PDA

View Full Version : In Need of a Good Laugh

Liesl Dexheimer
05-21-2010, 9:31 AM
I'm in need of a good laugh right about now. What's the craziest or funniest story you have about a customer or customers? If you have a few please share.

Mine would have to be a call we received from a woman wanting to know where we were located. When I told her, she said "oh that's too far". Yet she was only a town away, it would have taken her probably 15 to 20 min to get here. I had to laugh after I hung up, what did she want us to do, bring the equipment to her?!

Rodne Gold
05-21-2010, 9:52 AM
2 funny but somewhat risque stories

One of my customers who'se wife just had a baby bought a small award and had " Life doesn't start with a whimper - It starts with bang" engraved on it.

I had a hoity toity know it all film director come in and ordered 1000 what looked like pens engraved - was for a science fiction film , these were snapped and they released some sort of gas (in the film). He gave me the engraving and I said "are you sure you want this..." He snapped back - "yes , thats EXACTLY what I want on then" I said "but..." he interrupted and said "just do it!!"
We went ahead and he came to collect the pens.
Next day he came back in a FURY "WHY did you engrave PENIS on my pens??"
I replied "but I tried to tell you that engraving PEN15 on those devices might NOT be a good idea."

Dee Gallo
05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the chuckles, Rodney:D

Dan Hintz
05-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Haha, that's a good one, Rodney...

Frank Corker
05-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Nice one Rodney with the Pen15 - it reminds me of that movie 'Play Misty For Me' starring Clint Eastwood. In the end credits (all in capitals) they put the L to near the I in his name, now that made me laugh.... a lot!!

Liesl Dexheimer
05-21-2010, 1:01 PM
Haha, that is a good story! Some people are just too much, lol!

Chris DeGerolamo
05-21-2010, 1:51 PM
That sound similar to the website where I get all of our pens: www dot pen island dot com....

Dan Hintz
05-21-2010, 2:15 PM
Thanks, Chris... I think that one just got me banned by the IT department ;)

FYI to all: It's PenIsland.net, not .com

Gary Hair
05-21-2010, 3:06 PM
ant then there is the story of
Ranger Dan and his big dog, Dick.

Make sure you punctuate properly...

Scott Shepherd
05-21-2010, 7:34 PM
I don't have a funny customer story, but the weather was beautiful here today, so I opened the bay door at the back, opened the front door to let a breeze come through the shop. There's a middle door to go from the office area to the shop, and it kept closing from the wind, so I took a bungee cord, put it around the door knob and then onto a piece of equipment behind it. No big deal. Closed up shop, left the door there open, no big deal, the AC wasn't on. So I came back to work after dinner, went to the back, turned the lights on, came up to the front, grabbed that door knob to pull the door closed and when I pulled it to close it, the tension finally got high from the bungee and it pulled the door back open out of my hand.

Scared the you know what out of me! I thought for sure someone was behind the door. After the sudden heart rate jump up to 180, I realized I had tied it off earlier :D I knew I shouldn't have come back to work tonight :)

Liesl Dexheimer
05-22-2010, 9:05 AM
Haha, that's a good one Scott! It's funny how you forget things like that and scare yourself occasionally. I sometimes think we have little gremlins running around..."man I swear I put that over there, now where is it?! I can't find it!" Can't tell you how many times I've misplaced something.

Mark Ross
05-22-2010, 9:33 AM
I've got a weird one. I came in the shop today and since I am the only one here it is mighty quiet...

I go to the engraver, and I hear birds chirping...

Yep...some obviously way too dumb bird built a nest somewhere in our exhaust system...

I don't know how the birds survive all that exhaust (our blower is so overdesigned that the blowerr, when on, will hold down our material if it takes up 1/2 or more of the workspace (24 X 35 Epilog EXT).

Now I hafta figure out what to do...leave it as is, call animal control...move them myself...

Liesl Dexheimer
05-22-2010, 9:46 AM
Awww I hope they survive. I can't believe they were able to make a nest in there. Crazy birds!

Chuck Stone
05-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Not a customer story really, just how dense I can be.

I was doing a lot of digital work form someone who had spent 10 years
making a documentary on Hendrix. He often brought in photos that had
to be scanned while he waited, then repacked and sent to Fedex. (he'd
only have them overnight) Sometimes he had other people with him, but
not anyone I knew. One day he brought in a stack of old Polaroids to be
scanned and he introduced his friend Phoebe. We exchanged pleasantries
and got to work. Usually when he brought things in, it was hectic and I
had to stop everything else to work with him. They both had questions
and suggestions about the work and we spent about an hour getting
things ironed out.

