PDA

View Full Version : How do I build this?

Todd Hoppe
05-21-2010, 1:30 PM
How do I build this? I have no idea how to do timber framing. Am I better building this up out of 4/4" stock? It sure would be lighter, and probably easier to build.

David Prince
05-21-2010, 1:41 PM
4/4 is the equivalent of 1 inch (4 quarters).

But, I think you mean 4 x 4 which is 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch timbers. That might look a little bit light. Maybe a 4 x 6 at a minimum to give it some beef!

Putting it together is just a larger mortise and tenon joint. Drill holes through the joint and spike in a tapered dowel to secure it.

Lee Schierer
05-21-2010, 2:56 PM
If it is going to support a load you'll want solid timbers. If it is purely decorative, then you can use regular one by boards.

Darius Ferlas
05-21-2010, 3:26 PM
Some of these timbers look like 8 by 8, others more like 6 by 8.

Changing to 4/4 lumber would have huge effect on the proportions and the aesthetics of the structure. Unless you change the brickwork too.

Todd Hoppe
05-21-2010, 3:35 PM
Sorry. I meant to say, "Am I better off building decorative hollow posts that mimic timber frames?" The columns would surround the loan bearing center column. The rest would be decorative. Like these:

http://www.lostcanyonwoodworks.com/Timbertrusses.html

Picture a cross section to look like this:

----
|---|
|---|
----

Lee Schierer
05-21-2010, 3:59 PM
Sorry. I meant to say, "Am I better off building decorative hollow posts that mimic timber frames?" The columns would surround the loan bearing center column. The rest would be decorative. Like these:

http://www.lostcanyonwoodworks.com/Timbertrusses.html

Picture a cross section to look like this:

----
|---|
|---|
----

The ones in the link look structural to me.

But to build a non-structural unit build the sides with pocket screw joints and attach those to the walls with you back board. Sand all teh pieces before assembly and finish the surfaces that will be exposed, being careful not to get any finish in the joint areas. Once the entire structure is attached to the wall cover the open area on the front with the pieces made for those areas and pin them in place with 1-1/4 brads and glue. Apply one final coat of finish to hide the final glue joints.

Bruce Page
05-21-2010, 4:04 PM
I would worry that box construction would not be able to survive the elements over time.
Norm made a garden gate along these lines on NYW that was mortise & tenon construction, you could probably search it out. As I recall the arch & detail work were made up of laminated stock.

Todd Hoppe
05-21-2010, 4:44 PM
I would worry that box construction would not be able to survive the elements over time.
Norm made a garden gate along these lines on NYW that was mortise & tenon construction, you could probably search it out. As I recall the arch & detail work were made up of laminated stock.

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking that this wouldn't really be any different than the faux columns you see built from cedar, cpvc, etc...

Here, this is a better link than what I was thinking of before:

http://www.virtualtimbers.com/

Peter Quinn
05-21-2010, 4:58 PM
I'd build them hollow personally. Use a good exterior glue, get familiar with tape miters, save a ton of money in materials and crane rentals.:eek: Easy enough to do with either mitered corners or tongue and rabbit.