PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Haul

Tony De Masi
05-21-2010, 1:06 PM
Recently a friend called and asked if I would be interested in some cherry logs. ( well of course) He gave me the number to a friend of his who works in the parks department and I arranged to pick them up. The first photo shows what I was able to fit in my pickup, minus one log I already cut up. Those logs are about four feet long. The second photo shows what I went back and got yesterday with the help of a neighbor and his trailer. Those logs are five to six feet long.

The larger of the logs is 24" in diamter and the smallest is 13". I already split a crotch section but once inside the pith area was pretty much gone. I was hoping to get some nice feathering from the crotch. Instead I was able to get 18 bowl roughouts just from the one crotch piece.

There were six burls but most were rotted through. I was able to harvest two of them though.

I think I have enough cherry for a year or so now.:D

Tony

Robert McGowen
05-21-2010, 1:09 PM
For a retired guy, I would say that looks like about a months worth of cherry, not a years worth! Nice haul.

Steve Schlumpf
05-21-2010, 1:20 PM
Congrats!!! Sure is some beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Rob Cunningham
05-21-2010, 1:20 PM
Nice looking load of wood. Have fun turning it

bob svoboda
05-21-2010, 2:43 PM
Sweeeeet. Enjoy! Post Pic's

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2010, 5:09 PM
Congrats Tony. That is some fine looking Cherry.

alex carey
05-21-2010, 5:49 PM
2 feet in diameter and 6 feet long, thats a damn heavy chunk of wood. Gratz on the gloat.

David E Keller
05-21-2010, 5:54 PM
Nice gloat.

Tony De Masi
05-21-2010, 6:27 PM
Alex, most of these logs where quite heavy. They were loaded onto the trailer with a back hoe and taken off with my ATV wench. After that it took us some time to get them where I wanted them.

Bernie, if you are able to swing by next month I'll gladly share with ya.

Tony

charlie knighton
05-21-2010, 7:23 PM
way to go Tony, nice to have turning friends

John Keeton
05-21-2010, 8:16 PM
Really some nice wood, Tony!! Looks like cherry is going to be the flavor of the month in the De Masi shop!:D

Richard Madison
05-21-2010, 9:12 PM
Wish my wench was still that strong.

Karl Card
05-21-2010, 9:50 PM
Wish my wench was still that strong.

i wished i had a wench.... then some logs to pull with it..lol

Roland Martin
05-21-2010, 9:50 PM
Nice gloat Tony:)!! Anxious to see what you turn.

Greg Just
05-21-2010, 9:53 PM
nice haul Tony. Cherry is a great wood to turn. Looking forward to your bowls.

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2010, 9:54 PM
Alex, most of these logs where quite heavy. They were loaded onto the trailer with a back hoe and taken off with my ATV wench. After that it took us some time to get them where I wanted them.

Bernie, if you are able to swing by next month I'll gladly share with ya.

Tony

Sounds like a plan Tony. We will be heading to Montrose, PA sometime the latter part of June. You are just off 81 if I remember rightly. I will throw a couple of chucks of dark Missouri Walnut in for ya. I will make contact with you when we get to Richmond and when we get ready to head up to Pennsylvania. I just hope it all works out.

Sean Hughto
05-21-2010, 9:54 PM
Amazing haul! Wonderful looking wood.

I'm extrememly jealous. It's hard to find cherry that big and nice!