PDA

View Full Version : Delta or Grizzly bandsaw?

Thomas Delpizzo
05-19-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm new to the forum, but I'm sure there have been quite a few discussions on machinery choices, etc. However, my issue is a bit different.
My local Craigslist has an older Delta 14" bandsaw for sale with 1.5 hp. The saw is actually a Delta/ Rockwell. I figure it to be built during the '60's or earlier. I have heard purists state that Rockwell actually hurt the quality of the Delta equipment. Can't tell myself as I have had no experience with that.

Grizzly, on the other hand, has their 14" bandsaw with 1.5hp motor, extras that you would normally need to buy, such as, fence, resaw fence, internal cleaning brushes, fast blade release, etc. on sale now for $625 plus shipping of $89.

The asking price for the Delta is $300; it's about 1.5 hours away, will eventually need Carters, and other upgrades probably costing another $250 or more. The other possible problem is parts for that model. Any suggestions??

Van Huskey
05-19-2010, 11:23 PM
IF the Delta is in excellent shape you will have a better BS in the end after upgrades for less money. The Carter upgrades and Kreg fence for instance are better than the OEM Grizzly stuff.

Dave MacArthur
05-20-2010, 12:53 AM
I think having the model # is critical. There are quite a few models out there, and there were significant differences. Look at the Delta 14"ers in just the last 10 years, you almost need a PhD to sort out which ones are better. Get a model #, then do a google search on it to read some reviews. Then go to OWWM.com and read up there on that model (OldWoodWorkingMachinery).

You could very well be right about parts availability--maybe your model was right before they improved the tensioner design, for example, and newer available parts may not work. Older is not necessarily better! Folks often mistake "GOOD older equipment can often be acquired for much cheaper prices than comparable current machines" to imply "Older equipment is better".

But that's just not automatically true--many times new stuff has had great design improvements. And they surely made crappy machines in the old days just the same as they do now. However, it is true that much equipment was designed heavier/thicker/beefier in the past, which MAY result in better.

Unfortunately, evaluation of the merits of old machinery can take real expertise, and it's easy to miss some costly/critical problem if you don't know what you're doing, and look it over well.

Good luck!

Myk Rian
05-20-2010, 8:14 AM
Delta, especially it it has 1 1/2hp.

mark kosse
05-20-2010, 8:27 AM
Delta, especially it it has 1 1/2hp.
I agree.

If it is reasonable the delta will always be worth what you paid for it. I can't say that about the grizzly. Rockwell did hurt delta in someways, but not on that saw. It was basicly the same for almost 50 years.

Prashun Patel
05-20-2010, 9:28 AM
I'm gonna be contrarian here. I believe you're talking about the G0555x from Grizzly. It's a fine saw, and you'll find lots of good reviews for it here. You'll save yourself some headache if you buy this one new. I believe it'll have good resale value. I know the smaller G0555 has pretty good resale.

Jerome Hanby
05-20-2010, 9:39 AM
Unfortunately, evaluation of the merits of old machinery can take real expertise, and it's easy to miss some costly/critical problem if you don't know what you're doing, and look it over well.

On the other hand, at least bandsaws are pretty simple. If nothing is cracked, the wheels are coplanar, no noticeable slop in the bearings, and everything runs smoothly when you fire it up, that old iron should make a great saw, especially with that 1.5 hp motor. You can take the difference in the price and go crazy in the Iturra catalog and have one super slick machine.

Jerome Hanby
05-20-2010, 9:41 AM
I agree.

If it is reasonable the delta will always be worth what you paid for it. I can't say that about the grizzly. Rockwell did hurt delta in someways, but not on that saw. It was basicly the same for almost 50 years.

I'd agree. I have the Rockwell and it's running great even after I bounced it off my truck onto the blacktop...

Mark Woodmark
05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
In the past I have owned a Rockwell contractors saw and a Rockwell small shaper. The saw was a very good machine. The shaper had too small a table and was very top heavy without a good sized base. The shaper was a Delta design and not Rockwells. I purchased both new in the late 70's I believe. The saw purchase was right after Rockwell purchased Delta. That said I would opt for the Grizzly. Basically you are paying $164.00 more for the options you mentioned. How much would it cost to put all those on the Delta/Rockwell? Lastly, I think that Grizzlys quality has improved by leaps and bounds from their previous days. They are now good quality machines where I feel brands such as Delta, Powermatic, etc may have slipped some in recent times. This obviously doesnt include the Delta/Rockwell you are looking at. I have three Grizzly machines and like all of them although none are bandsaws

Aaron Wingert
05-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Don't know much about the old Delta's. That 14" Grizzly ultimate bandsaw is a great saw and you can't go wrong with it. Had one until I upgraded to a 19" Grizzly machine. Grizzly is putting out pretty good products for the price and they really stand behind them.

mark kosse
05-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Rockwell bought delta right about 1946 or so. My 1947 28-200 bandsaw is a rockwell.

