PDA

View Full Version : Hollow forms

Greg Wandless
11-22-2004, 10:56 AM
I am thinking about getting into hollow forms (no pun intended) ;) and looking for advice on where to start. I looked through the Craft Suppiles catalogue and there are several systems for hollowing. Is one any better than the other? I did not see any books or vidieos on the subject, are there any somewhere else? How do you clear out the chips during hollowing?

Thanks,
Greg

Brad Schmid
11-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Greg,

I'll have to give you a subjective opinion mainly because I'll never have the sponsorship or the cash to try every hollowing system to form an objective opinion. I like the captured hollowing systems and settled on the Jamieson rig. It works well, is easy to control, and while a significant deviation from the more traditional methods of hollowing with handheld tools and muscle, I believe it is safer.

I built my own capture rest per the plans that come with the hollowing tool as opposed to buying one. I also have and like the laser attachment for gauging wall thickness. Lyle Jamieson also has a video that covers hollow form turning in general, and the use of his rig specifically.

As for clearing chips, for the most part I use a shop vac and compressed air (lathe stopped).

The are several capture systems on the market, I don't imagine there's a huge difference between them. They all function on pretty much the same principle.

Cheers,
Brad

Jack Hogoboom
11-22-2004, 4:02 PM
Greg,

Pick up a copy of David Ellsworth's video on turning hollow forms. He explains everything very well. Better yet, take one of his classes!!

Jack

Jim Becker
11-22-2004, 11:30 PM
I believe that everyone should learn to hollow using "manual" tools, such as the Ellsworth set that Jack mentions or the Stewart systems by example. But I would not give up my Jamison captive system, for sure...it lets me hollow for long periods of time with little effort so I can concentrate on the "art" rather than my aching arms.

Anthony Yakonick
11-24-2004, 12:10 AM
I will give up my Stewart tool when they pry it from my cold dead hands! ;)