PDA

View Full Version : Nova G3-D Turning Chuck

Greg Just
05-19-2010, 9:47 PM
Nova G3-D Turning Chuck - Tool Nut has this chcuk on sale for $79.99 including shipping. I gave the SuperNova2 and really like it. How does the G3-D compare other than being smaller? Are the jaws interchangeable?

Thanks -

Brian Effinger
05-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Greg, all of the jaws are interchangable, except for the power grip jaws.
And $79.99 is a killer deal, IMHO.

Jim Sebring
05-19-2010, 10:52 PM
That's the best price I've seen on a Nova G3 - ever! If I needed another chuck, I'd jump on this deal. I don't need any more 'cause I have 3 SN2s and 5 G3s now. BTW, the adjustment range of the G3 is the same as the SN2.

Alan Trout
05-19-2010, 11:32 PM
I am not sure but I think the G3D is the direct threaded model that is 1x8 thread with a grub screw. It was made specifically for the new Delta Midi lathe. Either way it is a great deal but it is not an insert type of chuck.

Alan

Alan Tolchinsky
05-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Alan I think the chuck you're thinking about is the least expensive one that works with two levers for tightening. I was actually wondering if the TOOL NUT price includes the thread adapter. BTW good name. :)

Bill Blasic
05-20-2010, 6:17 AM
Alan Trout is correct as it was made for Black & Decker (Owner of Delta Products) to go with the 46-460 with a locking screw as the 46-460 has reversing. Alan Tolchinsky is thinking of the Precision Midi that usually goes on sale for $79 that has Tommy Bars. Both are 1" X 8 and do not use inserts. I have several G3's and several Precision Midi's but at $79 I may just have to get another as that price for the G3d is superb and I would use it on my 46-460.
Bill

Alan Zenreich
05-20-2010, 9:02 AM
I was under the impression that the only difference between a G3-D and a G3 is the threading for grub screws (so you can use the chuck with the lathe in reverse). I believe the G3-D ships with a 1"x8tpi insert.

According to Teknatool, the G3 chucks use the same threaded inserts at the rest of the Nova line.

Give Sean a call at ToolNut, he should be able to tell you the exact configuration of his sale item, and what options are available.

Alan Trout
05-20-2010, 9:37 AM
Alan,

I just checked and Bill and I are both right. It is a direct threaded body for 1x8 and does not use any insert. It does have a grub screw in the chuck so it can be turned in reverse. This is a great chuck for a mini/midi with a 1x8 thread and that is a great deal at Tool Nut. I would love to have one for my Comet but work just slowed down a bit so I will hold off.

Alan

Alan Zenreich
05-20-2010, 9:40 AM
Thanks for checking!

Karl Card
05-20-2010, 10:01 AM
uhmmm i am confused here i guess... i have a g3 got it at woodcraft and it was threaded but I also had to buy the proper insert for my lathe.. it just screwed in to the chuck tho... at the time I got lucky because they were running a special and i got the insert for free...

I am under the assumption that you guys are saying you cant get an insert for the g3?!?!

Alan Trout
05-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Karl, There are two different G3 chucks. The standard chuck that is sold in the Nova box is an insert type chuck. It will work with any lathe as long as you buy the proper insert. The G3D has a direct threaded body with a 1X8 thread that does not require an insert and comes in a Delta box.

I hope this helps.

Alan

Steve Braman
05-20-2010, 3:33 PM
OK, maybe a lot. I can't seem to find anything with a search on their website. I am clearly not thinking the right way. Can anyone give me a pointer to find this deal? Thanks

Mikail Khan
05-20-2010, 3:50 PM
Link to thread in Deals and Discounts Forum

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=140548

MK

Michael Mills
05-20-2010, 4:01 PM
An additional difference in the G3-D from the G3 is the jaws. Take a look at the difference in the pictures of the jaws. The G3-D has three serrations/ridges in the bottom of the jaws. Sorta like PowerGrip jaws. I do not remember the specs but I believe the G3-D has a much greater capacity in the spigot mode. I’m sure the specs are out there somewhere.
Mike

Allen Neighbors
05-20-2010, 5:19 PM
I searched on Toolnut, and can't find anything, Nova or G3, or Teknatool. I'd like to have one of them for my Little Vic.

Sean Ackerman NY
05-20-2010, 5:43 PM
I searched on Toolnut, and can't find anything, Nova or G3, or Teknatool. I'd like to have one of them for my Little Vic.

Allen, not sure if you were able to see the email, but this chuck is not being sold thru our site because we have so few in stock and would certainly have resulted in back orders. You can call us at 1-877-TOOLNUT. We're here, including myself, until 7pm EST tonight and 7-7 tomorrow.

All the info in this thread is dead on, great research guys. It's a direct thread chuck, 1 x 8tpi, grub screw so you can run your lathe in reverse. It is THE chuck for the Delta 46-460.

John Keeton
05-20-2010, 6:37 PM
It is THE chuck for the Delta 46-460.That it is! And, the price is phenomenal!

I own two of them, as well as the regular G3 - my first chuck. Great chuck that will do about anything I need to do.

Allen Neighbors
05-20-2010, 6:48 PM
I just ordered one from Sean! You sure can't beat the price! It'll be good to be able to use my other jaws on my Little Vic. :)
I have used that little Compac Chuck for a long time, but I've often wanted to change jaws -- no cigar! :(

Sean Ackerman NY
05-20-2010, 6:57 PM
I just ordered one from Sean! You sure can't beat the price! It'll be good to be able to use my other jaws on my Little Vic. :)
I have used that little Compac Chuck for a long time, but I've often wanted to change jaws -- no cigar! :(

Thank you for the order Allen!

Allen Neighbors
05-20-2010, 7:03 PM
Now that I've ordered it, can someone answer a question for me?
It is the G3 D chuck, that's made for the Delta lathe. Does it use the tommy bars? or is it one of those T-wrenches?
By the way, Greg, thanks for putting this post out there for all of us.

Steve Hayes
05-20-2010, 8:02 PM
It uses the T wrench.

Allen Neighbors
05-20-2010, 8:12 PM
Thanks, Steve. :)

Karl Card
05-20-2010, 8:19 PM
Too many jaws not enough time....lol

Greg Just
05-21-2010, 9:50 PM
I ordered one late this afternoon. Real nice people on the phone and a great deal @ $79.99 and free shipping :D

Sean Ackerman NY
05-22-2010, 9:03 AM
I ordered one late this afternoon. Real nice people on the phone and a great deal @ $79.99 and free shipping :D

Definitely didn't speak to me then! lol

Greg Just
05-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Definitely didn't speak to me then! lol

Nope - initially spoke to Bob and then Tom.