PDA

View Full Version : "Cancun" pen

Eugenio Soto
05-20-2010, 6:54 PM
I made this pen a while back. It is made from one of my "Cancun” blanks. I named it that way bec it looks like the beach in Cancun...the blue, green and violet colors with the burl part looking like sand. It is made of Brown Mallee Burl Cap and polyurethane resin on a Jr. Stateman kit with a CA finish.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/ElMostro_bucket/Gallery%20Pens/SeaShore.jpg

David E Keller
05-20-2010, 6:56 PM
Gorgeous! Great color combo and appropriately named.

John Keeton
05-20-2010, 7:02 PM
Perfect name! I don't know if the beach idea was the inspiration or an afterthought, but either way it really turned out great.

Allen Neighbors
05-20-2010, 7:16 PM
What they said!!! Great pen!

Dan Cannon
05-20-2010, 7:37 PM
Beautiful pen!
By the way, I'm curious, I've seen cast polyurethane, cast acrylic and cast polyester on this site. Have you used any of the others, and what are the advantages of urethane? Where do you get your resin supplies (resin, pigment, pearl, etc.), I really want to give it a shot once I really start turning.

Thanks,
Dan

Karl Card
05-20-2010, 8:20 PM
that is just to cool.... does anybody have some extra patience they wanna get rid of....lol

John Keeton
05-20-2010, 8:29 PM
.... does anybody have some extra patience they wanna get rid of....lolKarl, I seem to recall that back before 5 kids I had some patience, but lost it!:eek: Now that they are grown and out, I seem to be finding bits and pieces of it here and there. Eventually, I hope to find it all!!:D

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2010, 8:52 PM
Eugenio - great looking pen! Love the colors!

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2010, 9:53 PM
That is a beauty. Really like the colors.

James Combs
05-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Beautiful pen!
By the way, I'm curious, I've seen cast polyurethane, cast acrylic and cast polyester on this site. Have you used any of the others, and what are the advantages of urethane? Where do you get your resin supplies (resin, pigment, pearl, etc.), I really want to give it a shot once I really start turning.

Thanks,
Dan

Outstanding looking pen and ditto what Dan Cannon asked.

Van Huskey
05-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Thats a very striking pen!

Eugenio Soto
05-21-2010, 4:18 PM
Beautiful pen!

Thanks,
Dan

Just MY opinion but I like working with polyurethane bec it is more forgiving and easier to turn (for me) it is also gentler on my tools, the downside is that it does not polish as easy as polyester resin and it more expensive. Since I cast and cut my own blanks (a bunch of them) the urethane is easier on the bandsaw and my sinus. Polyester resin is a great resin but I cannot deal with the chemical smell and it really puts a strain on the blades when mass producing and while turning. You can find the resin in hobby lobby and use the Transtints liquid dyes from woodcraft or the powder pearlex dyes from Michale's for colors.

ron hossack
05-22-2010, 9:49 AM
Just MY opinion but I like working with polyurethane bec it is more forgiving and easier to turn (for me) it is also gentler on my tools, the downside is that it does not polish as easy as polyester resin and it more expensive.
Are we talking about Aluminite here?

BTW, outstanding pen ...

Eugenio Soto
05-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Correcto! Alumilite.

Eugene

Are we talking about Aluminite here?

BTW, outstanding pen ...

Michael Short
05-22-2010, 3:49 PM
I like the color choices for this pen.