PDA

View Full Version : Major Bummer

Doug Shepard
05-21-2010, 8:13 AM
It looks like I probably have a bit of chemo in store. A C/T scan showed a mass in my chest (6cm x 4cm) and I underwent a needle biopsy yesterday so they can figure out what it is. Also have a PET scan and another C/T scan scheduled for next week. I go back to the oncologist on 6/1 when I'll get the results of all the testing and figure out what the game plan is. So what's in store and what kinds of questions should I be asking?

Belinda Barfield
05-21-2010, 8:33 AM
I'm sorry to hear this news, Doug. I can't answer any of your questions, but just wanted to let you know you will be in my thoughts.

Chris Kennedy
05-21-2010, 8:49 AM
Doug,

Sorry to hear it you have to go through chemo. I have no personal experience, but both my parents went through chemo.

Definitely ask about expected side effects. One batch my mother went through was just fine (a little nausea after the initial infusion, but otherwise fine), whereas another batch was horrible (nausea all the time, lost her hair, the works). They have meds to combat nausea, so if it is expected, make certain that you get some.

Assuming it is infusion, you may want to ask about a porta-cath (?). My mother had very bad veins, and IV's were a new experience in pain and discomfort. If you are similarly inclined, they can surgically place a small port just below your clavicle, and they can run all injections through there.

The big thing to watch out for is loss of appetite and dehydration. With my dad, we had to make certain that when he actually felt like eating that we made it count -- high calorie and high protein, usually. I think that was the only time a doctor has ever suggested that a patient eat a fast-food burger.

Good luck -- we're pulling for you.

Cheers,

Chris

Jim O'Dell
05-21-2010, 9:07 AM
Sorry to hear this Doug. I'll keep you in my prayers. LOML is going in for a biopsy in the next week or so. This is the scary time, knowing some but not all. Once it is all figured out, the game plan can be set and a lot of the worry can go away. Stay strong! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2010, 9:44 AM
Doug,

First my sincere sympathy to you.

I know from personal experience the waiting is tough but...

Wait until the experts and you know what type if any form of malignancy you are up against. Then you can make a game plan and start making decisions.

It's truly amazing what they can treat these days. The LOML is a 17 year survivor of a rare form of cancer that only has a 50% survival rate if diagnosed and treated at stage 0. Hers was stage 1.

It may only require surgery....maybe chemo......there are a lot of maybe's ....

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Mitchell Andrus
05-21-2010, 9:46 AM
I had Seminoma back in 1992 or 93... a variety of testicular cancer. (You'd never know, btw. It's like getting a hernia fixed with radiation and CAT scans for a while afterwards). First, you're not going to die. Second, in a year or two you'll wonder what people mean when they ask 'how are you doing' with a little too much concern, 'cause you'll forget. Third, make sure you ask for any anti-nausea drugs you can get. I ate like a linebacker and gained weight, felt better with a full stomach.

Assume you just need to do this - like taxes - and do it. Get the job done. Accumulate information, figure it out, be flexible and the days will fly by. Trust me, if you fit this new stuff into your day you'll come out with zero stress.

Rob Cunningham
05-21-2010, 1:31 PM
Sorry to hear your news Doug. I have no experience in this area but will keep you, your family and the doctors in my prayers.

bob svoboda
05-21-2010, 2:33 PM
Doug....Whatever your game plan turns out to be, make sure it is played out by the very best medical people you have available to you. Once you are confident of that, follow their advice to the letter and have faith in their capabilities. Get plenty of rest, plenty of exercise and don't be afraid to lean on your closest supporters. My personal experience was a diagnosis of a cancer with a 12-15% 5 year survival rate. It is now going on 7 years and I am cancer free. I am a true believer that modern medicine can work miracles. All the best....I am rooting for you!

Doug Shepard
05-21-2010, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the support y'all. I'll let you know after I find out all the test results on the 1st. At this point it's interfering seroiusly with doing any woodworking. Just haven't felt good enough to do anything more than think about WW so I'll be glad to get some sort of cure in sight.

Doug Shepard
06-01-2010, 2:30 PM
Well here's the results.
I've got adenocarcinoma (sp?) and get to have both chemo and radiation. So the next couple of months should be a real party. The doc is putting me on medical leave so I should have lots of free time to keep up with SMC doings.

Keith Starosta
06-01-2010, 2:56 PM
Best of luck, Doug. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!!

