PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Random Orbit Sander

Harlan Theaker
05-21-2010, 4:03 PM
Time to buy a new random orbit sander, haven't had to buy one in a number of years, so not sure what to buy.

It will mostly be used for sanding end grain, so ideally I'd like something a little more powerful than average. I have numerous boxes of 5" 8 hole discs, so would prefer a sander I can use these with.

What do you guys recommend?

Will Overton
05-21-2010, 5:13 PM
As long as you don't have small hands, as the top is a bit wide, the PC 390 is great. It has become my goto sander after using and liking various Bosch models for 20 years. Aside from having great dust collection when hooked up to a vac (I turn my ct22 to less than 1/2 power), the pad stops spinning almost immediately when you shut it off. The pad stops before the motor stops spinning. It uses 5" 8 hole paper.

Don Alexander
05-21-2010, 5:53 PM
Milwaukee's 5" 8 hole VS ROS is top notch the included dust collection bag actually collects the dust quite well and the sander nicely balanced
HD sells it with a nice case for $69 bucks i replaced my well worn Porter Cable 5" arm /hand tingler ..... err ROS with it and wish i'd done it sooner .......... sands faster, collects dust a ton better and no more numb/tingling for hours hand/arm afterward

the Porter Cable i had did ok with dust when connected to my shop vac
pitiful with the included dust cannister though

now i do not need to connect to the vac to sand and its nice

Joe Chritz
05-21-2010, 6:05 PM
I hate to toss out the kool aid so to speak but I have both a PC333 (which I have beaten unmercifully for years) and a festool ES125.

I can't tell the difference on a finished piece but the dust collection on the Festool is top notch and the lack of vibration makes long sessions much more enjoyable. Can sanding 50 cabinet doors ever be enjoyable?

If you want aggressive and have a larger area the 6" Ridgid has dual orbit settings and is very aggressive on one and easy on the other. Also a nice sander, mine gets a workout when I do cabinet sides since I may sand 9 or 10 sheets of plywood worth of panels at one time.

Joe

Will Overton
05-21-2010, 6:05 PM
Milwaukee's 5" 8 hole VS ROS is top notch the included dust collection bag actually collects the dust quite well and the sander nicely balanced
HD sells it with a nice case for $69 bucks i replaced my well worn Porter Cable 5" arm /hand tingler ..... err ROS with it and wish i'd done it sooner .......... sands faster, collects dust a ton better and no more numb/tingling for hours hand/arm afterward

the Porter Cable i had did ok with dust when connected to my shop vac
pitiful with the included dust cannister though

now i do not need to connect to the vac to sand and its nice

Don,

That wasn't a 390, was it? I know the older PC's weren't that good, which is why I stayed with Bosch for so many years. The 390 isn't anything like the old ones.

glenn bradley
05-21-2010, 6:16 PM
Bosch 1295DVS. I have used the Bosch, hard for years and picked up the Klingspor version the last time it went on sale for $50. It is identical except for color.

David Prince
05-21-2010, 7:27 PM
I have:

Festool
Black and Decker
Dewalt
Porter Cable

I actually like the Black and Decker for quick and dirty sanding and the Festool for finish sanding. The Dewalt started out fine, but now feels like an old car without shocks and gives your hand every bump in the road. The Porter Cable is comparable to the Black and Decker. A tool review I just ran across had the PC rated better than the Festool. I like the variable speed on the Festool and the dust collection is good.

Van Huskey
05-21-2010, 8:27 PM
Bosch 1295DVS. I have used the Bosch, hard for years and picked up the Klingspor version the last time it went on sale for $50. It is identical except for color.

100% on both. The Klingspor is identical except for color AND it is made in a different country, if memory serves the Bosch is Malaysia and the Klingspor is Mexico. I have 3 Klingspor since they are good/cheap and I don't have to change grit often.

glenn bradley
05-21-2010, 8:52 PM
100% on both. The Klingspor is identical except for color AND it is made in a different country, if memory serves the Bosch is Malaysia and the Klingspor is Mexico. I have 3 Klingspor since they are good/cheap and I don't have to change grit often.

