PDA

View Full Version : Buy Local, But...

Jared McMahon
05-20-2010, 8:28 PM
I support buying local, buying domestic, etc. and almost always do so.

However... the European financial markets continue to have issues, and this is bringing down the value of the Euro and the British Pound against the US dollar. I surf the web sites for tool sellers in Europe but it's almost never cost-effective due to shipping costs and the exchange rate. This could very well be changing. So, while it's always great to spend money within your town, state, country or continent, it may be a... let's say, fiscally prudent time to revisit some of those European tool shops.

Jeff Johnson
05-21-2010, 8:58 AM
Yeah, I just bought a book I've been wanting from the UK, and there's another book that I've only been able to find in France that I might get - once I get an Amazon France acount.

(rant) Why can't Amazon go global, rather than have all of these seperate groups?

Andrew Pitonyak
05-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Why can't Amazon go global, rather than have all of these seperate groups?
This is just a guess, but, it may be related to restrictions placed on them when they do business in a specific country. Examples may include required access to customer information by the government, or restrictions on selling certain types of merchandise. Just a guess...

David Cefai
05-21-2010, 2:19 PM
Please remember: don't buy power tools from here. We use 220V single phase and 415V three phase.

When buying from Europe don't forget there's VAT to pay as well. Runs 15 to 18% depending on the country. You may also need to pay customs duty at your end. I have to pay customs duty on anything bought in the states - even books.

Play.com do free delivery but don't sell tools. Dieter Schmid (http://www.fine-tools.com/index.html) sell neander tools and seem to have very reasonable shipping rates - at least within the EU.

Hope this helps (and no, I have no connection with the chamber of commerce :-) )

Jim Hoti
05-21-2010, 9:14 PM
Tools, yes, but books, no. Plus, if it is shipped out of the country, most of the time you do not have to pay VAT.

Frank Drew
05-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Trade is a two-way street -- if we want to sell U.S. goods overseas it's only reasonable that we should also buy foreign made goods, whether it's hand tools or mangos or whatever. IMO.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Trade is a two-way street -- if we want to sell U.S. goods overseas it's only reasonable that we should also buy foreign made goods, whether it's hand tools or mangos or whatever. IMO.

Especially on mangos! :D

Frank Drew
05-22-2010, 4:01 PM
Especially mangos!! Last night I introduced some folks at work to the champagne (ataulfo) mangos -- rocked their worlds! One of the women had never had mango of any kind.... it was a revelation for her.