Belinda Barfield
06-01-2010, 2:57 PM
Doug, at least now you know and you and your docs can get started on the treatment. Please know that we'll be here for you on the good days and the bad days. I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-01-2010, 3:10 PM
Doug,

The LOML is a 17 survivor of adenocarcinoma in a different organ I'm sure.

Good luck. We'll keep you in our thoughts!

Mike Null
06-01-2010, 6:21 PM
Doug

Best wishes to you.

My daughter just had BC surgery and all is well. She'll be on radiation therapy but everyone is optimistic.

Treatment has indeed come a long way.

Mitchell Andrus
06-01-2010, 6:34 PM
17 years and counting. Do as you're told but keep up the research and find a few forums to surf. An informed patient is a healthy patient. Good luck, and.......

Don't let the bastard win.

John Keeton
06-01-2010, 6:56 PM
Doug, I missed this thread when it started! Sorry to hear about your situation, but it sounds like they are really going after it aggressively, so my bet is all will be fine! Prayer works! God can and does work miracles. I wish you the best.

Leigh Costello
06-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Good luck with your treatment, Doug. We will be thinking of you. SMC is a great source for uplifting thoughts and ww dreams. Keep us posted when you can.

Rob Cunningham
06-02-2010, 1:01 PM
Good luck with your treatments Doug. We'll be thinking about you.

Bruce Page
06-02-2010, 1:06 PM
Doug, I missed your original post too. Hang in there and do what the Doc tells you.
I'll be praying for a good outcome.

Bruce

Jim Tobias
06-02-2010, 2:19 PM
Doug,
Just saw this. Sorry that you have to deal with this, but it sounds like they are giving it the aggressive treatment which might knock it out! Several in my family have dealt with different cancers and while they can be difficult, they also can be beaten. Find out all that you can and get the best treatment available and most importantly, be determined to beat it.

Jim

Phyllis Meyer
06-02-2010, 2:42 PM
Doug,

You will be in our thoughts and prayers! Hang in there and don't forget if you ever need to talk...we are all here at the creek!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

bob svoboda
06-02-2010, 2:56 PM
I beat it, you'll beat it too. Good luck and go kick some cancer butt!

Rod Sheridan
06-02-2010, 3:05 PM
Good luck Doug, I'll be thinking of you........Regards, Rod.

Michael MacDonald
06-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Doug -- sorry to hear about this. I don't have much advice other than to keep a positive attitude as best you can. I know you can beat this handily!

Mike Cruz
06-03-2010, 5:49 AM
Doug, all I have are a bunch of dittos. Sorry to hear about your situation, I missed the thread when it first posted, keep a positive attitude, and fight fight fight. Believing you can beat it is a huge part of the battle. My thoughts will be with you.

On the bright side, you have a bunch of time to create projects and think up jigs for your shop. Maybe do some mental rearranging of your shop, too.

Brian J. Williams
06-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Doug-

My wife has just finished her second round of being staged at IV- a very nasty lobular breast cancer (5 years between diagnoses). This time, chemo only, but. . 6-1/2 months, 3 weeks each month and then a week off. Her CA 125 at the beginning of treatment was pushing 690, now down in the 15-20 range. One tough woman- hell, one tough person- more mettel than some special operator types I worked with. We just came back from a week in Arizona, because she'd never seen the Grand Canyon before. She's still a little tired these days, but her hair is coming back.

Oddly enough, her diagnosis has remined me that we have to be grateful for the time we have with folks- it can be real short.

Hang tough brother, and we'll be praying for you.

Brian and Annetta

Dennis Peacock
06-04-2010, 6:23 PM
I'm with ya Doug.!!!!

My dad has finished his radiation treatment and has started his chemo.
Prayers for ya my friend.

Stew Hagerty
06-04-2010, 7:22 PM
Sorry to hear Doug. I will add you to my prayer list. I just got back from Mayo two weeks ago myself. I have a lesion in my thoracic spine. They said I have Tansverse Myelitis. Fortunately, it is currently innactive. Unfortunately, the Neurologist recommended not operating on the lesion. In fact he said even doing a byopsy, I would have a 50/50 chance of coming out in worse shape than I am now. Now they just have to figure out the best way to treat the pain.

Since this all happened to me, I have a much different outlook on life. It may sound cliche, but I really do appreciate all the little things that I used to take for granted. Hang in there and don't be bashful about taking all the love and caring your family and friends offer. It will help them as much as it will you.