Van, you rock. Points for trivia :). I had to go look. Bosch Assembled in Malaysia and Klingspor Assembled in Mexico it is. :D

More trivia; FWW mag rated the 1295 with the best abrasion pattern out of the herd of familiar names. I have taken exception with FWW's reviews now and then but, the plexiglass test doesn't lie:

Harlan Theaker
05-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Van, you rock. Points for trivia :). I had to go look. Bosch Assembled in Malaysia and Klingspor Assembled in Mexico it is. :D

More trivia; FWW mag rated the 1295 with the best abrasion pattern out of the herd of familiar names. I have taken exception with FWW's reviews now and then but, the plexiglass test doesn't lie:

Thanks for all the replies. I think I might try this Bosch sander. Just did a quick google and came up empty... anybody know where this may be available in Canada? Or in the US, but will ship to Canada?

Harlan Theaker
05-21-2010, 10:52 PM
What about this one? Bosch 3725 DVS? A little more expensive, but a little more power as well.

http://www.kmstools.com/bosch-5-random-orbit-sander-1345

Van Huskey
05-21-2010, 11:37 PM
What about this one? Bosch 3725 DVS? A little more expensive, but a little more power as well.

http://www.kmstools.com/bosch-5-random-orbit-sander-1345

Also an excellent sander about $140 shipped in the states. If the Bosch aren't less expensive up north maybe the Festool ETS125 might be in order but I have heard Canadians complain of their pricing as well.

I think the former Bosch has been replaced by the ROS20 also made in Malasia (since I seem to be doing that today). The 3725 is one of thier Swiss tools.

Eiji Fuller
05-22-2010, 2:52 AM
ETS150! The best RO in the world. Well in the US that is until the Mirka Ceros is released.

Will Overton
05-22-2010, 6:59 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I might try this Bosch sander. Just did a quick google and came up empty... anybody know where this may be available in Canada? Or in the US, but will ship to Canada?

I believe the 1295 has been discontinued. The Klingspor version had been on clearance for $50, but I believe they sold out. You may still find them on the shelves of a local Borg, or maybe a refurb at CPO.

Harlan Theaker
05-22-2010, 1:02 PM
Also an excellent sander about $140 shipped in the states. If the Bosch aren't less expensive up north maybe the Festool ETS125 might be in order but I have heard Canadians complain of their pricing as well.

It's crazy the price difference... anybody across the border want to order and then ship a sander to me?

$140US vs $260 Cdn...

Harlan Theaker
05-22-2010, 1:03 PM
ETS150! The best RO in the world. Well in the US that is until the Mirka Ceros is released.

I'd love to buy this, incredible power, exactly what I'm looking for, but it's tough to justify $600+ for a ROS.

Harlan Theaker
05-22-2010, 1:31 PM

I'd love to buy a 150, but it's tough to justify the $600+ price tag. The sander definitely has the power I`m looking for.

Van Huskey
05-22-2010, 1:58 PM
I believe the 1295 has been discontinued. The Klingspor version had been on clearance for $50, but I believe they sold out. You may still find them on the shelves of a local Borg, or maybe a refurb at CPO.

Thats is interesting about the Klingspor ROS, they have several of them the last time I was in a store (maybe 2 months ago) but although they still show on the Klingspor site they are no longer on the retail site.

Harlan, does Amazon ship to Canada?

Kent A Bathurst
05-22-2010, 3:47 PM
........I have... a PC333 (which I have beaten unmercifully for years)........

Ditto. Exactly ditto - 10 (?) yrs. I think that is maybe the only tool for which I have never researched comparison tool reviews.......not that I'd mind a new one, just that I've never had a reason. I'm happy, but with no other experinece, what the heck do I know?

Van Huskey
05-22-2010, 4:02 PM
Ditto. Exactly ditto - 10 (?) yrs. I think that is maybe the only tool for which I have never researched comparison tool reviews.......not that I'd mind a new one, just that I've never had a reason. I'm happy, but with no other experinece, what the heck do I know?

That is a pretty solid sander, I have one that has been used a lot as well. I must say though there are a lot of other sanders, especially now, that leave a better finish, less vibration and have better dust capture.

