PDA

View Full Version : Coffee cup finish

David Warkentin
05-20-2010, 3:31 PM
Anybody have a good finish for the inside of a coffee cup? I know that coffee could be hard on some finish but surely there is something that would work. I also know you can get kits and probably inserts but I want to make it all out of wood, segmented. Thanks in advance, David

Prashun Patel
05-20-2010, 4:13 PM
Curious! I'd guess hot coffee used daily and washed with soap and water would kill any finish just by abrasion.

The best I can figure is frequent applications of Walnut oil. However, that's going to affect the taste and slickeriness of your coffee. Sure you wanna do this out of wood? I vote for an insert.

Hey, what about a high temp epoxy? Once cured, I think most finishes are 'food grade' - but get confirm from an expert b4 you go believing me on that.

John Pratt
05-20-2010, 5:05 PM
[QUOTE=Shawn Patel;1427196]Curious! I'd guess hot coffee used daily and washed with soap and water would kill any finish just by abrasion.
QUOTE]

People wash their coffee cups? Sure, for guests and the ones in the cupboard, but the one in the shop hasn't seen a cleaning in quite some time.

Scott Hackler
05-20-2010, 6:23 PM
Disclaimer..(I am not an expert) :)

I would think that for a usable coffe cup, you would need to try something like an epoxy based clear finish. Probally similar to that 2 part stuff people use to make tables with doodads floating inside the clear tops. That would be liquid proof and fairly durable, but I doubt dishwasher safe.

Allen Neighbors
05-20-2010, 6:26 PM
David, I've wracked my brain for years, trying to figure this one out!! I've finally settled for stainless steel, wrapped in wood. It'll epoxy in, with 2-ton epoxy, and will last virtually years and years, and you can wash it if you want to, without worrying about the interior.
I put a wood wrap around a 20oz walmart travel mug, that wouldn't sit still in my truck's cup holder (too narrow on the bottom). This was a test for the next one.
I plan on buying those stainless steel drinking containers when I see them the next time. Probably won't be able to find them, now that I want them. You can turn a lid that you'd have to remove to drink...??
John Pratt.... I understand your comment: I had an old friend that had a cup he drank coffee from for about 30 years, and he never washed it out. Just rinsed it out with a little coffee from the pot on his shop stove. :D

David Warkentin
05-20-2010, 7:19 PM
Is that two part epoxy thick enough to not run while it dries? How would you apply it to a verticle surface and not have it run? David

Allen Neighbors
05-20-2010, 8:02 PM
David, if you're talking to me, when I made the wooden wrap for my mug, when I got it to the point that it would fit, I just squirted the entire double tube of epoxy into the bottom of the wood 'cup', mixed it up, then used a thin paddle to spread it up onto the sides of the cup, and then inserted the mug. I planned on the glue to "settle in" around the mug base. It worked.
And to answer your question, it will run when applied to a vertical surface.
The cup I made to insert the mug into was not segmented. Just a cup, turned from Turkey-foot Pinion Pine, with 1/8" sidewalls and 1/4" bottom.

Scott Hackler
05-20-2010, 8:39 PM
David,

The stuff I'm talking about is pretty thick, about the consistancy of cold corn syrup. I would think that if you were able to "dip" it and hang it upside down to dry, it might work. But that is just a theory. I have some of that stuff in the shop, I might try a cup sometime.

David Warkentin
05-20-2010, 9:35 PM
Thanks for the answers. David

alex carey
05-20-2010, 10:07 PM
no idea about the epoxy but here is the stainless steel i use.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=19656&ss=093015c5-f4d4-4bd6-9c2e-c41542a19197

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2010, 10:19 PM
David, I've wracked my brain for years, trying to figure this one out!! I've finally settled for stainless steel, wrapped in wood. It'll epoxy in, with 2-ton epoxy, and will last virtually years and years, and you can wash it if you want to, without worrying about the interior.
I put a wood wrap around a 20oz walmart travel mug, that wouldn't sit still in my truck's cup holder (too narrow on the bottom). This was a test for the next one.
I plan on buying those stainless steel drinking containers when I see them the next time. Probably won't be able to find them, now that I want them. You can turn a lid that you'd have to remove to drink...??
John Pratt.... I understand your comment: I had an old friend that had a cup he drank coffee from for about 30 years, and he never washed it out. Just rinsed it out with a little coffee from the pot on his shop stove. :D

Not sure Allen but our own Brodie Brickey sell those stainless steel inserts. I bought some from him at the Richmond Symposium. You might contact him.

Wally Dickerman
05-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Anybody have a good finish for the inside of a coffee cup? I know that coffee could be hard on some finish but surely there is something that would work. I also know you can get kits and probably inserts but I want to make it all out of wood, segmented. Thanks in advance, David

A wooden coffee cup? Don't put Navy coffee in it....Navy coffee is just right when the spoon disolves after you've stirred the coffee.

Wally

David DeCristoforo
05-20-2010, 11:10 PM
"A wooden coffee cup?"

My sentiments exactly. Even with a stainless steel liner. There's just some things best made from something other than wood.

Allen Neighbors
05-21-2010, 8:40 AM
Wally, that sounds like Airborne Coffee, and Fire Department Coffee, and some that I make around here. :D

Thanks, Bernie, I've seen those at Craft Supplies USA, too... just couldn't remember where. :)

Paul Douglass
05-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I bet this stuff would work, as long as you just rinsed out the cup after using. Don't think it would hold up to repeated dishwasher washing. It would also make your project a little expensive, but you could use it on other things.

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/S-1-Sealer-c32.htm

I assume you are wanting a "cup", not a travel mug.

Ken Hill
05-21-2010, 11:00 AM
A wooden coffee cup? Don't put Navy coffee in it....Navy coffee is just right when the spoon disolves after you've stirred the coffee.

Wally

Marine Corps coffee has to be made in helmets.....and will put hair on your feet:D

What about the butcher block finishes?

David DeCristoforo
05-21-2010, 11:43 AM
"Airborne Coffee...Fire Department Coffee...Marine Corps coffee..."

Texas recipe:

One gallon of water in a pot, brought to a boil.
One pound of ground coffee.
Let simmer for one hour.
Toss in a horse shoe.
If the horse shoe sinks... it ain't done yet.

Brodie Brickey
05-21-2010, 2:49 PM
This mug was finished with System 3 Mirror Coat epoxy. I applied the thick finish on the lathe and then set my PM to rotate as slow as possible for 3 hours. I then dulled the finish down to a matte with 1000 grit sandpaper.

I don't recommend this anymore because the next mug as a disaster. I did basically the same thing and had a light over it while drying. I came in later to find black gnat flies stuck in my finish. I had to sand the entire thing back down.

Mirror Coat also flows into any crack there may be (good), but any imperfections may result in either a bubble or a hole.

http://www.smoothturning.com/shop/gallery/images/bb_yellowheart_paduk.jpg

Bernie: Appreciate the shout out, will I see you in Hartford this year?

Clint Schlosser
05-21-2010, 3:36 PM
Without an insert the joints of your segment will warp and potentially cause leaks. I have tried it. This is what happens with repeated hot cold cycles. An epoxy finish will work but it wont have the longevity of an insert mug.

ron hossack
05-22-2010, 9:12 AM
Curious! I'd guess hot coffee used daily and washed with soap and water would kill any finish just by abrasion.
SACRILEGIOUS!!!!!

Washed and soap to boot????