PDA

View Full Version : Welcome our New Moderator - John Keeton!!!

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2010, 8:50 AM
Our one and only, John Keeton, has been accepted as SMC's newest moderator! Please go easy on him while he learns all the ins and outs of being a mod!

Welcome John! Glad you joined the team! :D:D:D

Karl Card
05-22-2010, 8:56 AM
I like John, he seems like an honest and upfront kind of guy... If this is what he wants then I am happy for him..

Cody Colston
05-22-2010, 9:01 AM
Congratulations, John................I think. :rolleyes:

Sean Ackerman NY
05-22-2010, 9:01 AM
I'd hope it's what he wants Karl. It'd be pretty interesting if the internet and Steve Schlumpf have powers so strong, so powerful, that Steve could actually make you a mod against your own will;)

John is a great guy, worked with him a few times and gone back and forth via email. Always a pleasure, always has great input and something to say.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2010, 9:02 AM
I suspect John does well in all things in life! Welcome aboard John!

Matt Ranum
05-22-2010, 9:09 AM
Cool beans! Congrats John!

Brian Effinger
05-22-2010, 9:23 AM
Congrats John! :)

I guess it only makes sense. I mean, if he's not turning, then he's in here. :D
Does John even know what the other forums of Sawmill Creek look like any more? For that matter, does he even know what the inside of a court room looks like any more? ;) :p :D :p

Karl Card
05-22-2010, 9:26 AM
I'd hope it's what he wants Karl. It'd be pretty interesting if the internet and Steve Schlumpf have powers so strong, so powerful, that Steve could actually make you a mod against your own will;)

John is a great guy, worked with him a few times and gone back and forth via email. Always a pleasure, always has great input and something to say.

Well you know the turning vortex has powers that strong and well Steve, hmmmm wont go there...lol

Tony De Masi
05-22-2010, 9:41 AM
Congrats John. Just remember where you came from.:D

Tony

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-22-2010, 10:06 AM
John always has a kind and encouraging word for everyone. Who better.
fmr

Leo Graywacz
05-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I only expect trouble to come from this... :rolleyes:

Good to have you as a MOD. It can be challenging at times. But it is always a treat to be behind the scene. Good luck and enjoy the new controls.

Roland Martin
05-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Congratulations to John! What more can you ask for in a moderator.

gary Zimmel
05-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Congrats John. Very fitting Steve and company....

Ted Evans
05-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Bravo, bravo to Steve for accepting and John for offering, a great pair.

Curt Fuller
05-22-2010, 10:47 AM
John Keeton??? John Keeton?? Who the heck is John Keeton?

Oh ya, he's that one guy who asked a question a while back about buying a Harbor Freight lathe to do some table legs, if remember right. Said something about having no interest in bowls or hollowforms. Just needed something to enhance his flatwork (sorry for cursing) projects. Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, can we trust this man, this kind and genteel southern lawyer that has tricked us into believing that we can turn a table leg into a work of art. Tricked us into thinking that a person can jump from "how do I turn this thing on?" to "I've been juried into an art gallery" in what, something like 6 months! This guy is exactly the why turning is such a "vortex". If we let a guy like this go so far as becoming a "moderator", what's next. This is a slippery slope! We're creating a situation that can only result in drawing more and more defenseless people into the vortex. ;)

But on the other hand, John, maybe if you have to spend more time "moderating" and less time turning, maybe the rest of us can catch up a little.

Congratulations John! You'll do a fine job I'm sure.

Paul Douglass
05-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Holy Cow! A lawyer for a moderator! No more lawyer jokes....

Congrats John.

bob svoboda
05-22-2010, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=Paul Douglass;1428525]Holy Cow! A lawyer for a moderator! No more lawyer jokes....

I think NOT!!!:eek:

Congratulations John!!

Mark Hubl
05-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Just what the world needs, another la......, err, moderator.:rolleyes:

Was this voluntary or were straws drawn?

First the law, then moderator, politics can't be far off.

Congratulations John.

John Keeton
05-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks, guys for the supportive comments, and I just hope that you will be patient with me as I learn the ropes around here. If I mess up, don't hestitate to PM me and let me know. On the other hand, if I can help in any way, make sure that I know that!

