PDA

View Full Version : Raptor setup tool

Nick Fournier
05-20-2010, 3:45 PM
Has anyone ever used one of these?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Universal_Jigs___Raptor_Set_Up_Tool__ _raptor?Args=

I tend to spend a lot of time getting my grinding jig set up correctly, and then it seems every so often my angle is off and I end up having to re-sharpen. This tool seems like it would potentially solve the problem.

Alan Zenreich
05-20-2010, 3:51 PM
I have the complete set here. Pretty foolproof, and made well.

Edward Bartimmo
05-20-2010, 5:01 PM
Nick,

I agree with Allen. If I am not mistaken they were designed by one of the guys from CraftSupply. With the Raptor you can always set a consistent angle to grind because the distance from the tool rest/grinding jig to grinder wheel is repeatable with minimal setup. The only other item that you will need is the Jamieson Grinding Jig Guide (page 30 of CraftSupply Catalog for $12.50), which consistently sets the depth of the gouge in the sharpening jig. There is no more quess work of what's that angle and laying the tool up against the wheel. I am burning up less steel and time correcting incorrect angle grinds as well as spending significantly less time setting up to grind in the first place.

Everyone that has seen it used in my garage is planning to buy it. It has demystified sharpening and angle guesswork. My tools are now sharp more often since I am not postponing the hassle of setting up the grinder for different angles and tools. In addition, I don't hesitate to sharpen several tools at the same time each with a different angle...there no longer is a concern about being able to re-set a specific angle.

For what it worth...good luck.

Allen Neighbors
05-20-2010, 7:11 PM
Edward, what is the length of tool tip extension in that grinding jig?
Also, what is the angle of the leg in the vari-grind?

Thom Sturgill
05-20-2010, 8:38 PM
Allen, the OP link page has a pdf with complete setup info. Calls for 2: extension and 2 degree leg angle.

I have the entire setup also and love it. Takes all the guesswork out and gives consistent results and quick. I wrote the angle on the tool handles once I had what I wanted.

GLENN THOMAS
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
The sharpening video by Mike Darlow includes templates to make some jigs very similar to these. I borrowed this video from my club library and made a photo copy of the template. The concept is very similar and if you can borrow the video all you need is some scrap wood and a few nails.

Edward Bartimmo
05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Allen,

I think Thom addressed this. The tool tip should protrude 2" out the face of the sharpening jig and the angle for the leg is 23 degree. There is an instructional page with pictures and details available on the CraftSupply page with the Raptor Jigs. I have attached a link below. Once I lined up the 23degree angle on the sharpening jig's leg I drilled a hole through the leg and jig and used a bolt to secure this angle. This seemed like a fairly secure method that unlike welding it together would still allow me to change the angle on the jig should I ever desire.

To be honest I don't see why I would need to change the angle of the jig's leg when I can simply advance the arm toward or away from the grinding wheel, which effectively changes the grind angle. In essence this is what the Raptor jig does...each one sets the distance on the arm from the grinder wheel to achieve a specific angle.

For the money it is a point and shoot decision that you will never regret. If you buy the full set it cost the same as one date-night to the movies with candy, drinks and popcorn.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/pdfs/raptor.pdf

Edward, what is the length of tool tip extension in that grinding jig?
Also, what is the angle of the leg in the vari-grind?

Allen Neighbors
05-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Thom and Edward: Thanks for taking the time. I now have the pdf form, and finally understand how to use the raptor. Thanks a lot. :)

Nick Fournier
05-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Sounds like these work well, I think I'll pick up a few different angles to hopefully speed up my sharpening.

Alan Zenreich
05-21-2010, 1:05 PM
There's also a video on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmolYysGzpM

Larry Marley
05-21-2010, 4:53 PM
Good idea, I made my own in about 10 minutes. It does make repeatable setups quick.

Jim Underwood
05-21-2010, 9:06 PM
Larry,
Can you give us a picture of yours?

Jamie Straw
05-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Sounds like these work well, I think I'll pick up a few different angles to hopefully speed up my sharpening.

