PDA

View Full Version : Differences Bosch 4000 v 4100

John Mark Lane
05-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Folks,

I have an opportunity to grab a Bosch 4000 for a pretty good priced used. I was seriously looking at the 4100, which I think (?) is the newer model. Can anyone quickly tell me what the differences are? Is the 4000 a good long-term saw (for a small shop)? The saw comes with the stationary base (not the mobile base), which is fine because I wouldn't use the mobile base anyway, I will build a wooden stand for it with other features (eg, folding side and outfeed tables etc).

Any help would be appreciated. I've been all over the place in what saw to get. I have a Delta Shopmaster, but will likely leave that in the garage for rough work outside etc. This will be for more refined work in a small shop setting.

Thanks,

Mark

Mike Reinholtz
05-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I had a 4000 and recently saw the 4100 at Dixieline Lumber. The 4100 has a new blade guard design, looks like quite a change from the 4000. I asked the difference and was told the newer unit comes with a wheeled stand so its more portable and has the newer blade guard, the fence looked a little different but not like a big upgrade. Motors in these don't vary much, pretty much just a circular saw mounted with the blade sticking up in the air. I was happy with mine, but upgraded to a contractor saw and eventually found a 40s unisaw that I really like.

No complaints, it was very portable and as far as benchtop machines go I think it's one of the best out there.

John Mark Lane
05-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks, Mike. That's actually very interesting, because the blade guard shown for the 4100 on the Bosch website is one of the most appealing things about the saw. It clips on or off in seconds and looks very cool.

On your 4000, was the blade guard easy to remove and replace? Did it have a riving knife and if so did it lower easily below the table? The 4100 also has anti-kickback pawls that come off easily. Sorry to pester you, but any help would be appreciated. I don't want to bug the seller if the 4000 is not what I want.

Chris Tsutsui
05-21-2010, 12:35 PM
My Neighbor has a Delta Shopmaster he paid something like $50 for a long time ago. Let me tell you that the Bosch is a pretty good step up.

I have a Bosch 4000, and it does have a splitter and blade cover that works just fine.

I had to adjust the blade, splitter and fence once, and didn't have to touch it ever again.

I use a Freud blade and you might want to try a thin kerf blade if working with a lot of hardwood. A good blade will make your cuts nice.

As far as expectations, this has met each one and not dissapointed though I would highly recommend using a rigid flip top outfeed support or an outfeed roller when working with larger pieces of work. The extension bar add-ons for this saw are so-so.

Also, keep the aluminum top clean and use a dry lube if you can else I found the rough surface can make it harder to slide wood on.

This saw has been used in my garage for over 2 years and I've been saving for a slider. Despite this being a jobsite saw, it performs almost like a contractor saw.

Chris Tsutsui
05-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks, Mike. That's actually very interesting, because the blade guard shown for the 4100 on the Bosch website is one of the most appealing things about the saw. It clips on or off in seconds and looks very cool.

On your 4000, was the blade guard easy to remove and replace? Did it have a riving knife and if so did it lower easily below the table? The 4100 also has anti-kickback pawls that come off easily. Sorry to pester you, but any help would be appreciated. I don't want to bug the seller if the 4000 is not what I want.

The blade gaurd can be removed by loosening one socket cap screw using an allen key. You raise the blade, remove red insert plate, use included allen key to loosen bolt and the whole cover and splitter is easily removed. It takes maybe 20-30 seconds.

The 4000 has a splitter that moves up and down with the blade which acts as the riving knife.

The blade gaurd, splitter, and anti-kickback pawls of the 4000 are ONE piece meaning they are all attached to eachother. You would have to do some fabrication work if you wanted just a splitter, etc...

I have not even researched if the new 4100 style will fit on the 4000 because I havn't had any complaints with the cover/splitter.

John Mark Lane
05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Chris, thanks for the replies. That is very helpful info. I can pick up the 4000 (in supposedly "almost new" condition) for $250. I really like the guard/splitter/pawl system on the 4100, so I guess I have to decide whether it's worth $350 more to get that... Hmmm.

John M Wilson
05-21-2010, 1:19 PM
I recently picked up a 4100 off of eBay (as it turned out, from a fellow SMC'er) that was in excellent shape, with many of the add-ons. I did have to watch many auctions go by until I caught the right one, but it was worth the wait. The riving knife/blade guard is so intuitive & easy to use, you will find yourself actually using it, instead of taking it off for "convenience". Especially after reading many of the threads here about kickback, as a newbie woodworker, I feel much safer with the guards installed. HTH, JW

John Mark Lane
05-21-2010, 1:57 PM
I recently picked up a 4100 off of eBay (as it turned out, from a fellow SMC'er) that was in excellent shape, with many of the add-ons. I did have to watch many auctions go by until I caught the right one, but it was worth the wait. The riving knife/blade guard is so intuitive & easy to use, you will find yourself actually using it, instead of taking it off for "convenience". Especially after reading many of the threads here about kickback, as a newbie woodworker, I feel much safer with the guards installed. HTH, JW

That's kind of what I was thinking looking at the 4100. It's actually a very cool setup they've engineered with the guard/RK/pawl on that saw. As much as $250 is appealing for the 4000, I'd rather spend the money and get what I really want.

Tom Hintz
05-21-2010, 2:27 PM
I have full reviews of both the Bosch 4000 and 4100 saw with photos and details about their features if that would be helpful.

Bosch 4000-9 Review (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/bshts4000rvu.html)

Bosch 4100 Review (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/b4100rvu.html)

John Mark Lane
05-21-2010, 3:16 PM
I have full reviews of both the Bosch 4000 and 4100 saw with photos and details about their features if that would be helpful.

Bosch 4000-9 Review (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/bshts4000rvu.html)

Bosch 4100 Review (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/b4100rvu.html)

Wow, that's a great website you've got there. Thanks. I read both reviews and found them very helpful. Basically, I think you've helped me confirm my suspicion that I would be much happier with the 4100.

I'm gonna go spend some time with the rest of your site.

Thank you,

Mark

Tom Hintz
05-22-2010, 5:34 AM
Wow, that's a great website you've got there. Thanks. I read both reviews and found them very helpful. Basically, I think you've helped me confirm my suspicion that I would be much happier with the 4100.

I'm gonna go spend some time with the rest of your site.

Thank you,

Mark

I think Bosch did a good thing in keeping most of the 4000 and adding the features woodworkers asked for in the 4100. Bosch has some serious engineering horsepower and tend to use it wisely.
Have fun!

Joseph Tarantino
05-22-2010, 8:12 AM
JML....IMHO, save the $350. i had a 4000 briefly (purchased off CL for $75) and sold it to a friend who needed a portable saw. i've subsequently had occasion to use it and there's really not a whole lot it can't do. great soft start feature on the motor but the gravity rise is a bit awkward, nowhere near as nice as the newer portable lift. however, $350 might be better allocated to other tool needs and accesories. sometimes, we get caught up in the "newest and best, gotta have it" tool pursuits rather than determinig what we need and the most effective way of getting there. just my $.02.