PDA

View Full Version : # 8

Cathy Schaewe
05-19-2010, 8:26 PM
So here's #8. This is the last of the walnut laminates from the leftover trim - I've now gotten brave enough to try some other pieces. It's 3 pieces of walnut, 9 ½” wide at top, 3 5/8” wide at bottom, 2 ½” tall, with an inlay of azurite. I haven't buffed it yet, because the finish hasn't cured.

C & c not only appreciated, but welcomed!

John Keeton
05-19-2010, 8:30 PM
Really nice work!! I like the inlay, and that undercut on the rim is super nice. You are ready for some "real wood" for sure!! So, when are you getting the shipment from Mike Smith? He tells me he is down with pneumonia.

Cathy Schaewe
05-19-2010, 8:32 PM
Really nice work!! I like the inlay, and that undercut on the rim is super nice. You are ready for some "real wood" for sure!! So, when are you getting the shipment from Mike Smith? He tells me he is down with pneumonia.

I got the shipment last week or the week before, I think. I asked him to send me an assortment, and he sure did! I was just working on some Mimosa - boy is that hard stuff!

John Keeton
05-19-2010, 8:59 PM
That surprises me on the Mimosa. It is such a weak tree, I thought it would be a soft wood. I knew he had some, and said it should be some really interesting wood. Glad you are trying it out - we will need a report and some pics!

Keep up the nice work on the rim treatments - I really like all the different profiles!

Aaron Wingert
05-19-2010, 9:11 PM
Great piece Cathy. Love the rim and the inlay work.

Donny Lawson
05-19-2010, 9:26 PM
Nice bowl. Where can you get the Azurite and how is it applied?
Donny

Cathy Schaewe
05-19-2010, 9:44 PM
Nice bowl. Where can you get the Azurite and how is it applied?
Donny

I got the Azurite from Arizona Silhouette: http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/
and it's applied like coffee grounds or any other inlay. I've used both superglue and epoxy. Here's a link on that - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=137110

I've found that the "fine" texture works best for me, but YMMV. :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2010, 9:57 PM
Really nice looking bowl Cathy. I really like the inlay on it.

charlie knighton
05-19-2010, 10:00 PM
very nice, inlay....already the curve steepens

George Morris
05-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Well done! Nice form and finish! G

Brian Effinger
05-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Nice bowl, Cathy. I like everything about it - the shape, the rim, and blue inlay goes very well with the walnut.

Jenn Hill
05-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Wow!! That's just beautiful. I love the inlay. Just lovely!

Baxter Smith
05-19-2010, 11:10 PM
I like the rim treatment and the inlay color looks great with the walnut!

Steve Schlumpf
05-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Very nice work Cathy! Great form and the inlay really adds to the piece!

Robert McGowen
05-20-2010, 9:12 AM
You asked for critiques, but I don't really have one. It is very well done. :)

Harvey Ghesser
05-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Beautiful bowl, Cathy! Love the azurite!

You've given me the push to try it myself.:D

John W Dixon
05-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Very nice Cathy. What's your technique for the inlay?

John

Toney Robertson
05-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Very nice Cathy.

I really like the inlay.

Toney

Roland Martin
05-20-2010, 1:11 PM
No crtiques here either. Very nice work, the blue inlay really caught my eye but when you turned it over you really got my attention. Complete success on this piece Cathy.

Cathy Schaewe
05-20-2010, 2:30 PM
Very nice Cathy. What's your technique for the inlay?

John

John - I cut a groove with my nice Ci4 easy detailer - haven't measured, but probably 1/8" or so deep. Put on a coat of sanding sealer, so the super glue won't stain the wood (it won't show as much on walnut, but it's really bad on cherry - DAMHIKT).

Put enough of the stone (I use "fine" grade, because I had a lot of trouble with "medium" - I think that would work better in a larger groove or crack) to fill the groove, then carefully drizzle thin CA over it. Let it dry a little while, then fill in any obvious gaps.

Then I put it back on the lathe and use a carbide tool (ci2 or 3 for me) to cut it down fairly close to level with the surface. At that point, you'll have some gaps, so put on more sanding sealer, and do it again.

Eventually when I have everything pretty close to filled in and level, I put on another coat of sanding sealer (it keeps getting scraped away) I put a coat of thick superglue on top and smooth it out with a finger (some people might be smart enough to wear a glove while doing this:o) to fill in any little tiny voids.

Sand. And do this all at one sitting, because it will get very hard if you wait too long, and be much more difficult to cut down.

Finish as usual.

I used epoxy in the past, but I was told it can "creep" over time, so I don't now.

That's just what I do, I expect others do it differently.

Mark Hubl
05-20-2010, 4:01 PM
I think it looks very nice. Love the inlay and the detail work.

David E Keller
05-20-2010, 7:01 PM
Great work. I love the color and rim treatment... Both add to the overall appeal of the bowl.