I just got the set a couple weeks ago, and it has been a help for sure. No more craning my neck and squinting to see if the chisel bevel is fully seated. Note, though, that it works with the original VeriGrind, but not the VG-II.

ron hossack
05-22-2010, 9:57 AM
Nick,
The only other item that you will need is the Jamieson Grinding Jig Guide (page 30 of CraftSupply Catalog for $12.50), which consistently sets the depth of the gouge in the sharpening jig.
Being visually challenged I'm trying to see this in my 'minds eye'. Is that all this does is set the depth?

Is this a 'fixed' depth or adjustable?

Jamie Straw
05-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Being visually challenged I'm trying to see this in my 'minds eye'. Is that all this does is set the depth?

Is this a 'fixed' depth or adjustable?

Yep, here's a picture. I didn't even spend the energy to drill a hole in a block of wood. I use an old-fashioned U-shaped magnet (short, squat) and slapped it on the steel router table that my grinder sits on, 2" from the edge. Energy conservation.;)
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/products/main/jamieson-grinding-jig.jpg

Larry Marley
05-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Larry,
Can you give us a picture of yours?

here is what I have been using.....

Jim Underwood
05-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks Larry. I'm still wondering how you come up with the geometry for that and verify your angles? Trial and Error?

I'm currently reading the grinding section in Techniques of Woodturning by Mike Darlow, hoping that I can answer this question.

Larry Marley
05-22-2010, 8:08 PM
First I set up the Oneway fingernail jig so I was getting 40 degrees on the tool. Then I cut the pointed part of the gauge to rest in the tool rest, held it in place and marked the radius of the wheel, then cut that end.

Does that make sense?

Jim Underwood
05-24-2010, 1:44 PM
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I kinda wondered if that would work.

However, as I read through Darlow's section on sharpening, I'm realizing that even this method doesn't entirely ensure 100% accuracy. The reason is that different bevel lengths, angles, tool diameters, and wheel diameters will give you varying results.

What I see from your gauge is that the distance between your points touching the wheel is at the maximum which minimizes angle error.

I guess that if our setup minimizes uneccessary tool grinding that's the best we can hope for.

Thom Sturgill
05-24-2010, 3:23 PM
The only advantage I see to the raptor over Larry's gauge is that the raptor also sets the angle of the platform. Larry's has the advantage that If you wanted an odd angle, you could create a gauge for that precise angle.

Larry Marley
05-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Thom makes a good point. The one I made requires that the fingernail fixture is set at the same angle, and the tool is mounted in the fixture with the same extension as Oneway describes. But it is nice to be able to return to the grinder and repeatably hit the same angle. it works for any of my gouges.

I attended an all day demo with Dave Hout last Saturday. I highly recommend it if you get the chance. He explained how the accumulative angle on the gouge varies with the tool angle and it's rotation to the point that with a bowl gouge ground to 40 degrees, you rarely cut at the 40 degree angle.

steve johnson
12-08-2013, 10:12 AM
here is what I have been using.....
Larry, do you have detailed instructions on your homemade jig?
thanks

Dave Mueller
12-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Like everyone discussed above, I like to use a grinding setup jig to save time and unnecessary tool loss to grinding. The thing I don't like about the Raptor is that it requires you to use their grind, not yours. Instead, make the geometry to fit your way of grinding. Just grind your tool the way you always do, and before making any adjustments, make your own setup gauge for that specific tool and grind. Then, every time you use the gauge, the grind is quickly set up and reproducible. You don't need any plans to make your own, just follow the pictures in this prior thread. I have a different one for each tool. You can also use the same design to make one to set up the platform for scrapers and parting tools. Just cut a flat that rests on the platform in place of the "pointy" end.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?200824-Wolverine-new-idea&p=2083792&highlight=#post2083792

Tim Leiter
12-08-2013, 12:14 PM
I bought all the Raptor set up tools and I like them. I can get consistent angles with them and no guess work. I know the angle I want and I just use the correct Raptor. They are very well made and heavy, they should last a long time........................Tim.