PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding

Josh Bowman
05-19-2010, 8:27 PM
I do turning on and off. I've made pens, bowls and table legs with my shop smith. I want a more serious lathe and need some help. I've currently got my sights on the following:
Laguna 18" x 47" for $1854
Jet 16" x 42" for $1800
Grizzly 18" x 47" for $1295
I'm a little nervous about the electronic stuff but think it would be nice to go less that 700 rpm's and even reverse.
So how reliable is the electronics and are they worth it? Am I looking at good lathes and do any of you own them and have an opinion?
Thanks in advance.
Josh

alex carey
05-19-2010, 8:44 PM
EVS is definitely worth it, had my mustard two years and NO problems with the EVS yet. It had a 5 year warranty and so does the Jet so I don't have to worry about it for a while.

David DeCristoforo
05-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't know anything about those lathes but every tool I have ever owned that had a "brain" has eventually failed. I have lots of tools that have been "lobotomized" but some are not worth the trouble. I try to avoid electronics whenever possible. When it comes to tools, the simpler the better. Of course this is only my opinion and I have been accused many times of being "old school. Maybe I am but I've also been around long enough to know how quickly five years can pass...

Jim Sebring
05-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Sometimes price isn't the only consideration. Jet has a 5 year warranty, and an enviable rep for their service. Grizzley also has excellent service. Laguna makes great products, but their reputation for enthusiastic service response seems to be lacking .

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Of those listed the Jet is the only one that I would even think about. 5 yr warranty and excellent customer service.

Steve Schlumpf
05-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Josh - I have had my Jet 1642 for 3 1/2 yeas now and love it! Very reliable and has done everything I have asked from it! To me, now that I have used it for a while, the EVS is a must have!

Karl Card
05-20-2010, 3:39 AM
I have a jet 1014i and a rikon. I realize these are smaller than what you are wanting but when I was thinking of going bigger I was told by different folks here on the forum that I would not be happy with the grizzy.. while grizzly does make some wonderful tools this is not one of them. The reasons given to me at the time where heavy vibration, hard to get perfectly lined up.
With that being said I would stay away from the shopfox also which is basically the a grizzly in an upper color scheme.

I absolutely love my rikon, of course it is a smaller lathe, but comparing it to the jet it seems the rikon is a tighter machine. Not a lot of slop in it.
The jet does a good job but I do not like little things about it like the indexing screw is just that "a screw". Whereas the rikon is a pin that locks the head into place.

This is another personal note also, my next lathe will have evs and also reverse. yes it may go out, but it may not and the things it can do to make turning easier are valuable to me.

Roland Martin
05-20-2010, 6:45 AM
IMO, the Jet would definitely be my choice between these. I've got the 1642 2hp and love it.

Josh Bowman
05-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Ok, I've now got a Jet 1642 in my sights....even though Lauguna is competeing hard to get may business (they will give you assessories).
Concerning the Jet, is the 2 HP 220 volt significantly better than the 1 1/2 HP 110 volt?

Richard Madison
05-22-2010, 11:45 PM
There have been numerous posts by 1.5 owners who seem well satisfied with their machines. I bought the 2.0 just so I would never have to wonder if I should have bought the 2.0 instead of the 1.5. Mine is also about 3-1/2 years old and has been through a few storms with no electronics problems. It did refuse to run after one storm. Just pulled the breaker and left it off for 10 minutes. Turned breaker back on and it rebooted and was fine. I now pull the breaker when I know that bad, stormy weather is on the way. Some people unplug every night, and some don't.

alex carey
05-23-2010, 4:07 AM
Size of the motor depends a bit on the size of wood you plan on turning, if you plan on doing coring you should go with the 2, if you plan on doing a lot of larger bowls then you'll want it, if you really only do smaller stuff and only every now and then you will do big stuff then it might not be necessary. Also keep in mind that you'll need 220 outlet, I don't know if you have that setup yet.

Like Richard said, a lot of people are satisfied with 1 1/2, but if you get it you can't go back.

Karl Card
05-23-2010, 5:42 AM
Josh,

All I can say is I wish I had your problem...lol
I never thought that I would want a lathe with more swing due to the small bowls that came off the lathe scared the daylights out of me but now that I am getting wood to stay on the lathe I would love to turn a big ole log...

Whats bad is I have a large bowl blank here now that will make a wonderful bowl and I do not have a lathe big enough to turn it..

If it were me id go for the 2hp... 6 months down the road you may wish you had.. more than likely most people say "i sure wished id gonna head and gotten the 2hp vs. boy id wish i had only gotten the 1.5 hp..

Mike Minto
05-23-2010, 7:32 AM
1 vote here for the Jet - it's been a great lathe the 7 months I've had it.

Jeff Nicol
05-23-2010, 8:22 AM
Since I know a bunch of turners who have the Jet, that is my choice on the list you posted. As you can see it is pretty much the general consensus. But I have the big brother to the jet with the Pm3520B and it is basically the same thing just a bit bigger. The electronics on these machines is proven technology over many years of use in the commercial/industrial industries for pump motors, fan motors, conveyors and many other uses. So that being said being able to start at a very slow speed and having reverse is something you can't do without. Just like having a 4x4 truck up here in the north land, once I had one I will never be without one!

Have fun and spend as much as you can, or the boss will let you! But remember when you do the deed, it is said "Better to ask for forgivness than permission!"

Jeff

Michael Short
05-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I have had the Jet 1642 2 hp model for a year now and love it. I know a few guys with the 1.5 hp model and they have no problems with that model either. One thing to consider is if you have 220 or not. 1.5 hp is 110v and 2 hp model is 220.

I was leaning toward the 1.5 hp originally but got a great sale price on the 2 hp so for me it was easy.

Good luck with your decision.

Josh Bowman
05-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Pulled the trigger. Don't know if this is a good price, but $1929.99 "tax, tip and liftgate shipping" from Tool Nuts and it will be here mid-week.

Nathan Hawkes
05-23-2010, 9:04 PM
Congratulations, Josh! I turn on a PM3520B, which is just a slightly taller big brother. You won't be sorry on your choice. Our turning club has a 1.5HP Jet and a PM3520, and the machines aren't a huge amount different until you start cutting. It is relatively easy even with a dedicated circuit to stop the Jet, or at least bog it down heavily with even green wood. I have to work to really slow my 2HP powermatic, which means a 5/8 irish grind gouge and 3/4" wide 1/16 to 1/8" thick shaving. I guess I could use 3HP, but then again, who needs to rough bowls faster that fast?