PDA

View Full Version : My Grandmother Passed Away

Belinda Barfield
05-21-2010, 7:41 AM
Thanks again to all of you who have kept me and my family in your thoughts and prayers over the past week or so. My grandmother passed away in the wee hours of the morning.

Von Bickley
05-21-2010, 7:45 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss......

Steve Schlumpf
05-21-2010, 7:53 AM
Belinda - my heart goes out to you and your family on hearing of your loss. Thoughts and prayers sent.....

Rob Cunningham
05-21-2010, 7:55 AM
I'm sorry for your loss Belinda.

Roger Newby
05-21-2010, 8:02 AM
My sympathies to all. I hope she had a grand life.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2010, 8:03 AM
Belinda,

My sincere sympathies on the loss of your Grandma.

You, your Grandma and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

Rod Sheridan
05-21-2010, 8:45 AM
Belinda, please accept my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your grandmother.

In reading your many posts, you mention your grandmother, and family often.

You've been very lucky to have enjoyed that relationship, and I'm sure that you have many wonderful memories to cherish.

Regards, Rod.

Jim O'Dell
05-21-2010, 9:08 AM
Sorry to hear the news Belinda. May the shamrocks fall softly. Jim.

Mitchell Andrus
05-21-2010, 9:34 AM
I've got one grand left. She's 98 and remembers the Dr. Zhivago days in old Russia. Horse soldiers raiding the countryside.... Her dad 'abandoned' the farm after the revolution, in '23 or so. Her first flush toilet was on the boat to NY.... Statue of Liberty and all that. She's the family's history trust on my mom's side and still cracks the whip.

I hope you enjoyed your grandma's company as I do mine.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Belinda Barfield
05-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I could tell so many funny stories about Grandma Jewel, but most of them would offend someone in some way. She had a knack for incorrectly using words. She was usually close, but not quite on the mark. Once the Alzheimer's set in that got even worse. I hope Heaven is all she dreamed it would be because she worked mighty hard to get there.

Jeff Monson
05-21-2010, 11:34 AM
I hope Heaven is all she dreamed it would be because she worked mighty hard to get there

Well said, sorry for your loss.

Don Orr
05-21-2010, 12:52 PM
My condolences to you and your family.

Heather Thompson
05-21-2010, 1:40 PM
Belinda,

I feel your pain, my GrandMa grew up on a farm in Bloomer Wisconsin, they fed and helped many homeless folks during the depression. When they sold the farm they moved to Rochester Mn, my grandfather died while showing a piece of land, I buried my face in my dads leg while they closed the casket. GrandMa came to visit when my son was three, she died two years later of Alzheimer's, very sad. It was a cloudy/rainey day, when the Priest closed the casket the sun came through the clouds and stained glass, it was like come home Georgia to your husband. I can not see through my eyes right now, as I kneel next to my bed tonight you will all be in my prayers.

Please Find peace, your fiend.

Heather

Lee Schierer
05-21-2010, 2:59 PM
My sympathies. It's never easy and words ad memories just don't seem to fill the gaps left.

Phyllis Meyer
05-21-2010, 5:57 PM
Dear Belinda,

That Grandma of yours was a special lady and those wonderful memories will keep her close to your heart!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Bruce Page
05-21-2010, 6:28 PM
Belinda, my condolences to you and your family.

Ted Calver
05-21-2010, 6:33 PM
Belinda.
Please accept our condolences on your loss. It sounds like she lived up to her name and that you will have fond memories to carry with you.

Bonnie Campbell
05-21-2010, 6:49 PM
My condolences to you and your family.

Brian Effinger
05-21-2010, 7:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Belinda. My thoughts are with you.

Joe Mioux
05-21-2010, 9:59 PM
My condolences to you, Belinda, and your family. These next few days are special as you remember your grandmother and her life. This may sound a bit strange, but it is meant sincerely. Enjoy and relive many of the memories you have of your grandmother during this period of mourning.