Harlan Theaker
05-22-2010, 5:20 PM
Harlan, does Amazon ship to Canada?

Unfortunately no. I wish they did. It`s a struggle sometimes to find the brands/models I'm looking for as not many US retailers will ship to Canada and not many Canadian retailers carry them...

Van Huskey
05-22-2010, 9:03 PM
Harlen, PM me if you are really interested in something you can't get or the price is stupid and I can track down the cost to reship to you when I know what you want and figure the weight, if it is resonable for you after reshipping I will be happy to help you. I ship stuff internationally every week so it isn't a big deal.

Brian Penning
05-22-2010, 9:24 PM
Had the PC until I tried a Ridgid. Much quieter and smoother.
Would buy another one.

Rick Fisher
05-23-2010, 5:26 AM
Harlan.. can I ask where about you are ? I noticed you linked to KMS.. I am on Vancouver Island ..

You can get pretty much any of those models in Canada..

John Thompson
05-23-2010, 9:55 AM
I'll be the second to suggest the Milwaukee. The Bosch mentioned leaves my hands numb after short use and it had the feel to me of trying to walk away while in use. I tried the Milwaukee and find it the best I have used and that includes Craftsman.. Makita.. the older PC's as I have no clue on the new. Excellent dust control.. smooth as silk.. quiet and quick stop. I liked it so well I purchased another and gave the Bosch away to a local entry level. Just my opinion based on personal use of course.

Harlan Theaker
05-23-2010, 7:05 PM
Harlan.. can I ask where about you are ? I noticed you linked to KMS.. I am on Vancouver Island ..

You can get pretty much any of those models in Canada..

I know KMS does sell a few of the models, but have you noticed the price difference?

For the Bosch 3725 $260 in Canada vs $140 in the US... that's almost half the price and even after factoring in duty/exchange/shipping under $200 CDN.

Harlan Theaker
05-23-2010, 7:08 PM
Harlen, PM me if you are really interested in something you can't get or the price is stupid and I can track down the cost to reship to you when I know what you want and figure the weight, if it is resonable for you after reshipping I will be happy to help you. I ship stuff internationally every week so it isn't a big deal.

I definitely appreciate the offer and there's probably a good chance I'll take you up on it once I figure out exactly what I want.

I'm still leaning towards the 3725, but also considering buying something like a Bosch 1250 http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1250DEVS-6-Inch-Random-Sander/dp/B0001408SO (if I can find something in a 5") along with a second smaller ROS.

Still undecided what to do though...

Don Whitten
05-23-2010, 9:00 PM
Porter Cable

David Prince
05-23-2010, 9:47 PM
I just built some baltic birch drawers and used my Festool 125 to sand up the edges of the ply. I turned down the dial and I was very impressed with the results. I have only had this sander a couple of months, but this application convinced me that this sander belongs in my shop. I have other sanders, but I think they would be too aggressive or difficult to control in this application.

Van Huskey
05-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I definitely appreciate the offer and there's probably a good chance I'll take you up on it once I figure out exactly what I want.

I'm still leaning towards the 3725, but also considering buying something like a Bosch 1250 http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1250DEVS-6-Inch-Random-Sander/dp/B0001408SO (if I can find something in a 5") along with a second smaller ROS.

Still undecided what to do though...

No prob, just let me know.

Be aware the "angle grinder" type sanders are much harder to control and despite the opinion of some that extends to the Festool Rotex as well, in fact the best dual action 6" is the Makita 6040. This certainly is all based on MNSHO.

Dave MacArthur
05-24-2010, 2:02 AM
The FWW Tool Review rated the Bosch/Klingspor #1. Can't remember which year, but I just re-read 2007, 2008, 2009 this week so it's one of those. The next year they rated the Festool best, but Bosch/Klingspor did well. They did state that the two are the same sander as far as they could tell and awarded it that way.

I haven't actually tried a Bosch. I have the Festool Rotex, which I like for agressive stuff, and the DeWalt. I actually like the DeWalt, have never thought poorly of it while using it... but I suppose I don't have a good benchmark to compare it to the Milwaukee or Bosch.

