PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ID this wood?

Brandon Weiss
05-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Can anyone identify the wood type in these pictures? It's all the same piece, I tried a bunch of different shots to help show it best I can. This wood comes from a Dining Table and Chair set I'm restoring. Knowing the wood type won't be a necessity but I consider it due diligence to find out what type it is if I can. Thanks for the help.

Extra info: The piece was finished just like the chair picture until I cleaned it up. I took 150 grit to it then 220 to get the finish off and produce a clean surface.

Van Huskey
05-20-2010, 1:34 AM
First I will say I am horrible at this over the internet and usually don't respond but I feel like going out on a limb. It looks to me like paper birch.

Paul Atkins
05-20-2010, 1:43 AM
Looks like 'rubberwood' from 'Asia' used in a bunch of cheap furniture to me.

Van Huskey
05-20-2010, 1:57 AM

Thats why I suck at this! Just had domestics on my mind, I am almost POSITIVE you are correct Paul.

James Phillips
05-20-2010, 5:59 AM
Van and Paul are correct. I have never worked with it but do have a store bought dining set made of it and it seems to be good stuff

Tom Rick
05-20-2010, 6:29 AM
I'm betting mango- another stain as you like it asian wood..

Shawn Morley
05-20-2010, 6:59 AM

I would also agree. +1

John Mark Lane
05-20-2010, 7:15 AM
Shows how ignorant I am, I would have guessed Phillipine mahogany.

Brandon Weiss
05-20-2010, 9:21 AM

The set is in excellent shape aside from the fact my sister in law and her roommate painted several of the chairs....with varying colored oil paints......

If this is "cheap furniture" it does feel pretty solid. Is this worth my time re-finishing? I said restoring in my original post, should have stated re-finishing. My only purpose is to get a little practice refinishing but I'd like to be able to sell it for a buck or two afterwards.

Danny Hamsley
05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
It has all the hallmarks of a tropical hardwood.

James Phillips
05-20-2010, 3:33 PM
The set is in excellent shape aside from the fact my sister in law and her roommate painted several of the chairs....with varying colored oil paints......

If this is "cheap furniture" it does feel pretty solid. Is this worth my time re-finishing? I said restoring in my original post, should have stated re-finishing. My only purpose is to get a little practice refinishing but I'd like to be able to sell it for a buck or two afterwards.

I would do it. This furniture is by no means cheap. It is cheaper than some because the wood is fast growing and available. You could refinish it very nicely.

Thomas Delpizzo
05-20-2010, 5:36 PM
Almost looks like teak. I wonder if it has similar properties?

Neal Clayton
05-21-2010, 12:14 AM
there is no such thing as fast growing high quality lumber, that would be too easy.

John Shuk
05-21-2010, 11:05 AM
I agree about the look of the wood.
I don't like this stuff.