At some point I mentioned that she had a very unusual voice, reminded
me of a singer. She said "You mean Phoebe Snow? Yeah, I get that a lot"
It took about 10 minutes for the little light to go on over my head, but
when it finally did, they both laughed and told me "It took you long enough"

Liesl Dexheimer
05-22-2010, 1:30 PM
Haha! Good one. Yeah I'm sure we've all had moments like that where you slap your hand to your forehead (duh!), then you feel like a complete idiot, lol!

George Brown
05-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks, Chris... I think that one just got me banned by the IT department ;)

FYI to all: It's PenIsland.net, not .com

Too late, already tried PenIsland.com, did NOT bring up pens!

I used to subscribe to a tech site called ExpertsExchange, well, if you capitalize it differently, it becomes ExpertSexChange. Web filters tend to block things like that!:eek:

Lee DeRaud
05-23-2010, 12:56 AM
All of which brings to mind an old Benny Hill bit where a couple of accidently-inserted spaces transforms "Psychotherapist" into "Psycho the rapist".

Bill Cunningham
05-25-2010, 9:30 PM
I've got a weird one. I came in the shop today and since I am the only one here it is mighty quiet...

I go to the engraver, and I hear birds chirping...

Yep...some obviously way too dumb bird built a nest somewhere in our exhaust system...

I don't know how the birds survive all that exhaust (our blower is so overdesigned that the blowerr, when on, will hold down our material if it takes up 1/2 or more of the workspace (24 X 35 Epilog EXT).

Now I hafta figure out what to do...leave it as is, call animal control...move them myself...

I get Starlings that do that every year. They lift up the blast flaps on the exhaust, and start pulling in grass and all kinds of stuff to build a nest. I usually just hear them scratching about inside the pipe. The blower will evict them PDQ, my only regret is I can never make it outside fast enough, to see how far it fires them :D But, I do know how far you can fire a rat from a Oxy/Acetylene filled steel pipe:rolleyes:

Rob Patterson
05-26-2010, 8:49 AM
O.K. here is one of mine....

I had just started running this engraver (Maybe had been doing it for a couple of weeks.) I left my desk for a a few minutes one day and when I returned there was this wood box (probably 7" square) with a post-it note on top. We have a lot of woodworkers in the area so, I just figured it was something someone had made and was wanting it engraved. I was busy working on something else so I pushed it to the side and continued what I was doing.

So, after an hour or so, I grab the box and start inspecting it. I noticed it didn't have a lid or any way to open it. The box was screwed down to the base. I then read the post-it note; it had a name and two dates.......

Anyone want to guess what the box was????

...and yes, it was "occupied"!

Mark Ross
05-26-2010, 8:52 AM
AShes to ashes, dust to dust?

Liesl Dexheimer
05-26-2010, 7:27 PM
Ewww, that's creepy! We engrave urn plates but never a box with ashes actually in it.

O.K. here is one of mine....

I had just started running this engraver (Maybe had been doing it for a couple of weeks.) I left my desk for a a few minutes one day and when I returned there was this wood box (probably 7" square) with a post-it note on top. We have a lot of woodworkers in the area so, I just figured it was something someone had made and was wanting it engraved. I was busy working on something else so I pushed it to the side and continued what I was doing.

So, after an hour or so, I grab the box and start inspecting it. I noticed it didn't have a lid or any way to open it. The box was screwed down to the base. I then read the post-it note; it had a name and two dates.......

Anyone want to guess what the box was????

...and yes, it was "occupied"!

Frank Corker
05-27-2010, 1:29 PM
Ewww, that's creepy! We engrave urn plates but never a box with ashes actually in it.

Jeepers it's only dead stuff in there, not likely to burn it.

John Barton
06-20-2010, 8:48 AM
Once I was doing cues at a show and I had a big flatscreen tv as my monitor sitting on the back of the laser where everyone could see the job as I set it up.

I had a form for people to fill out with explicit instructions to spell their name in block letters and in capitals.

When I set up the jobs I would underline each letter on the form to insure I was spelling the name right.

So I set up this job and the customer happens to be standing there so I turn to him and ask him to verify that everything is right. He looks at the screen, I run the test with the red dot where the name will go and he says it's all good.

So I burn the cue and it comes out great.

He takes it in his hands and says, "It's great but you spelled my name wrong". I said "no, if it's spelled wrong then YOU spelled it wrong."

Sure enough he had spelled his own name wrong. :-)