PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Jointer Checkout

Bud hill
05-21-2010, 6:26 PM
I am going to look at a G9860ZX jointer tomorrow. I would appreciate help in knowing what to look for. The jointer is about 5 years old. It is on consignment in phoenix. I am taking some figured maple to test it on. Also I have borrowed a 4' straight edge to take along. This jointer has spiral cutter heads. They are supposed to be on the first or second edge. They will take $3000 for it. I tried to get it a little lower but he will not budge. If it looks new what do you think about the price?

Thanks

Josiah Bartlett
05-21-2010, 6:36 PM
Given that it's on sale for $3995 right now, I wouldn't call that a great price, but if its in good shape and you feel comfortable paying for it, maybe. If you buy it new from Grizzly you at least get the service and guarantee that it is within tolerance when delivered.

Bud hill
05-21-2010, 8:01 PM
Your right it was a better deal before the sale. They say it is like new condition and I sure would like to save $1000. The question is how to tell if it is in like new condition?

Neal Clayton
05-22-2010, 1:29 AM
a jointer isn't exactly a complicated machine.

as long as the beds are straight and flat and there's no odd noises from the motor/bearings, it's probably fine.

Chip Lindley
05-22-2010, 5:23 AM
By *like-new* seller probably means the paint, tables and fence are still shiny. It's hard to wear out motor or cutterhead bearings in a home shop. I think $3K is a bit high, but it's a fact few used 12" jointers are available. You're still saving $1K+.

glenn bradley
05-22-2010, 7:19 AM
Agree that 75% of new is a bit high for a 5 year old machine but, age is not use. I have run my 3HP, 8" spiral several times a week for a year and a half and am still on the same face of the cutters. If she runs smooth and the tables and fence are flat you should be good. $1000 will buy a good stack of curly maple.

Joe Chritz
05-22-2010, 9:59 AM
I'll add that the motor is really the only important thing anyway.

Even if the bearings are bad, it is likely a $20 repair. When I put the Byrd head in my jointer (although a bit narrower) I didn't want to mess with taking off the bearings so I replaced them for about $15 bucks.

Flat, coplaner tables and a good motor.

Joe