PDA

View Full Version : Engraving

Greg Just
05-20-2010, 9:56 PM
I turn a lot of travel mugs like those pictured below. I have been lucky enough to sell quite a few and recently customers have asked about engraving names and or logos on the mugs. I stopped at a local trophy shop and they don't do much wood, especially curved wood.

What are my options? What kind of local shop might do this? I posted a similar thread in the engravers forum and did not get much of a response

Thanks in advance.

Dan Cannon
05-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Never had that exact application, but you might want to call any small sign shops in your area. A lot of them have CNC engravers for wood, plastic, foam, metal etc. Some of them are set up to put logos onto giveaway items for promotional companies, so they can usually set it up for curved and irregular pieces. Just a thought. Good luck, it's a cool idea.

Dan

Karl Card
05-21-2010, 4:54 AM
get out your pocket knife..lol
I would check with your local engravers in the phone book.. Here in Evansville most cant but I found a few that can.. I even called sign makers and found a few there that could engrave wood things..

I keep checking on laser engravers but them things were made for the rich as of right now..

John Keeton
05-21-2010, 5:31 AM
Greg, I would think that someone with a rotary attachment for their laser could easily do this. Why not post it in the Engravers forum and request help? I know that wine bottles can be done, so this should be a breeze!

BTW, I promised I would save some scrap for you, and I haven't forgotten. It is just that I haven't done any flatwork since buying this dang lathe!!!!!:mad::o:D;)

Mark Hubl
05-21-2010, 1:55 PM
Greg,

Engraving is nice. Good luck finding someone. I have also seen a technique that you may want to look into. One of the gentlemen at one of the clubs I belong too brought in some pens he had used waterslide decal paper on. Any image that you can print can be applied to the paper and that is applied to the item and finished over. He had very small family crests on the pens and they looked great.

If you do a google search on decal paper several vendors will come up. Just a thought.

Brodie Brickey
05-21-2010, 2:33 PM
Greg,

Mugs look great! Instead of engraving, you might consider wood burning. They're relatively inexpensive. Depending on your finish you might even be able to do it after finishing.

You might also try: http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com for engraving but shipping will be involved.

Belinda Barfield
05-21-2010, 3:19 PM
I turn a lot of travel mugs like those pictured below. I have been lucky enough to sell quite a few and recently customers have asked about engraving names and or logos on the mugs. I stopped at a local trophy shop and they don't do much wood, especially curved wood.

What are my options? What kind of local shop might do this? I posted a similar thread in the engravers forum and did not get much of a response

Thanks in advance.

Nice mugs, Greg. No all laser engravers have a rotary attachment. I do, and I'd be glad to help but I'm not in your area. You may want to check the Friends of the Creek listin to see what engraver is near you. Many times trophy shops are only set up to do plaques and name plates.

Rotary engravers work best if the item is of uniform circumference, and not sloped, since the area of best burn is so focused. Logos may be difficult but shouldn't be impossible.

Karl Card
05-21-2010, 3:49 PM
Greg, I would think that someone with a rotary attachment for their laser could easily do this. Why not post it in the Engravers forum and request help? I know that wine bottles can be done, so this should be a breeze!

BTW, I promised I would save some scrap for you, and I haven't forgotten. It is just that I haven't done any flatwork since buying this dang lathe!!!!!:mad::o:D;)

flatwork....uhmmm whats that..lolÖ¿Ö

Greg Just
05-21-2010, 9:48 PM
I got a lead today. I stopped in at a local sign making shop and while they don't do it, the owner gave me the name of a guy that sells the equipment and he will do some engraving. I plan to give him a call and see what he can do.

John: No worry about the wood. My day job has been crazy lately and there has not been too much shop time, although I did sell 2 mugs this week. My inventory is down to 5 so I do need to get busy again.