PDA

View Full Version : Make it longer

Gary Breckenridge
05-20-2010, 12:15 AM
I have a Delta Midi Lathe which I like. Recently I wanted to make some legs for a bench. My design called for 17" legs. I looked at my lathe and realized I had a problem. The cast iron extension is heavy, expensive and something I would seldom use. Then I noticed the threaded bolt holes on the end of the lathe. I thought about it and thought I'd give it a try. I built my own 5.25" extension out of oak and cherry. The bolts are 6". It was a bit of a problem getting the holes drilled. I thought vibration might be a problem but it wasn't.

John Keeton
05-20-2010, 6:54 AM
Necessity - the mother of invention!! Frugality - the mother of motivation!! Such great fun when those relatives are visiting at the same time!:D

Excellent solution, Gary, and I for the limited use you have, I don't see why that wouldn't work fine!

Karl Card
05-20-2010, 7:03 AM
I do am in need of an extension for one of my lathes. But I have my jet set up as a dedicated duplicator lathe (pen sets, chess sets, etc) but i have my rikon on a stand and I dont want to have to buy the extension for the stand.... so Ill just wait to see what happens. I do still have my first lathe, a HF special, guaranteed to turn oval pens and etc.. it got me started though so I cant complain to much..

Ingenious what you did for a lathe extension, unfortunately I see me using one alot so I am waiting for a deal on regular one.

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2010, 7:37 AM
Looks great Gary! Always happy to see folks come up with solutions for their turning problems! Looking forward to seeing photos of the legs you turned using the extension!