I have to say, I got a chuckle AND thought "Respect!" when I ready Sarge's line, "Just my opinion based on personal use of course." That there is the real key, maybe not too many folks have used a Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, and Festool long enough to have a real experience-based opinion. If it was me buying it, so far I'd have to go with Sarge's opinion--I was sold on the Bosch until I read his post.

Harlan Theaker
05-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm still sort of torn at this point. Lots of options available... hard to know what will work for what I am using to for best...

I have no problem spending money on a tool that will save me time.

Again, I do a lot of end grain cutting boards and want something I can aggressively sand with... I actually own a 5" ridgid and 5" bosch ros10, but I don't find either of them to remove stock quick enough.

I really haven't narrowed my choices down much, ranging from Ridgid 2611 (I like the fact that it has dual orbit), bosch 3725/3727 and actually somewhat considering a festool ro 125/150 if I can convince myself it would save me enough time to warrant the price tag.

So hard to make a decision as to what will work best without being able to try out different tools... especially with the price difference... (Ridgid $140, Bosch $260, Festool $495/$625 CDN)

Frank Martin
05-25-2010, 12:16 AM
For end grain cutting boards, I would suggest you consider a belt sander with a sanding frame and coarse belt. This goes really fast, but you will need ROS sanding afterwards. My second alternative would be Rotex, or similar dual mode sander. Bosch 1250DEVS is a really good sander if you want to save about 50% and get nearly the same performance. When I made cutting boards, I first tried using Rotex, it did not go fast enough, so I switched to 4" belt sander with a sanding frame followed up with Rotex which made it go fairly quick.

Harlan Theaker
05-25-2010, 12:53 AM
I actually have a Delta 18/36 drum sander that I use to flatten all my boards, but it consistently leaves marks throughout the boards. I can slowly work through grits up to 150, but it is very slow going (tends to burn or build up on end grain with more than a 1/128 pass) so I'm trying to find a better solution.

My thinking was that I would still use the drum sander at 60/80 to flatten, but then switch to a more aggressive ROS and work through grit that way. In my head it seems like a better solution to me, but don't know for sure without trying.

At present, after the drum sander I usually spend a fair amount of time with my bosch ROS10 trying to remove lines, it works, but something with more power should work better...

John Thompson
05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
On top of my suggestion of the Milwaukee I have a Ridgid 2611 6" ROS. I got it when it was made by Metabo in W. Germany. It is most definitely more aggressive than the Milwaukee.. most definitely and and saves me time on wide pieces as I do a lot of large carcass. I did not realize you were using this on large end grain surface as a cutting board. I will withdraw my reccomendation of the Milwaukee in this case as you need a very agressive sander to handle a lot of rough end grain. The Milwaukee is a great finish sander but not suited for the butcher block tops with end grain showing IMO.

In your case I like the recommendation of Frank Martin who takes the block to a belt sander first which is very aggressive... then tackles it with a less aggressive sander as the Milwaukee I originally suggested. But.. with that said I will throw another idea at you for consideration. Perhaps there is a way to avoid the rough end grain so the very agressive is not needed to start with.

Consider either the purchase of an Infinity Super General or Freud Fusion to cross-cut the stock for the blocks. Both have 40 T and both have a 30* degree angle as opposed to most 40 T with 18*-20*. And both have triple side grind which will leave end grain surface baby butt smooth as it almost burnishs the cut they make. I do a lot of A & C with table top end grain showing. I only put my Infinity Super General on when final cross-cutting the stock for tops where end grain shows. With that blade there is little to no final sanding frankly. At least there is no fighting end grain with a sander or a low angle block plane as I used to. It leaves a finish that requires only a few passes with my 5" Milwaukee and not always that. I do not like to use the more aggressive 6" Ridgid (Metabo in my case) on end grain as it is harder to keep it flat on the narrower end grain on top stock. Would probably be fine for attacking larger surface end grain laying flat on a bench as your cutting boards.

So.. just my thoughts if I were in your shoes. Franks idea would be my solution if I did not have the personal knowledge of just how smooth end grain is left using the Super General or Fusion.

Good luck as end grain is a PITA to deal with in the quantity you are attacking. But.. where there is a will there is a way! ;)