Belinda Barfield
05-22-2010, 7:06 AM
Thank you all again for your kind words, thoughts and prayers.

My grandmother hasn't lived in her house for a number of years. I was thinking last night about what I would like to have to remember her by, and came up with the funniest thing. As long as I can remember grandma had a giant wooden knife and fork hanging on either side of her china cabinet. Do y'all remember those? For some reason they just say "grandma" to me.

I do have a favor to ask of all of you. If you have children please don't ever do anything to make them feel guilty for wanting to spend time with a grandparent or with your spouse's family, whether you like that family or not. As much time as I spent with grandma, I didn't spend nearly enough.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2010, 9:00 AM
Belinda,

In life somethings IMHO happen for a reason. I accepted a promotion to management and moved to the Chicago area for a number of years. My 3 children were able to have a fantastic relationship with my MIL and FIL who lived in a small farming town about 130 miles south of Chicago.

Now that my FIL has passed away, my MIL has her moments where at age 87 she wonders why she's still on this earth. Physically she is in good shape for her age.

My youngest son......guess what he is looking forward to?.....Guess what my MIL is looking forward to?...

Sharon flies out in a few weeks. She arrives in Illinois on a Tuesday....She and her Mom fly out on Thursday.....to spend a week with Mike and Kristy and the twins who will be 4 months old.

Mom is intrigued by the photos Sharon has sent of the twins.

Mike can't wait to introduce his new children to the grandmother who played such a big role in his life.

One can't spend too much time with grandparents.

My thoughts are with you Belinda.

Shawn Christ
05-22-2010, 9:39 AM
My sympathies, Belinda. I'm sure you will always have some wonderful memories of her...

Greg Peterson
05-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Sorry for your loss. Your family are in my thoughts.

Mike Langford
05-22-2010, 6:37 PM
My condolences Belinda, sorry for your loss....

Mike Cruz
05-22-2010, 6:59 PM
Always remember her for the best times. My mom's mom had a few saying that ring in my ears all the time. They always bring a smile to my face. May thoughts of your Grandmother bring you as much joy.

Ron Jones near Indy
05-22-2010, 7:43 PM
I'm sorry for your loss Belinda. May the good memories remain firmly in your life. Grandmothers are truly special people.

John Keeton
05-22-2010, 8:50 PM
Belinda, the grieving process is hard, but soon you will have all of the great memories. My mother had Alzheimer's, and her death brought her relief. I am sure your grandmother is in a better place - and heaven is probably so much better than she ever dreamed. My prayers are with you

Belinda Barfield
05-24-2010, 5:56 PM
I just returned from the funeral, and got to spend most of the weekend with my family. Last night after visitation we were all sitting around sharing stories about grandma. One of her daughters told us about the time they took grandma to my cousin's wedding in Texas. This was sometime around Christmas. They're driving along the road and pass a church, grandma says, "hmm. . . The Church of the Holy Reindeer". The sign read Redeemer!

Thanks again all.

Don Newman
05-24-2010, 6:27 PM
Belinda,
Is this the grandmother you quote in your signature? If so I think of her and her wisdom (intended or otherwise) often. She was obviously a very special person.

Belinda Barfield
05-24-2010, 9:13 PM
Belinda,
Is this the grandmother you quote in your signature? If so I think of her and her wisdom (intended or otherwise) often. She was obviously a very special person.

Yes, Don, it is. And yes, she was.

Leigh Costello
05-26-2010, 1:04 AM
So sorry to hear about your loss, Belinda. I have been lax in my 'Creek visiting. Sounds like your memories of her are very loving and humorous. Cherish them - write them down somewhere. Write her story, I just bet it's a good one.

Michael MacDonald
05-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss Belinda...

Dennis Peacock
05-27-2010, 2:26 PM
So sorry for your loss Belinda. Peace and comfort to you and your family.