Sorry, 1945 was the year.

Mark Woodmark
05-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Rockwell bought delta right about 1946 or so. My 1947 28-200 bandsaw is a rockwell.

Sorry, 1945 was the year.

Thank you, I stand corrected. Check out the link below to Deltas history from their website

http://www.deltaportercable.com/AboutUs/delta_history.aspx

mark kosse
05-20-2010, 1:03 PM
Thomas,

I'd like to point out a few more things. Carter's tires look really cool, but their expensive. The orange urethane tires are priced by the set for the cost of one carters. I own 3 delta 14" bandsaws and 1 clone. I have never upgraded anything on them. I did replace blocks, but not upgraded. I also have 3 more of these saws at school, and none of them have ever been upgraded either. Replacement parts, but no upgrade. Upgrade may not be necessary. It depends on you.

I also have a go555 at school. Far superior dust collection, love the option of tension release, I'd own one of my own, but not over deltas. The griz will automatically be worth 33% less when you get it. The delta will still be worth 3-400.00.

Just my .02

Mark Woodmark
05-20-2010, 1:18 PM
Thomas,

I'd like to point out a few more things. Carter's tires look really cool, but their expensive. The orange urethane tires are priced by the set for the cost of one carters. I own 3 delta 14" bandsaws and 1 clone. I have never upgraded anything on them. I did replace blocks, but not upgraded. I also have 3 more of these saws at school, and none of them have ever been upgraded either. Replacement parts, but no upgrade. Upgrade may not be necessary. It depends on you.

I also have a go555 at school. Far superior dust collection, love the option of tension release, I'd own one of my own, but not over deltas. The griz will automatically be worth 33% less when you get it. The delta will still be worth 3-400.00.

Just my .02

The 33% is only important if you plan to sell the thing in the future. I understand most people dont really know this when they buy it. I have a 14" Delta that I have replaced with an Agazzani. The Delta was good for cutting curves, but was just ok at resawing. Also I didnt like the small table and how much the machine would vibrate. This vibration never hindered its preformance, it just somewhat annoyed me. I purchased it new in the early 1980's. I have been trying to sell the Delta for $280.00 and havent even had one call on it

Thomas Delpizzo
05-20-2010, 5:22 PM
Thanks for the opinions. However, sadly, someone grabbed it already :mad: so, I guess it will be the Grizzly! :D

Interestingly, I was teasing one of the maintenance guys here and he mentioned that he has his wife's grandfather's saw. He believes its a Delta! He said he rarely uses it. I told him if they decide to sell it, to keep me in mind. Who knows? I may end up with 2 saws at some point!

Joe Wiliams
05-20-2010, 6:13 PM
Have you looked at Rikon's line?

http://www.rikontools.com/products_bandsaws.htm

Thomas Delpizzo
05-24-2010, 6:16 PM
Have you looked at Rikon's line?

http://www.rikontools.com/products_bandsaws.htm

I haven't. There was a guy on ct's CL advertising a hardly used 18" model. A quick research showed some flaws in the tension system, but it was very tempting especially at the price advertised. Unfortunately on CG you've got to act fast if you want a bs. There is a guy in No. NJ selling a powermatice with the riser block and all the added features. It's also 1.5 hp, comes with a resaw fence, etc. His price is $799. I figured if I could get it for a few bucks less it may be worth it.

Van Huskey
05-24-2010, 6:29 PM
On the Rikon side the 14" deluxe will be on sale next month at Woodcraft for 699.

Thomas Delpizzo
06-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I noted that there's no free shipping. In fact, Woodcraft wants to add another $75 for extra weight!! I figure there's a minimum of $125 in shipping. :mad:

Van Huskey
06-01-2010, 11:13 PM
I noted that there's no free shipping. In fact, Woodcraft wants to add another $75 for extra weight!! I figure there's a minimum of $125 in shipping. :mad:

How far are you from Hartford or Norwalk?

scott vroom
06-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Don't know much about the old Delta's. That 14" Grizzly ultimate bandsaw is a great saw and you can't go wrong with it. Had one until I upgraded to a 19" Grizzly machine. Grizzly is putting out pretty good products for the price and they really stand behind them.

Aaron, I'm curious what drove you to updrade from a 14" Griz to a 19" Griz. I'm in the market for a new Griz BS and am trying to figure out which model is best for me....am looking at 14", 17", 19".

Thomas Delpizzo
06-07-2010, 6:22 PM
about 2 hours from Hartford and about 1.25 hours to Norwalk. But I still have to steal a friend's truck to pick it up.

Chip Lindley
06-07-2010, 10:34 PM
My .02 says the Rockwell is the better deal. It's a bit of real Americana, instead of Chi-cana. I love two-tone gray...much more than metallic green.

Van Huskey
06-07-2010, 10:36 PM
No excuses now, just get the new 513P (Polar Bear Series) 17" saw for $698. Done... :D