PDA

View Full Version : Hi, again and safety question

Ted Daigle
11-22-2004, 3:56 PM
Hi all! I've not logged on in some time and happy to see alot of new faces. Been very busy with work and family (new baby boy arrived last Friday :D ).

Anyway, to the safety question. I'm looking at purchasing some new router bits. Is it necessary, for safety's sake, to get 1/2 inch shanks or will 1/4 inch do? I use some hardwoods, but don't do molding or cabinets or anything like that. Just basic hobby stuff and simple furniture. I've always used 1/4 before but some folks are telling me 1/2 is the only safe bet. Any advice?

BTW, the router is a 2 1/4 HP if that makes any difference. I do equal amounts free hand and router table action.

Thanks in advance for any help!

John Gregory
11-22-2004, 4:01 PM
1/2" are the same price as 1/4", but much safer. Less vibration, etc. I do not buy 1/4" anymore if a 1/2" is available.

Ted Shrader
11-22-2004, 4:32 PM
Ted -

Congratulations on the new arrival! You have been busy with all the preps for that event.

I buy ½" bits whenever possible. They are a little beefier and there is some safety factor with a larger shank. The only time I get ¼" shank is when the profile is not available with a ½" shank. Even go so far as to get 8mm shanks on the bits in my dovetail set.

Regards,
Ted

Steve Cox
11-22-2004, 7:25 PM
To my knowledge there is no real "safety factor" in getting 1/2" over 1/4". Sure, the larger shanks are stronger but if the bits weren't safe they wouldn't be sold simply because of the liability factor. That said, 1/2" shanks will give you a better cut due to less flexing/vibration just because they are larger. I always buy 1/2" if it's available.

Jerry Olexa
11-22-2004, 8:08 PM
I buy only 1/2 bits for many reasons. Less wobbling and safety being 2 of them. IMO, best way to go for WW!

Jim Becker
11-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Congratulations on the new addition to the family!!

1/2" shank cutters have four times the metal than 1/4" bits. No question you should use them whenever possible...and with the exceptions of dovetail jigs and a few other things...that means virtually all the time. Strong is good. More metal equals stronger.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2004, 8:21 AM
Ted....congrats on the new family addition! My first router was a low powered Craftsman and it would only take 1/4" bits....so I have some. My new PC takes 1/2" or 1/4". I'm with the others......use 1/2" if the profile is available.

Rob Russell
11-23-2004, 8:22 AM
It might help to understand why a 1/2" shank bit is "safer" than a 1/4" shank bit.

As a number of folks have pointed out the thicker shank makes it "stronger". The term we should use is "stiffer". Just as using a deeper floor joist makes for a stiffer, less bouncy floor - using a thicker shank on a router bit (or a larger shaft on a shaper) makes for a stiffer bit. That stiffness translates into less flex when you push the bit sideways into the wood. Less flex is "safer", but can also produce a cleaner cut because the bit won't "micro-wobble" as much.

The only time I'd say that safety is really an issue is with larger router bits. You can get panel raising bits with a 1/4" shaft, but I sure wouldn't use one.

Another benefit to a 1/2" shank is that the larger shank gives more surface area for the collet to grab, which means the bit is held into the router more securely.