PDA

View Full Version : Sedona and Carob

ron hossack
05-22-2010, 9:09 AM
I'm becoming a fan of the Sedona's and this gold one has some nice carob wood to show off.

My only complaint is I would like to figure out how to make more of the 'red' in the carob wood pop and become more vivid. The raw wood has the red nice and bright but when I put a finish on it kind of fads into the rest of the wood.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_gRUdZn5d-e4/S_cbhK6EjzI/AAAAAAAAAZY/leJNPaIKKNo/s720/CarobPen%20001.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_gRUdZn5d-e4/S_cbmdCJGqI/AAAAAAAAAZc/2zELMWvxA8k/s720/CarobPen%20002.JPG

David E Keller
05-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Nicely done. That carob has got a lot more going for it than the few sticks I've turned, but I know what you mean about the colors being less vibrant after finishing.

Steve Schlumpf
05-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Ron - beautiful pen! You didn't mention what kind of a finish you are using. Maybe some of the pen turners out there will be able to offer some suggestions so that you can retain the color.

John Keeton
05-23-2010, 6:29 AM
Ron, the grain structure and character of the wood is great! Since I don't make pens, my thoughts may not be relevant, but what about adding a little color? You could tint it with a little dye - experiment with a piece and see. It doesn't take much!

James Combs
05-23-2010, 2:55 PM
Perhaps it is the finish. If you are using CA I have noticed that when I use it, CA tends to decrease contrast and mute colors a bit. Try a clear lacquer and see if there is more contrast. Or you just don't mention that the contrast has been muted. Those are great looking shots and if you had not mentioned reduced reds I don't think anyone would have noticed.

Paul Douglass
05-23-2010, 4:02 PM
Great looking pen, Ron. Where is the fish?

ron hossack
05-23-2010, 4:45 PM
Ron - beautiful pen! You didn't mention what kind of a finish you are using. Maybe some of the pen turners out there will be able to offer some suggestions so that you can retain the color.
Well I tried three different finishes. First I dipped it in Minwax Poly and that didn't work too well so I sanded it back down and dipped it in some Deft Gloss cut 2 - 1 and that didn't work too hot either. Lastly I went back to my CA finish and that's what you see.

ron hossack
05-23-2010, 4:47 PM
David ... thank you for the comments. I have a few more of these blanks to practice on.

Ron, the grain structure and character of the wood is great! Since I don't make pens, my thoughts may not be relevant, but what about adding a little color? You could tint it with a little dye - experiment with a piece and see. It doesn't take much!
John, I can and will give that a try and see what happens ... can always sand it back down if it doesn't look good.

ron hossack
05-23-2010, 4:50 PM
Great looking pen, Ron. Where is the fish?
Only you would ask <:D> This one?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_gRUdZn5d-e4/S_cVyFBNkTI/AAAAAAAAAXQ/1WHP_Ix0THA/s720/Trips%20004.JPG

ron hossack
05-23-2010, 4:53 PM
Nicely done. That carob has got a lot more going for it than the few sticks I've turned,
Actually I cheated. These blanks came from a piece that was maybe 3" x 3" by 12" that was cut into 7/8" blanks and I took two blanks that had a lot figure in them and were from the same cutoff and used one for each tube.

but I know what you mean about the colors being less vibrant after finishing.
Yeah ... bums me out a tad bit.