PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen "It Might Get Loud"

Greg Peterson
05-22-2010, 11:03 AM
I just watched it the other day.

All I can say is that I hadn't really picked up any of my guitars in the past couple of years due to blowing out my left elbow. The elbow is better now, still a little iffy at times, but I can live with this.

I'm not one to buy DVD's, but I am afraid this one will be earning a place on my shelf. What an outstanding reference. Every scene was a nugget of wisdom, inspiration or insight.

The look on Jimmy Page's face when he was playing Link Wray's 'Rumble' tells the whole story, IMO.

And when Jack White is trying to show them a song.....how many times have we seen that scene? He's just going along and the others are stumbling and noodling their way through. Wow.

If you haven't seen this movie, and are a guitarist/songwriter/rock-n-roll musician, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Michael MacDonald
05-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I like the title... I read the thread because I thought it might be a show about power tools... ha.

Pat Germain
05-23-2010, 12:33 AM
I bought it the day it was released on DVD. I gave it to my son for Christmas. He's a singer-songwriter and an amazingly-talented guitar player. We watched it together and really enjoyed it.

What I found most interesting is how they arrived. Edge had his technician drive over with an entire truck full of gear, then he pulled up in a Benzo. Page rode in the back of a Roller. I think White drove over by himself in a classic American car.

Greg Peterson
05-23-2010, 1:04 AM
Yeah, their mode of transportation reflected their status.

Bryan Morgan
05-23-2010, 1:24 AM
Great movie! Seen it a few times now. It reaffirmed my dislike of "the Edge" and I have a new respect for Jack White. Pretty much everything I do in life revolves around playing guitar, so I watch all these types of movies. Another interesting movie is "Fuzz". Its about everyones favorite stomp box.

Mike Cutler
05-23-2010, 8:37 AM
Excellent movie. I'm not too sure Jimmy Page approved of Jack's microphone mod though.
I like U2 and White Stripe, but I think both were a little out of their league with Page. Dude can still play.

Greg Peterson
05-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I was curious about the selection of Page, Edge and White. After seeing the film the selection makes sense. Three successive generations of unique, original guitarists/songwriters.

Page is royalty, pure and simple.

Edge is a sublime giant. Stop and consider the breathe of his work. He has endured, created many stellar and ubiquitous sounds, tones, riffs and songs. White is the young throwback trying to do what Page and Edge did and still do.

Since Page was listed as executive producer I assume he had a voice in the selection of the other two.

Ron Cole
05-23-2010, 5:28 PM
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/i_D3bOpp7fo/

Found it online, though, I'm sure the laptop speakers are not doing it justice. But, good enough to sample it.

Pat Germain
05-24-2010, 9:11 AM
I heard an interview with the filmmaker on NPR. As I recall, he chose those three guys on his own. Then he spent a lot of time trying to get through the many layers of people Page, Edge and White have around them. The filmmaker said once you break through those barriers, all three are very regular guys.

Greg Peterson
05-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I can imagine these guys are almost prisoners to their fame. I wouldn't mind the level of financial autonomy they enjoy and even perhaps the gigs on occasion. But I there is something to be said about moving through public settings without being noticed. That to me is priceless.

Carlos Alden
05-24-2010, 7:06 PM
I heard an interview with the filmmaker on NPR. As I recall, he chose those three guys on his own. Then he spent a lot of time trying to get through the many layers of people Page, Edge and White have around them. The filmmaker said once you break through those barriers, all three are very regular guys.

I recall a Guitar Player magazine interview with Keith Richards - this must have been 1977, 78. It was great, and showed a very different side of the guy. He was extremely well spoken, used complete sentences, and said things like "okay, keep applying yourself with regular practice and dedication, and you'll get where you want to be." I mean, nothing like what one would expect.

On the other hand, there was a great interview with The Who in Eye magazine back in 1967, 68, and Keith Moon was just exactly what you expected - a big overgrown wild child who lived to party. God, I miss him.

Carlos

Jerome Hanby
05-25-2010, 1:09 PM
I loved it. I don't think you could pick three guitarist more different from each other. I had never paid much attention to U2's guitarist, he's much better than I would have thought.

I love one of the first things Jack White says, we'll probably get in a fist fight...

Also loved it when they were figuring out how to perform The Load and Page backed out of doing any vocals super fast.

Greg Peterson
05-25-2010, 10:22 PM
I've never gotten into a fight with another guitar player. Now drummers, that's a whole other matter.:eek: