PDA

View Full Version : Storing logs for turning

Steve Stack
05-21-2010, 10:37 AM
I hope ya'll rememer what it was like not only to not know the answers but not to even know the right questions. Here goes, is it better to store rough logs in sections or as one long log? If I anchorseal the ends does it make a difference? I have the room to store a whole log up off the ground or I can go ahead and section it up. Does it matter in the way it will dry? What should I do? Thanks, Steve

Steve Schlumpf
05-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Steve - I keep everything in log form (with the end-grain sealed) until it is time to turn some of it - then I just cut off what I need and reseal the cut end. Wood will crack at the pith on the cut ends - so sealing it slows the cracking down but will not eliminate it. Leaving it in log form with the bark on will also slow down the drying process.

When it comes time to turn some of it - just chainsaw off a few inches from the end to get rid of any checks - and you are good to go.

Also - any question here is a good question - so ask away!

Ken Hill
05-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Anchorseal is your friend!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC8028/810883082_MAYbC-M.jpg

Steve Stack
05-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Steve, thanks for the quick answer. That sounds like what I'll do, just store the whole log sealed at both ends and then cut off what I want, reseal that end and go try to turn something. Thanks again, Steve

Barry Elder
05-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Cut and split a couple of pieces and reseal them with Anchorseal and put them up to dry. Cut a couple of pieces but don't split them, reseal them and put them up to dry. Leave all the rest in log form with the ends sealed and put them up to dry. Then, later on, if you get all twitchy from looking at all that wood, you won't have to pull out an entire log. The "up" in put them up to dry is a relative term!

Cody Colston
05-21-2010, 11:45 AM
The longer the log, the fewer ends you have to check and split so I'd also advise keeping them in log form with the ends sealed.

Do be aware that the logs will eventually spalt and if the bark is left on, they will become bug infested. That's not always a bad thing because spalted or "tunnelled" wood can be very interesting.

The bottom line is that you don't have forever to process them.

I also agree with Barry about cutting some of the logs into blanks now. On bigger diameter logs, I use the method Bill Grumbine demonstrates on his site. Slab off the outside to get two flats and then cut down either side of the pith to remove it. You will be left with two rectangular blanks several inches thick. Anchorseal the ends and put them aside for turning whenever you get the urge or the time. They will dry slowly and won't be prone to bugs with the bark removed.

Justin Stephen
05-21-2010, 11:46 AM
I would like to buy a nice, decent sized iron rack that I can put on the backside of the house for storing logs. I am looking for something big enough to handle 8-10 log segments. I guess I want a firewood rack of some sort. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy something like that?

Ken Hill's pallet solution just would not fly with the wife unless I moved it all the way to the back of my lot. I don't want to have to walk that far for my logs. :)

Allen Neighbors
05-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Steve, you have a lot of good info here. I make one more suggestion. I have had some good luck with my logs that I have stored on end. Seems like they have done better than those I laid flat.

Reed Gray
05-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I store some of mine on end. The good part of this is that the end that is on the ground almost never cracks, but you will get bugs and lots of worms under the bark. White tarp on top.

robo hippy

Ken Hill
05-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Unfortunatley for me living in the mountains, bugs are a way of life. Stored outside or inside we have them. I have been spraying in the general area once a month when I do the perieter of the house but cant really say if it will help. It also helps that I only heat our home with firewood so there is NO waste haha!

I have slabs cut and sealed and stored on end as well.

Allen Neighbors
05-21-2010, 1:27 PM
I neglected to say that mine that are stored on end are off the ground. They're in my carport, standing on a horizontal telephone pole, leaning against a storage shed. Both ends are coated with 2 layers of Anchor Seal. The upper end is covered by a loose plastic Walmart tarp. They are Black Walnut, Ash, and something else I can't remember right at the moment.

Steve Stack
05-21-2010, 5:35 PM
Thanks to all who have responded, I had no idea I would get the answers I was looking for so fast and with suggestions I had never dreamed of trying. Special thanks to Barry and Allen, I now plan on cutting a few sections to have ready to go at the shop and keep the remaining log standing on end in my barn. Again thanks to all, this place is great! Steve