PDA

View Full Version : Some More In-Law/Out-Law Pens

James Combs
05-19-2010, 9:30 PM
This should be the next to last batch of pens for my siblings, in-laws, and out-laws.:) If my count is right I have only two more to make as soon as I pick up a couple of specific blanks and/or kits or maybe it was one of each... getting forgetful in these golden retirement years:o In anycase two more should get me out of the free pen business.;)

151106 151107
This one is a chrome slim line using black and white ebony wood. I had some trouble with the black imbedding into the white from sanding but it dosen't show in the photos.

The finish is 4 coats of medium using a method I read about here on the creek. It has been sanded with miro mesh to 12000 grit. I just switched from thin CA. Seems to be a lot less wasted CA. The medium dosen't drip and goes on just as smooth.

BTW whomever suggested using the paper towel as an aplicator, here is a big thanks;). I tried to find your name to thank you personally but no luck yet.

151108 151109 151110
Here we have four slim lines one gold and three chrome. From left to right we have gold with Eastern cedar, chrome with Eastern cedar, chrome with walnut, and chrome with cherry. Same finish as above.

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Those are some really nice looking pens James. I think the in-laws/out-laws will love them.

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Beautiful pens James! Love the color of the cedar!

brian watts
05-20-2010, 5:36 AM
really nice looking pens James..cedar is very nice..

John Keeton
05-20-2010, 6:50 AM
JD, you are a pen making machine! No wonder the relatives come to visit. All are nice, and the ebony makes an eye catching pen, but I like the cedar, as well.

James Combs
05-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the great comments Guys. I love all my relatives but I'll sure be glad to get out of the free pen business.

David E Keller
05-20-2010, 7:46 PM
Nice work on the pens. Your finish is really coming along as well... These look great.

James Combs
05-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Nice work on the pens. Your finish is really coming along as well... These look great.

That's one of the advantages of using my relatives as Ginny Pigs:D. At least I got something out of all the free pens.;)