PDA

View Full Version : Power Outages and Surprise Tool Start-ups

Ray Newman
05-20-2010, 2:24 PM
Where I currently reside, occasional and momentary power outages occurred in the past. Was using the router table one day, power went out, and I started to back out the work as the power came back on again. Almost needed an underwear change!:eek:

Woodcraft now has a plug to prevent unintentional power start ups after a power outage:
www.woodcraft.com/Product/2081073/30191/SafeStart-Systems-SafetyGate-Professional.aspx (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2081073/30191/SafeStart-Systems-SafetyGate-Professional.aspx)

Lee Valley has a 3 outlet GFCI cord that will do the same:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=53253&cat=1,240,41065&ap=1

In the past, I recommended a magnetic starter, but I think these two products might be better as they are smaller and cheaper....

glenn bradley
05-20-2010, 2:43 PM
This is what magnetic switches (http://www.grizzly.com/products/110V-Magnetic-On-Off-Switch/H8240) do for us. I would consider this to be the proper fix (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Magnetic-Switch-Single-Phase-110V-Only-1-HP/G8290) given your unpredictable situation. Cheaper than a whole-shop UPS.

Van Huskey
05-20-2010, 5:47 PM
This is what magnetic switches (http://www.grizzly.com/products/110V-Magnetic-On-Off-Switch/H8240) do for us. I would consider this to be the proper fix (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Magnetic-Switch-Single-Phase-110V-Only-1-HP/G8290) given your unpredictable situation. Cheaper than a whole-shop UPS.

A big ole honking easy to find and hit magnetic STOP switch is just the ticket. I think Grizzly has them that are either 15 or 20 amps for about $20.

Chris Friesen
05-20-2010, 6:17 PM
In case you guys missed it, the Lee Valley cord combines a 3-outlet adapter with a GFCI and a magnetic switch that must be manually reset after a power outage.

If all your tools are fixed then adding a mag switch to each one would work. I like the idea of the LV solution for jobsite tools.

As further input...up here in Canada garage receptacles are not required to have GFCI protection. I think they are in the USA.

Van Huskey
05-20-2010, 6:45 PM
In case you guys missed it, the Lee Valley cord combines a 3-outlet adapter with a GFCI and a magnetic switch that must be manually reset after a power outage.

If all your tools are fixed then adding a mag switch to each one would work. I like the idea of the LV solution for jobsite tools.

As further input...up here in Canada garage receptacles are not required to have GFCI protection. I think they are in the USA.

The LV does have certain advantages.

NEC requires GFCI down here but there are a ton of older garages that do not have GFCI protected outlets.

Brendan Plavis
05-20-2010, 6:48 PM
Well, be thankful it was only backing out of the work... you could have been trying to change the bit/clean the bit in the off time and ended up with a big problem....

I might, if I may, recommend a dead mans switch.... that way as soon as you step off(ie the power goes out so you dont need to juice the tool any more) the power is no longer an issue....

Whole shop UPS could definately cost a pretty penny.....

Van Huskey
05-20-2010, 7:46 PM
I might, if I may, recommend a dead mans switch.... that way as soon as you step off(ie the power goes out so you dont need to juice the tool any more) the power is no longer an issue....

Could work with some tools but a router table one tends to work from a lot of different places and move during the cut so it makes it a poor candidate for a deadmans switch.

Brendan Plavis
05-20-2010, 7:57 PM
I guess you are right on that one....

Mitchell Garnett
05-20-2010, 8:09 PM
I haven't been able to find a current rating or other spec on the safetygate. I looked at the HF mag switches and they have max HP ratings and they get pricey (>$63 for a 3hp).

Do you think the safety gate would work with a PC 7518 like I have in my router table? I've wanted a mag switch for awhile but didn't want to spend over $50 to get it.

And if you are interested in the safetygate, I found them on their own website for less that $24.

Steve Southwood
05-20-2010, 8:31 PM
Be a good time to think about an emergency light too.

Bruce Wrenn
05-20-2010, 8:46 PM
If you have a sub panel in the shop, think about putting whole sub on a magnetic switch. It's just a latching relay (3 pole), two push button switches (n.o,, and n.c.), plus a transformer if using low voltage coil in contactor (aka relay.)

Van Huskey
05-20-2010, 9:03 PM
Do you think the safety gate would work with a PC 7518 like I have in my router table? I've wanted a mag switch for awhile but didn't want to spend over $50 to get it.

I assume the mag switch ratings have a lot to do with current draw and the difference between a inducton 3hp motor and a universal 3 1/4 motor is pretty big. I checked the Griz mag switch I mentioned for $20 and it is rated for 16 amps (7518 is 15) but it mentions 1/2hp. Not being a motor guy not sure what it really means. The Griz 3hp 120v mag switch is $80 BUT handles 32 amps.

glenn bradley
05-20-2010, 9:25 PM
A big ole honking easy to find and hit magnetic STOP switch is just the ticket. I think Grizzly has them that are either 15 or 20 amps for about $20.

Note the links in my post :D.

Steve Griffin
05-20-2010, 9:48 PM
This is not easy for me to say, but the very last place I would spend money on a magnetic switch is Grizzly. I have mostly Grizzly tools, and recommend them every chance I get, but I'm afraid to say they don't have the slightest clue how to make a switch.

3 of my stationary power tools have grizzly switches that stopped working. And yes, I took them apart and cleaned them. I'm cheap and replaced them with regular switches, and so far have been smart enough to turn a machine off if there is a power outage. I don't like depending on me being smart for anything, so I suppose I really should go back to magnetic switches....

With one of my later grizzly purchases, I thought I would out smart the cheap A. switch--I duct taped the entire thing to dust proof it. It still failed.

-Steve