Unfortunately, my first attempt at "moderating" did not go well!! When I discovered my change in status this morning, I assertively brought to the attention of Ms. Keeton my enhanced status and the impact of that on how life in the Keeton house would be going forward.:cool: .......I now have a much clearer understanding of the limitations of my status!!!:eek::o

Does John even know what the other forums of Sawmill Creek look like any more? For that matter, does he even know what the inside of a court room looks like any more? ;) :p :D Brian, I do occasionally stop in on the other forums of SMC, but only to make sure there is still a world outside the VORTEX!!!!:D:D And, for the courtroom......until someone shows me that I can make my hourly rate doing woodturning:rolleyes:, I suspect one could still find me there on a frequent basis!

Congrats John. Just remember where you came from.:D

TonyNot to fear Tony! Not to fear! If ever it seems I have, I expect to be reminded!

I only expect trouble to come from this... :rolleyes:.Me, too, Leo!!:eek:

John Keeton??? John Keeton?? Who the heck is John Keeton?

Oh ya, he's that one guy who asked a question a while back about buying a Harbor Freight lathe to do some table legs, if remember right. Said something about having no interest in bowls or hollowforms. Just needed something to enhance his flatwork (sorry for cursing) projects.Curt, I laugh everytime I walk by that table - it sits in the travel path to my shop......and, my lathe!!:D:D Had only I known.......

Holy Cow! A lawyer for a moderator! No more lawyer jokes....

Congrats John.Paul, not to worry on the lawyer jokes - I kind of enjoy them. Heck, I was the inspiration for most of them!!;)

And, Mark Hubl, I have already been in the political game - never again!!!!!

Allen Neighbors
05-22-2010, 1:46 PM
Great! Way to go, John!! :D

Alan Zenreich
05-22-2010, 2:00 PM
John,

I offer both congratulations and condolences.

As an administrator and moderator of several enthusiast forums, I know that the job is thankless... at best.

So, I'll just say "thanks" in advance for stepping up.

charlie knighton
05-22-2010, 2:11 PM
congratulations, thanks for helping out, take all those big bucks to the bank :D

Fred Perreault
05-22-2010, 2:30 PM
Next he'll be runnin' for the Senate. whataya think Mrs. keeton would say to that?

Pete Jordan
05-22-2010, 2:56 PM
John,

You are an excellent choice and I am sure you will do a great job!

Bill Wyko
05-22-2010, 3:06 PM
There goes the neighborhood!!!:eek::D You couldn't ask for a better guy. Thanks John for taking the job. We're in good hands.:)

CW McClellan
05-22-2010, 3:08 PM
Being that you are going to moderate ect. Does that mean we can now get Leagal advice fer free ? Can we start a
"Ask John " site HA HA :D Also like ya turnings

Michael Short
05-22-2010, 3:31 PM
Congrats John and Thank you for sharing all of your work with us. You make some amazing stuff !!!!

David Warkentin
05-22-2010, 3:32 PM
Sounds good John. Does this mean that you are stuck here now? David

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2010, 3:34 PM
He's been stuck here every since he turned his first bowl. It's just taken him this long to realize and acknowledge it.

Joe Wiliams
05-22-2010, 3:49 PM
John,

I offer both congratulations and condolences.

As an administrator and moderator of several enthusiast forums, I know that the job is thankless... at best.

So, I'll just say "thanks" in advance for stepping up.
This man speaks the truth. I've been a moderator at another site for a number of years, I'll just say I don't think I'll do it again. It's a very different demographic than this site though.

Being that you are going to moderate ect. Does that mean we can now get Leagal advice fer free ? Can we start a
"Ask John " site HA HA :D Also like ya turnings
Just imagine all the paper work needed to get any answers.:p

Best wishes to you John, i'm sure you'll do just fine:cool:

Harvey Ghesser
05-22-2010, 4:32 PM
There's a new sheriff in town!

(congrats John!:D)

Mike McAfee
05-22-2010, 5:21 PM
Even being in the Creek just a short time, I always read what John has to say! Good choice I'm betting!

