PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by Keeton

alex carey
05-19-2010, 9:39 PM
Here are my most recent pieces. First two are juniper bud vases. The second two are olive vessels with finials. Ive only done one of these in the past and after seeing Keeton get so into them I decided I'd give them a shot. The first finial came out just as I wanted it, no big problems there but the second finial came out terrible. I will never again end the finial with a flat top, it just doesn't seem to work. This finial is a bit longer also.

I am pretty sure I am making the finial in the wrong order. I started with the base of the finial and then moved my way down towards the headstock. Definitely the wrong way to do this, I couldn't get them as thin as I wanted, next time ill reverse it and hopefully get better results.

The bud vases are about 9" tall.
The skinny olive vase is 5" wide, 8" tall with a 5 inch finial.
The wider olive vase is 9" wide and 7" tall with a 6 " finial.

Comments, critiques are appreciates, especially if you have hints on finials.

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Really nice looking pieces Alex. I do like the olivewood. Nice form and finish.

charlie knighton
05-19-2010, 10:01 PM
very nice, best way is to try it, look forward to seeing more experiments

Bernie, you are quick on the draw

Brian Effinger
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Really nice, Alex, especially the larger HF. From what I've learned (which isn't much ;) ) the base of the final should be at the head stock, and you should work your way from the tip to the base in stages - finishing one part before moving on.

Inspired by JK, huh? I guess turnabout is fair play - we corrupted him, now he's doing the same to everyone else! ;) :p :D

James Combs
05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
I believe you are right about the finial turning direction. I have only turned one but I started from the pointy end (at the tailstock) and worked toward it's base at the headstock. If you haven't seen it check it out here. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=139575

Doing that way I didn't have any problems wiht the thin parts. because they were always hanging off a unturned large stable piece.

Baxter Smith
05-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Like the shape of the large olive piece the best.

Steve Schlumpf
05-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Alex - very nice work on everything! Really like the form on the largest HF. Very nice!

Finials are one of those things that come with practice. I have a few finials that I turned that were so ugly that I kept them to remind me of what not to do! Just have fun with it and play with the design. You'll find something that will work for you!

Tom Giacomo
05-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Nice work, the color and finish are well done.

John Keeton
05-20-2010, 7:13 AM
I am humbled!:o

Alex, I think you are well on your way! The others are right, you need to turn the finials in the opposite direction. And, on the really thin ones, I completely sand and finish as I go, so that the very tip is complete, and I don't have to go back for anything. I work my way back to the base in sections after first making some layout marks on the rounded stock.

One other tip - I turn finials at 4,000 rpms and any vibration transfers straight to the tip. If you have a very long, thin tip, it can have a tendency to fray with vibration. I have found that putting a small drop of thin CA on the tip, and quickly wiping it off, keeps the tip intact.

The last form is really neat IMO. The form, character of the wood, and the void really make a neat piece.

Keep at it!

Roland Martin
05-20-2010, 7:23 AM
Great job Alex, as with most others, I like the larger HF the best. The Olivewood is really attractive and the finish is great.

alex carey
05-20-2010, 5:18 PM
Thanks for all the comments, I was turning the finial around 2200, next time ill ramp up the speed a bit more.

David E Keller
05-20-2010, 6:50 PM
Nice forms and gorgeous wood all around. I really love the look of olive, and you've done a nice job with it on these.