushed.