PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild nail guns?

rick carpenter
05-19-2010, 9:55 PM
Anyone have luck rebuilding a nail gun? O-rings, etc, not major damage. Thx

Joe Chritz
05-19-2010, 11:20 PM
I have re built a ton of air tools a hundred years ago when I worked for a gas and electrical repair shop. I don't specifically recall any nail guns but I am sure we did some.

There isn't much to them and I imagine a repair kit is likely available from the manufacturer.

Joe

Paul Greathouse
05-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Great last name Rick,

I use the older Senco's, they are very rebuildable. I have done a few minor repairs myself but for complete rebuild I take them to the rebuild guy at the local lumberyard.

As for the new cheaper guns you get in the combo packs, I don't know how they would do.

Dave Lehnert
05-19-2010, 11:30 PM
I live just around the bend from Senco and there are a lot of employees around here who rebuilds them.
I use to live near a store all they sold were Air gun nails and do rebuilds. Maybe that is only a Cincinnati thing.
There is not much to an air gun and have rebuilt them on the the fly during a job. You can buy the piston with the "O" rings and just swap them out. About a 5 min job.

Mikail Khan
05-20-2010, 6:27 AM
I successfully rebuilt a PC Brad Nailer. The kit cost $30 and came with instructions.

Of late I have seen factory refurbished nailers on sale for less that the cost of the repair kit.

MK

Joey Jarrard
05-20-2010, 8:33 AM
I worked selling nails and rebuilding guns in a past life. There is not much to them if you have the spec sheet with a diagram. Get a o ring kit and replace all in the main housing, do this because if the old rings are stiff then you can unseat them when working on the gun. If you do not hear a leak at the trigger do not take apart. The rings there are very small and are under way less stress. Clean the piston and the cylinder we used a parts washer to do this. look for cracks in the cylinder and wear on the rod of the piston. if all looks good then put on the new o-rings. I used dental tools for working with the rings (I have big hands and short fingers - the same reason after working with saws ect and now building CNC routers i have all my fingers):D When you put the rings back in give them a good coat with lythem grease this will keep them supple and help slide them in without unseating. When the tool is back together put 2-4 drops of oil down the air fitting. and test.

Good luck:cool: