PDA

View Full Version : Time for new delta jointer blades

Jesse Tutterrow
05-19-2010, 7:34 PM
I have the delta 37-190 jointer. The current set of blades are dull and chipped. I ran an Internet search and found blades in two vastly different categories:

1. Delta blades in the $60-$80 range.
2. Low cost blades $12 - $20 range.

A quick search of these forums showed several people liking the blades from Global Tooling. I can get a set for $12.32.

A couple of questions:

1. Are these still good blades?
2. They claim that their steel is T1-High Tungsten High Speed Steel and lasts 20% longer. Does this match with your experience?

Is there another source you would suggest?

Thanks in Advance,

--Jesse

jeff niehenke
05-19-2010, 8:03 PM
I've bought 6 sets from them, 4 for my 8" grizzly and two custom16" knives for my American jointer. Awesome to work with over the phone or by email. As far as quality, my stock grizzly knives sucked compared to global's and I have been very happy with their edge retention. Recently I purchased a makita sharpener and found the global knives sharpened up much better than the grizzlys too and ten fold Better than some friends stock delta planer knives.
Global makes carbide knives for the dewalt 735 now too, not sure for your model.

Bruce Wrenn
05-19-2010, 9:08 PM
+1 on Global's knives. They are a big step up from stock Grizzly's, IMHO. Brian over at Holbern also sells them. As he is on the east coast (FLA) shipping may be quicker, but prices are basically the same. I did order one set that came with a nicked knife, but one phone call and a replacement was on it's way. Often times (but not when you really need them,) Amazon will do a sweet deal on Freuds.

Dan Friedrichs
05-19-2010, 9:20 PM
I have the Global ones as well, and they've held up just as well as the Delta ones.

Jesse Tutterrow
05-20-2010, 9:37 AM
Thanks everyone! I purchased a set of Global's knives.