Congrats John,

MMc

Jeff Nicol
05-22-2010, 5:51 PM
John, I guess there is safety in numbers! The more watchers out there the better, I guess. Like everyone else has said do we have to post with the proper legaleze to get our stuff on now?

Oh and I would definitly vote for you to be senator, congressman or even the big job on the hill! Maybe I could be the cheif of foreign wood affairs and collect timber from all over the world!!!

Congrats my friend, (Go easy on me, I have a tender heart!)

Jeff

Joe Little
05-22-2010, 7:06 PM
Congrats John. You have been extemely helpful to everyone here and I have learned a lot from you comments. Guess it is time to give up the law practice!

Larry Marley
05-22-2010, 8:10 PM
operation VORTEX is complete!

Joe Mioux
05-22-2010, 8:57 PM
Congratulations on the promotion, John. Just don't ask for a pay raise :rolleyes:

Baxter Smith
05-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Congratulations! You definitely have been hooked!

David DeCristoforo
05-22-2010, 11:05 PM
"Holy Cow! A lawyer for a moderator! No more lawyer jokes...."

How many lawyers does it take to moderate an online wood turning forum?

How many forum moderators does it take to file a lawsuit?

David Drickhamer
05-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Congrats John

Dave

David E Keller
05-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Congrats and thanks.

It seems that everyone thus far has missed one very important question... Who's getting billed for the hours Keeton spends moderating?:D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-23-2010, 12:44 AM
We have convinced John he can write his time off as volunteer work assisting criminally insane turners..........:confused::rolleyes:

John Keeton
05-23-2010, 6:21 AM
Congratulations on the promotion, John. Just don't ask for a pay raise :rolleyes:
Joe, not much in the way of pay, but I do understand there is a 150% match on the 401K, a company hunting lodge in the Rockies, a beach condo, and free health care....I just need to find the information on those.....still looking.....I know it is here somewhere.......:confused:

Congrats and thanks.

It seems that everyone thus far has missed one very important question... Who's getting billed for the hours Keeton spends moderating?:D
David, here is my philosophy on that. I make my living thinking. If I am awake, I am thinking. Thus, if I am awake, I am working...... now, let's see - who gets billed for that little gem.....!!?!?!?:rolleyes:

We have convinced John he can write his time off as volunteer work assisting criminally insane turners..........:confused::rolleyes:Ken, actually it would be more of a charitable cause helping some of the more raucous moderators....or, at least one, in particular!!:D

Charles Robertson
05-23-2010, 7:47 AM
Well said, Kurt. I've owned a lathe 40 plus years, then like David D, about 8 weeks ago I got too close to the edge and fell in. One of the reasons for this was the posting of pictures by a "former" white collar worker named John Keaton. I've been making a living with my hands since I was a kid, too long a time. Turners Forum is teaching me how that big green thing (older var. speed Powermatic) is meant to be used. John has shown us all what true passion is and how dangerous it can be. Now that I've slipped, it feels so good it must be illegal. Gotta be. As said before, congratulations counselor/lathe master/moderator, I think.

Mike Svoma
05-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Wow, John. Going from "just turning table legs" to Moderator in less than a year, that's like going from law student directly to the Supreme Court. Congrats, John!

George Guadiane
05-23-2010, 1:04 PM
I hope moderating is as much fun as reading and posting on this site.
G

James Combs
05-23-2010, 2:11 PM
Congrats John, great to have a fellow Kentuckian on the SMC Team.

Now lets see...what did I do with that Eastern Kentucky Lawyer joke...??

Mark Burge
05-23-2010, 7:47 PM
Congrats John. Isn't it ironic that you have not been moderate in the number of posts you make and they make you a moderator? Appreciate your helping out.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-23-2010, 8:08 PM
John's already been asking thoughtful and intelligent questions in the Moderator Forum.

He's alread got me and Clabo agreeing? We are both looking at each other going "HUH?"

kenneth walker
05-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Congratulations John.
My the vortex stay strong for you.
Ken

John Shuk
05-24-2010, 8:58 AM
Thanks for stepping up John. Good mods make the Creek what it is.

Rob Cunningham
05-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Congratulations John

brian watts
05-24-2010, 9:13 PM
Congrats John..