PDA

View Full Version : BS gloat

Bill LaPointe
05-21-2010, 4:06 PM
Bought an Enco 2HP 20" PBS-500 that belonged to a small machine shop locally. Bad news.....3 phase. Good news.... got him to throw in the 2HP single phase motor that he had. Saw has Carter 400 guides that he bought new, a spare set of wheels that the factory said he needed to run knife blades (as it turned out the wheels were identical to the original factory wheels) and 4 knife blades. He bought the saw used, but said that it looked like new. Used it for one big job that he had, to cut a velvet type cloth, and then lost the contract. Used it for about 10 hours and never used it again. Still has a knife blade in it. Total price $400.

Tony De Masi
05-21-2010, 4:16 PM
Bill, looks like you took everyones advice from your previous thread. Nice Gloat.

Tony

Stephen Cherry
05-21-2010, 4:31 PM
I would look at keeping the 3 phase motor, and adding a vfd for variable speed, and controlled acceleration. Shouldn't be too expensive, maybe you could sell the single phase motor to offset the cost. Just a thought.

Nice saw.

Bill LaPointe
05-21-2010, 4:51 PM
Thanks Tony. When I read the first reply I was out the door.

Stephen, being used to under powered BS, why would variable speed be helpful with a BS? What would be the cost to do something like this?

Curt Harms
05-21-2010, 4:55 PM
Congratulations. A good bandsaw is a worthwhile addition. Now for some good blades.......

Stephen Cherry
05-21-2010, 5:03 PM
Variable frequency drives, of vfd, or ac drive is very normal for a three phase motor in the industrial world.

The big difference between the bandsaw and other tools in the woodworking shop, as far as the motor is concerned, is the the wheels of the bandsaw need to have considerable weight. The problem comes in when you turn it on- it can be a lot of mass to get up to speed. A VFD allows you to program the acceleration so that the wheels speed up gradually, as opposed to speeding up as fast as the motor and belt allow. It's just easier on everything, mechanically, and electrically, if the saw takes a little time to get up to speed.

Also, most drives allow for variable speed, some even for over speed by producing an output at a frequency higher than 60 HZ.

These drives start at less than 200 dollars, for 220 single phase in to 3 phase out.

I don't think any of this makes a huge difference, but you already have a better motor so it might make sense to look at keeping it.

Brendan Plavis
05-21-2010, 5:40 PM
Nice! Dang... I think thats just a little more than I paid for my 14"...... Lucky devil....:mad:

Must have been some thick velvet to need a beast like that....... I'd have thought an X-Acto and a straight edge would have work just fine.... :confused:

Bruce Page
05-21-2010, 5:55 PM
Sweet deal

glenn bradley
05-21-2010, 6:20 PM
Suh-wheet!

Van Huskey
05-21-2010, 8:37 PM
YOU SUCK!

Brendan they were probably cutting the entire roll to width at once.

Rick Markham
05-21-2010, 9:00 PM
YOU SUCK!

+1 Nice Saw, killer price too!!! Keeps me hopeful one day I might run across a similar deal... Come on Giant lathe... :D

Van Huskey
05-21-2010, 9:12 PM
Come on Giant lathe... :D

You are spending too much time lurking in the Turner's forum, Mark! :D

Joe Mioux
05-21-2010, 9:15 PM
wow! great deal and a beautiful saw!..

have fun cleaning it up and tuning it.

then have more fun using it!

joe

Jeff Willard
05-21-2010, 10:16 PM