PDA

View Full Version : Kershaw - Black Tungsten - will it laser?

Pete Simmons
05-22-2010, 8:40 AM
From their web site - "The blade of this Kershaw knife has a non reflective black Tungsten coating"

The black blade looks like their name has been laser engraved.

Kinda looks like anodized aluminum does when you engrave it.

Anybody ever hit one of these blades with the laser.

Looking for info before I mark up a $70 knife for a friend.

Pete Simmons
05-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Got this today from Kershaw.

----------

Pete – We mark all of our knives with a laser for the LOGO, Model number. On black it should burn a white or silvery color. Laser engraving on the coating should not be an issue.

Customer Service
Kershaw

Dan Hintz
05-24-2010, 1:44 PM
I wonder if they're talking about YAG or CO2... CO2 might turn the black coating white, YAG would turn a bare knife black(ish). I have to assume the former from their phrasing, but it's not guaranteed.

Pete Simmons
05-24-2010, 4:59 PM
I wonder if they're talking about YAG or CO2... CO2 might turn the black coating white, YAG would turn a bare knife black(ish). I have to assume the former from their phrasing, but it's not guaranteed.

I wonder the same things. I told the customer who is supplying the knife that it is not a done deal yet.

No real unseen areas to do a test either.

They are somewhat OK with ending up with a blemished knife for themself if it does not work as planned.

I was just glad that Kershaw answered at all.

Dan Hintz
05-24-2010, 9:04 PM
Do something that looks stock, like a hairline mark surrounding the knife right next to the hilt... even if it fails, it won't detract completely from the look.

Tim Eddings
05-25-2010, 9:38 AM
Here is a test run at 400dpi 90spd 100 pwr on a Kershaw. Ran the real one at 600dpi and it came out a lot better, but did not take a picture of it. They do look good.
Hope this helps

Tim

Bill Cunningham
05-25-2010, 10:15 PM
I do these for the Ontario Provincial Police ERT Using 600 dpi, 100 power, and 25 speed. The Logo is quite small, and impossible to laser from a vector file. Once the vector logo is small enough, the lines are too thin to raster, so a high res line art bit map did the trick.. I can't remember the name of the knife, but it has a point for window breaking, along with a seat belt cutter and the blade..

Dan Hintz
05-26-2010, 6:05 AM
Bill, I'm assuming you're running a 45W machine? It's not in your sig...

Frank Corker
05-26-2010, 6:53 AM
Wow, they really do look nice engraved, like a brownish colour, very interesting.

Bill Cunningham
05-27-2010, 8:33 PM
Bill, I'm assuming you're running a 45W machine? It's not in your sig...

Just added it Dan..