PDA

View Full Version : SawStop Dust Collection Blade Guard Available

Peter Aeschliman
05-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi all,

I'm sure many of you already know this, but I just got an email from Sawstop that they have made the dust collecting blade guard available for order for ICS and CNS owners. Looks like the ICS kit also comes with a shroud for under-the-table collection. The email is below:

Dear SawStop owner,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the new SawStop Dust Collection blade guard. We wanted you to be the first to know that a limited number of these are now available for purchase through your local dealer.

All of our dealers are listed online by zip/postal code at http://www.sawstop.com/locator/.
As these upgrade kits are new to the market, your dealer may not have the kit in inventory and will order it from SawStop upon your request.

For current CB/ICS (Industrial Cabinet saw) owners, please order part number TSA-DC3. The cost is $265 USD.
This is a full upgrade kit for enhanced 99% dust collection above and below the table.
It includes: Dust Collection Blade guard
Under the table dust shroud
Standard Lock-Down zero clearance insert (required for compatibility with guard)
2.3mm riving knife (required for compatibility with guard)

For current CNS (Contractor Saw) owners, please order part number TSA-DC1. The cost is $178 USD.
This kit will provide you with all the pieces necessary to use the new guard.
It includes: Dust Collection Blade guard
Standard Lock-Down zero clearance insert (required for compatibility with guard)
2.3mm riving knife (required for compatibility with guard)

Thank you!
-SawStop Sales

Alan Schwabacher
05-20-2010, 3:01 PM
It sounds like that riving knife can be used with full kerf blades, but with a 3/32" kerf there would only be 0.003" clearance. That seems small to me. For the ICS, I'd guess almost all are using full kerf blades, but for the CS a thin kerf blade makes sense.

Victor Robinson
05-20-2010, 3:18 PM
Any word on when they might be releasing the overarm ducting setup to connect the blade guard and main outlet? I had heard it was supposed to be any day now. I'm curious to see what they come up with.

Peter Aeschliman
05-20-2010, 6:01 PM
No word on that. Although wouldn't it be easy enough to make your own?

johnny means
05-20-2010, 7:04 PM
I've been waiting a long time for this, but ouch, $265.

Ted Baca
05-20-2010, 11:31 PM
I have been waiting for this but about a month ago, I cancelled my order. I am thinking an overarm blade cover might be better, e.g. Excalibur. My thought is that I don't use my blade guard now ('scuze me while I slap my hand)so I most likely would end up not using this where an Excalibur type blade guard can easily be lifted and lowered or swung out of the way.
Any thoughts would be welcome.

Rod Sheridan
05-21-2010, 8:13 AM
Hi Ted, I had an Excalibur guard on a General 650 and really liked it.

It had great dust collection and it could be used when making non through cuts, something a splitter or riving knife mounted guard can't do.

Regards, Rod.

Ted Baca
05-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Rod
That was my logic, and glad to hear that the dust collection was good. I am saving up for one and from what I see it only about 150 more than the Sawstop guard.

Peter Aeschliman
05-21-2010, 3:24 PM
Rod
That was my logic, and glad to hear that the dust collection was good. I am saving up for one and from what I see it only about 150 more than the Sawstop guard.

Even after having only used the sawstop blade guard, I'd guess that it's worth the extra $150 to get the excalibur. Although do keep in mind that the ICS kit also comes with the under-table dust shroud, it's not really apples-to-apples vs. the Excalibur.

The only drawback I can see with the overhead units is that they have to be a lot wider to handle tilted blades. The sawstop blade guard is very narrow and tilts with the blade.

That width means that the overhead units probably require a lot more adjustment when you're ripping narrow strips (fence close to blade). I can't imagine it's all that big of a deal though.

Rod Sheridan
05-21-2010, 4:01 PM
Even after having only used the sawstop blade guard, I'd guess that it's worth the extra $150 to get the excalibur. Although do keep in mind that the ICS kit also comes with the under-table dust shroud, it's not really apples-to-apples vs. the Excalibur.

The only drawback I can see with the overhead units is that they have to be a lot wider to handle tilted blades. The sawstop blade guard is very narrow and tilts with the blade.

That width means that the overhead units probably require a lot more adjustment when you're ripping narrow strips (fence close to blade). I can't imagine it's all that big of a deal though.

Yes, they are wider Peter and I did have to shift it a bit to the left when ripping narrow pieces.

Now I have a saw that has a multi position fence, Long/Short/Low are the 3 adjustments.

Boy is the low fence ever nice for ripping narrow strips, it's only about 1/2" high so it's not in the way of push sticks.

Regards, Rod.

mreza Salav
05-21-2010, 6:41 PM

I have a home made over blade guard and the draw back you state is very true when ripping narrow pieces or tilted blade. On the other hand, the stock blade guards are not usable for non-true cuts but I think you really don't need over blade dust collection for non-through cuts as the blade is covered with the piece and there is really no place for the dust do escape other than "below".

So, for typical blades the advantages are more to the stock blade guard if they have good dust collection.