PDA

View Full Version : not wood but turned

Mark Hix
05-19-2010, 8:20 PM
I have been spending way too much time on things not related to turning and I needed to increase my inventory so I completed most of these last night. I tend to work in batches, mostly because my mini-lathe is not a variable speed and it is easier to turn the blanks then change speeds to sand.
I am trying to add some color to my display and my website along with some variety from the wood; something to catch your eye as you walk by. Several of them already have homes. I haven't turned a Euro in a long time. This particular color combination has sold well as another style so we are giving it a shot as a Euro. The tubes were all painted black and also the insides of the blanks; turned; sanded to 400; EEE and White Diamond; plastic polish finish. The black cactus has appeared on here before but I liked it so much I included it....I will miss it when it is gone!

The photo is kind of busy, not a good background so please forgive that. I ordered a light tent and lights today so maybe we can improve on that aspect.

John Keeton
05-19-2010, 8:33 PM
Mark, I don't do pens, so I don't really know much about them. But, it looks like you have done an excellent job on these. The four on the left would be my favorites, though.

Karl Card
05-19-2010, 8:37 PM
that is why i go to home depot and act like i am getting new corian countertops... then i get 2 samples, then i go home and 2 samples make 1 pen... lol I do love turning corian. I just wish i could find it thicker so I could make some chess pieces out of

Paul Douglass
05-19-2010, 9:29 PM
that is why i go to home depot and act like i am getting new corian countertops... then i get 2 samples, then i go home and 2 samples make 1 pen... lol I do love turning corian. I just wish i could find it thicker so I could make some chess pieces out of

You can glue pieces together and not even see the seams. I glued up pieces of scraps from my brother's kitchen counter top. This is out of 1/2" thick pieces. Used medium CA

Nice pens, Mark. I don't think any of those are corian, are they?

Jeff Willard
05-19-2010, 9:31 PM
Now try this.

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Mark those are some really nice looking pens. Well done.

Karl Card
05-19-2010, 10:53 PM
You can glue pieces together and not even see the seams. I glued up pieces of scraps from my brother's kitchen counter top. This is out of 1/2" thick pieces. Used medium CA

Nice pens, Mark. I don't think any of those are corian, are they?

Paul,
Yes I realize his pens arent corian but I use corian just because it is alot cheaper than going to woodcraft and paying 4.50 a blank... I actually have piles of corian hanging around due to a merchandising job I had years ago.
I have also glued them up and turned corian and just like you said you cannot tell where the seam is at all.. I would be curious as to what you use to glue them up with. I have used epoxy and a few other things and not good results. I do not like gorilla glue but the gorilla super glue is the only thing I have gotten to work and it seems though I still need to be carefull.

Steve Schlumpf
05-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Nice variety of pens Mark! The colors should grab a lot of attention!

Mark Hix
05-20-2010, 9:14 PM
I appreciate the kind coments....

John, you need to give it a try, I started doing them to learn better tool control....my skew is no longer scary. It helped me pay attention to the details on my bowls and boxes and on my finishes...not that you need the help. I could probably learn just standing in the corner of your shop!

Jeff: I love a challenge and you did a great job on that pen. I don't have the set up for that (yet). I assume you did it like you would a label. Most people cannot do that type of casting justice and I am sure I will have to practice some to reach your level. PR or Alumilite?

Jeff Willard
05-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Polyester resin.

Just jump right in. Follow the directions on the can. It's really tough to mess 'em up-much.