PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0691 owners

Aaron Wingert
05-20-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger, selling my Jet contractor saw and getting a Grizzly G0691 cabinet saw.

Springfield, MO is a day trip for me so I'm thinking that I'd rather go down there and pick the saw up (I have a pickup truck) than have it shipped. Plus I want to check one out in person before making the decision to purchase. Not to mention I enjoy checking out the Grizzly showroom.

My question is: How is the saw packaged/crated? I'm sure that it is crated in one or more crates, but I'm curious how much assembly is necessary. Basically, will I have to lift the entire 570 pound saw from the truck at once or can I uncrate it in the truck bed and take it off the truck and down to the basement in more manageable pieces (trunnion, table wings, cabinet, fence rails, etc.). How assembled is the thing?

(The saw seems to get good reviews but I'd also love to hear pros and cons from folks that have it and use it.)

Charlie McGuire
05-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Aaron,

The basic saw is packaged as a unit - cast-iron top (no wings), motor, trunions, cabinet. The crank handles/wheels are not installed.

The wings are separate as are the fence and side table assemblies.

Aaron Wingert
05-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Bummer. So what you're saying is that there's one REALLY HEAVY piece and a few lighter pieces!

Gotta figure out how to get it out of a pickup truck.

Or maybe I'll buy on Amazon or from Grizzly directly and save the sales tax and eat the shipping...

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Aaron,

From the spec sheet

Shipping Dimensions:
Carton #1

Type.............................................. .................................................. .............................. Cardboard/Wood Skids
Content........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .. Machine
Weight............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ... 450 lbs.
Length/Width/Height............................................ .................................................. ..................... 24 x 30 x 42 in.

Carton #2

Type.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. Cardboard
Content........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ......Fence
Weight............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..... 26 lbs.
Length/Width/Height............................................ .................................................. ....................... 42 x 17 x 7 in.

Carton #3

Type.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. Cardboard
Content........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ........Rails
Weight............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..... 66 lbs.
Length/Width/Height............................................ .................................................. ......................... 67 x 7 x 5 in.

Carton #4

Content........................................... .................................................. ........................................Table Extension
Weight............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..... 30 lbs.

Jim O'Dell
05-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Mine was 3 boxes, IIRC. The main saw, the fence, and the extension table. The wings were strapped to the top of the saw's table, side by side. Some people build a couple ramps out of 2 X 12 with a 2 X 4 perpendicular on the bottom to keep it from flexing, and slide it down out of the bed. Two people should be able to handle that.
It's a great saw! On sale for 1250.00 right now, plus shipping if you go that way. Jim.

Mikail Khan
05-20-2010, 12:42 PM
I have a horizontal I-beam in my garage that I was able to put a chain block onto. I parked my pickup under the beam, hooked up the chain block to the crate and raised it up enough to lift the crate off of the tray. Drove the pickup out of the garage and lowered the crate to the ground.

MK

Aaron Wingert
05-20-2010, 2:31 PM
Thanks guys! To every problem there is a solution, so I'll come up with something. Worst case, I'll pull my trailer to Springfield....It's low to the ground!

James Malcolm
05-20-2010, 5:50 PM
I brought home a G0690 2 weeks ago tomorrow and moved it into my basement. Misc. stuff like the blade guard, side cover, miter gauge, etc come in the crate with the saw. Removed all of them and all of the packaged except the skid. I removed the main CI top to take some weight off up so high. Make sure that you keep track of any shims that might be between the CI top and the base. I used a MasterPlate and Superbar from Grizzly to align the top back up to within .002" excluding the .001" dip in the middle of the MasterPlate. It was my first time and it wasn't that bad.

I used lifting straps "Forearm Forklift" http://www.forearmlifts.com/ looped through the skid to get it off the truck. My helper and I are both 6' tall and were able to lift it off the back of a slightly raised pickup without issue. Also you don't have to bend all the way down to set it on the ground. I've had these straps for 3 years and they are by far the best $20 I ever spent. Home Depot and moving van places sell them. To get the saw down my basement steps, the guy on top used the straps, guy on the bottom lifted the skid. Worked great.

Aaron Wingert
05-20-2010, 8:36 PM
Thanks James. I recently bought a pair of those forearm forklifts and I agree that they're a miracle. Amazing how easy it makes moving heavy furniture and such.

I'm fortunate that I have a walkout/walk-up ramp to my basement so stairs aren't going to be a problem! Getting it from the truck to the ground is the biggest challenge and that sounds like it is manageable.

Van Huskey
05-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Always wondered how well the forearm forklifts worked. Cool.

Curt Harms
05-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks James. I recently bought a pair of those forearm forklifts and I agree that they're a miracle. Amazing how easy it makes moving heavy furniture and such.

I'm fortunate that I have a walkout/walk-up ramp to my basement so stairs aren't going to be a problem! Getting it from the truck to the ground is the biggest challenge and that sounds like it is manageable.

Our local True Value has a rental department. I picked up a heavy duty fiberglass ramp from them for just this purpose. Slide the carton down the ramp on its side them lift it erect. The wings are already separate. I removed my top (watch where the spacers go!) and motor. The top, wings & motor were by far the most weight. I could pick the cabinet up by myself once it was stripped down. There are no mechanical engineering degrees or black magic knowledge required for disassembling/assembling a traditional cabinet saw.