PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press

Chas Fuggetta
05-20-2010, 6:46 PM
I'm in the market for a benchtop drill press. I'd like to stay under $200. I can get the Delta DP350 for about $188 after using an HF 20% off coupon at Lowes. I won't be using it with a mortising attachment right away and may or may not in the future. I just want an accurate DP to drill pilot holes and perhaps us it as a sander. A 1/2" chuck would be nice too but not required. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ok, just check CL and found a brand new DP300 in the box for $125. I don't know if it still available but at that price I'll prolly' pull the trigger. I'm of the mind to get the tool I need and can use and don't mind paying a little more. The $200 limit is negotiable as well. :p

Mike Reinholtz
05-20-2010, 8:01 PM
I just upgraded to a General floor machine, but for the past 2 years I have been very happy with my 12" Craftsman benchtop machine. It came with a built in digital depth readout (DRO), laser guide that is surprisingly nice, and 5 speeds. The range of speeds could use some improvement but overall I've been very happy with it. They usually cost $200 but have gone on sale, I think I paid $180.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2010, 8:37 PM
Chas,

One thing you might consider while looking at drill presses.

Get one with at least a 4" travel in the quill. If you get one with less travel, you will find the need...I did!

When I upgraded it came with greater than 4" .

Aaron Wingert
05-20-2010, 8:42 PM
I have a benchtop Delta and I would not consider it to be a quality machine. The runout is sickening, the switch recently failed, it is noisy, and on and on. I fell for the mortising attachment gimmick and I assure you that such a small press lacks the guts to do a good job in that task. I now have a dedicated mortiser which works great but if you're wanting to do mortise work on the drill press a floor model is probably more appropriate than a benchtop drill press. My floor model Jet is my go-to machine for drilling ever since I got it and the Delta just sits. I do have several other Delta tools and have been happy with them, just not the drill press. My advice would be to try to find a deal on a machine that is of a little better quality.

Edit: Ken couldn't be more correct about the quill travel. Hugely important in woodworking.

Chas Fuggetta
05-20-2010, 10:39 PM
ok, so if not a Delta then what? I'm not opposed to holding off 'till I can get a better machine, but my space is severely limited. Mortising capability is not a must have atm but I do want a machine I can trust to be true and of better than average quality.

Paul Wunder
05-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Believe it or not, but the model #38142 (1/2" chuck, 3/4 horse, 16 speeds, 125 pounds) is one of several Harbor Freight tools that has an excellent reputation among woodworkers at the various forums. It is $219 on line, $199 in the store, and with a 20% off coupon I paid $159.00 at my local HF store. My other tools are Grizzly, Porter, DeWalt, old Rockwell, etc, but I appreciate quality and value. Give it a look.

Chas Fuggetta
05-20-2010, 11:19 PM
ok Ken I'll bit. Why 4" travel?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Chas....say you are building something and you want to drill a precise hole through a 2 x 4....across the 4" width?

When I started turning the little cheap benchtop I had didn't have enough travel to drill through 1/2 of a pen blank.......That's a little over 3 inches IIRC.

IIRC..the cheap benchtop I bought at one of those regional...traveling tool shows. I think I paid $40 12 years ago or so.....it had about 2 1/2" of quill travel.

Steve Southwood
05-21-2010, 8:16 AM
How about his one? http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G7943-Speed-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top/dp/B0000DD6TD

Sorry I can't get the grizzly site to open so this is from Amazon. Doesn't quite have the quill travel Ken is recommending but close. Lots of speeds.