PDA

View Full Version : sn2 jaw sets?

Steve Stack
05-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Ok, I'm still shy but reading all the info I can, also searched chucks, jaws, etc. but still not sure of an answer. A friend gave me an old shopsmith, so am truly a beginner. I want to turn bowls from around 5" to 14", small lidded jars, and some day hollow forms maybe. What accessory jaw sets for the sn2 chuck would ya'll suggest? I got the chuck when it was on sale at Woodcraft a while back. Thanks, Steve

John Keeton
05-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Steve, my Delta has a 12.5" capacity, so I can't speak to a 14" bowl, but the 50mm jaws have done everything I need to do. I have purchased a couple of sets of the soft jaws to use for lids, etc. where I need to avoid marring the surface or edge of a piece. Just used them for the first time last nite, and they worked great.

Michael Mills
05-21-2010, 11:23 AM
I assume your SN2 came with the 50mm jaws.
Here are the Teknatool specs for the 50mm and the Power Grip (100mm)
50mm jaws-up to 12" diameter for a bowl, or up to 6" length & 4" diameter for a spigot.
PowerGrip-up to 29" diameter for a bowl, or up to 19" length & 6" diameter for a spigot.
If you want to do hollow form at some point I would suggest the PowerGrip jaws, they can still be used as standard 100mm jaws for bowls.
Search ebay for "Jet Nova Premier Powergrip Jaw by Teknatool" they are about $45 including shipping. Yes, I know it says Jet (Jet is a distributor for Nova chucks, they are in the original Teknatool box). I bought a set about 3 months ago.
Mike

Steve Stack
05-21-2010, 11:25 AM
John, thanks, I read one of your earlier posts about the soft jaws and was wondering myelf if they could be used as sort of a substitute for cole jaws or a jam chuck. How did you use them? Thanks, Steve

Allen Neighbors
05-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Steve, when I purchased my first SN2, it came with the 50mm (normal) jaws, and I purchased the 47mm spigot jaws, for their stronger holding power for turning tall goblets out of a small log, and hollowforms. They are some powerful gripping jaws, with the serrations going from out to in on the jaws.
The next set I bought were the 25mm pin jaws, to hold small rounds for turning finials and flames.
I've turned up to 14" bowls with my normal (50mm) jaws, and use 'em like they're the only ones I have. I use them for the majority of my turning.
I also have the standard 100 mm jaws for turning larger diameter bowls, and squat potpourri dishes and platters.
Depending on what you want to turn most- and from what you suggested in your post, I recommend the 47mm Spigot Jaws.
Just remember, the 47mm Spigot jaws will grip a longer tenon, for some real power while turning hollowforms, but it also means you lose another 1 1/4 of the wood for the tenon.
You'll probably get some more good suggestions from this good forum. :)

Edit: After reading Michael Mills' post, above, I agree with him. I never even thought about the Power Grip jaws. They weren't being made when I got the 47mm jaws. Just make sure you don't order the Power Grip Jaws for the Titan... get the ones for the SN2. Yep, Michael's suggestion is best. :)

John Keeton
05-21-2010, 11:52 AM
John, thanks, I read one of your earlier posts about the soft jaws and was wondering myelf if they could be used as sort of a substitute for cole jaws or a jam chuck. How did you use them? Thanks, SteveSteve, the piece I am working on has a lid that it about 2.75" in diameter. I chucked up a piece of wood in the 50mm jaws, and finish turned the underside of the lid and the edge to fit the recess. Then, parted it off.

I turned a recess in the soft jaws that would grasp the lid, and used them to finish turn the top surface.

In the past, I have turned a slight recess on the underside of the lid, and grasped it in expansion mode with the 50mm jaws. That works, but the soft jaws did a fine job, and I avoided the recess.

Jim Sebring
05-22-2010, 12:05 AM
The original 50mm jaws will suffice for about 80% of what you will need. You might also look at a set of the long nose jaws.

As you get further into the vortex, jam chucks and glue blocks may become attractive. The cost for them is nil, since they're usually made from scraps and work very well for lots of turning projects.

Ryan Baker
05-25-2010, 9:44 PM
The best (by far) next set of jaws you should get are the 100mm jaws. I find them much superior to the Powergrip jaws (unless you need the extra depth). The long jaws (~75mm) are useful too. If you want smaller jaws, avoid the pin jaws and look at the new 4-jaw set. I use the 100mm about 60% of the time, 50mm 35%, and some other jaw the other 5%. Though in general, I suggest you get a set of larger jaws now (since you definitely need those) and add other jaws as you need them for the work you want to do.

Karl Card
05-25-2010, 10:02 PM
I guess I have a different approach... not right or wrong just different...
I really dont think you can have to many jaws sets... if money isnt a real big issue id keep looking on ebay or CL and get as many different sets as you can if you can get them for a good price. Yes most people do not let go of jaws but once in awhile they do... when your imagination starts running you may find you need many different types and that is what I like about teknatool is that most all there jaws are interchangable with almost all there chucks.

just a thought.